PDA

View Full Version : Best 70+mph V value 26' to 29'???????

Tab
01-28-2004, 10:42 PM
In your opinion, what is it?

Tom Brown
01-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Hydrostream Vector + Mercury 2.5 liter V6 + 9 foot aluminum pole used as a bow extension.
$6500 turn key... plus 15 bucks for the pole.

Outnumbered
01-28-2004, 10:53 PM
That Dana 29' in the recent HB mag looked pretty sweet and got good reviews. Seems like a lot of boat for the $.
OL

Tab
01-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Tom, Thanks for the exceptional value alert. I believe you are currently in first place in said catagory..........wait hummmmmmm.....if we take that $320 pit bike that has been posted here a lot and put an even longer aluminum pole one 'er....say 23 feet or so, put a wheel under the front of said post, point her down hill with you in a tucked position(helmet on of course), I think, given the right terrain, for just under $600 you might just become the new value king: D

Tab
01-28-2004, 11:16 PM
OL, I also read about the Dana, things sounded pretty positive. However, somewhere recently I thought I read that the handling becomes a bit distinguishable re its characteristics at certain speeds....I'm not currently remembering what it was I read but something about certain handling quirks........? Does this sound familiar at all to you?(I may have it confused with another article?)..

Kim Hanson
01-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Tab
Tom, Thanks for the exceptional value alert. I believe you are currently in first place in said catagory..........wait hummmmmmm.....if we take that $320 pit bike that has been posted here a lot and put an even longer aluminum pole one 'er....say 23 feet or so, put a wheel under the front of said post, point her down hill with you in a tucked position(helmet on of course), I think, given the right terrain, for just under $600 you might just become the new value king: D
Is that a lame attempt at slamming or what:rolleyes: .....( . )( . )....:D Do like those " Cow-Boy Movie's "...Let's Ride!:p

Tab
01-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Kim, Who's "TIT'S" is it you're most interested in? Boys or girls?....Just curious...

OGShocker
01-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Tab
I may have it confused with another article?)..
Yes, you do. That's OK, living in the "Hills" can do this to a fella.:D
The 27' most recently talked about (quirky handling) was the 2750 Lavey. The 27 Dana Offshore received very high marks.
As for the best 26 to 29 V. Drive them all! Test, test, test. That is what we did. Compare apples to apples and buy what YOU feel is the best.
Come by the Boat Show and see me this weekend. We can talk about you moving to the flat lands where things are less confussing.:D
OG(I do not work for Dana Boats)Shocker

roln 20s
01-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Best value- 27' Dana Offshore- beautiful boat. ***boat had nothing but good things to say about it--in fact they said it was a test team favorite I believe. At 69K, a full 27' plus the swim steps, on a triple axle with the 496HO, and 70MPH capabilities- its gonna be tough for anyone else to beat that.
Roln 20s

Outnumbered
01-28-2004, 11:54 PM
I guess the Dana I was thinking of had a 2' pole on the front:D
That is a 27', I stand corrected.
OL

bigq
01-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Dana is a great value for sure, Conquest has a nice 28 that i think they could deal on and if ya have more $ Howard 28.
If you are looking now I think Dana still has that slightly used closed deck with the 500HP Vortec, just dropped the price I believe.

framer1
01-29-2004, 05:30 AM
I have to agree; that Dana in the ***boat mag. looked like a sweet deal.

Kachina26
01-29-2004, 05:57 AM
Got to at least look at Kachina (http://www.kachinaboats.com) I like the ride, don't think you'll get 70 w/o going a little bigger than the 496HO. 26' was 65k + taxnall, fully loaded.

DogHouse
01-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Cheetah CX29 is a good value. Starting at about $50k, it's pretty hard to beat if you're on a budget. Nice boat, not quite as upscale as some of the others, but a really good hull design that works well. For the price of most of the others with a 496, you could get a CX29 with the 525 or 575 Merc and run quite a bit faster.

TPI
01-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by bigq
Dana is a great value for sure, Conquest has a nice 28 that i think they could deal on and if ya have more $ Howard 28.
If you are looking now I think Dana still has that slightly used closed deck with the 500HP Vortec, just dropped the price I believe.
I know there are some very good initial price values on boats out there, and the boats work pretty well too. But I know for a fact there is a Red 2004 Howard 28 Bullet at the boat show with no motor package for sale in the Howard booth. The resale on these boats is incredible, and they are unbelievable to drive at any speed. I personally consider it the best "ALL AROUND" value in that size range. This one at the show is worth looking at, if you have a powerplant in mind, or a stock motor package. I think someone could save a few $$$$$$.:D

Havaparty
01-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Tab check out the Magic 29 or the Sleek 26. Both are very nice boats

Essex502
01-29-2004, 07:17 AM
What defines value in a boat? Initial price? How about resale value after "x" number of years? Anybody have an ideas on the hit each of the above mentioned boats would take when depreciated and resold in, say, 3 - 5 years? Where does the Magic, Sleek, Dana, Howard, Kachina, Conquest, Cheetah, etc. fall when resale is considered?
The true cost and subsequent "value" is the depreciation and cost of maintaining the boat.
Which boats have the best resale value to initial price ratio? Percentage-wise.

Kim Hanson
01-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Tab
Kim, Who's "TIT'S" is it you're most interested in? Boys or girls?....Just curious...
You shouldn't even be asking that, thats a known around the forums:rolleyes: ........( . )( . )........:p

MagicMtnDan
01-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Havaparty
Tab check out the Magic 29 or the Sleek 26. Both are very nice boats
Hey Havaparty! I'm coming back out to see you (your boats) this Saturday - you gonna be there? It was good to meet you last Saturday. :cool:

THOR
01-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Dana is trying to break back into the market and willing to give their 27' away for a good price. They are nice boats.
Warlocks, Laveys, Howards, etc are pricey but well worth the $$$.
I have always loved the Warlocks. They ride well in medium chop and are relatively fast compared to other hulls.
DCBs and Eliminators are proven hulls but are very pricey.
I would have to go with the Warlock or the Dana for price, value and performance.

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Add Shockwave's 25 and 29 to that list of boats to test. You won't be disapointed.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Personally I'm partial to Essex boats and I knwo the ride in a 29 is very nice! Never been in the 25 and I know most people don't like the looks but it's a nice boat IMHO.
Also, look at the Hallett 270, very nice boat as well. I like the layout of the Advantage 28 Victory also. I did crawl around the inside of a Conquest 276 and it was very nice as well.
The price range on all of the boats mentioend aboved from lowest to highest will be a fairly wide margin. It all depends on what it is you want to do with the boat. Bottom line is buy the boat that will best fit your needs and budget.

Tab
01-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Has anybody recently gotten a quote on a 26' Lavey with 496ho?
Has there been any talk of it sharing the alleged handling quirks experienced in the 276 ***boat tested?

superV
01-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Tab
In your opinion, what is it?
You wont find it on the West Coast! :D

Tab
01-29-2004, 09:44 AM
What is the word on the Conquest 276? I went to the show to see it but Keith didn't bring one to show. He quoted me a great price a while back on one, but....I've never seen one and have not heard anything good, bad, or indifferent about them. Wuhdup??

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 09:46 AM
I am really impressed with the writeups on the Conquest 276. It received great marks for overall handling and ran a very respectable top end with a 496HO.
Just keep in mind that the running surface is really like 25.5-26 feet cause the integrated swim step is included in the length calculations.

Essex502
01-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I am really impressed with the writeups on the Conquest 276. It received great marks for overall handling and ran a very respectable top end with a 496HO.
Just keep in mind that the running surface is really like 25.5-26 feet cause the integrated swim step is included in the length calculations.
When and where was it reviewed...I musta' missed it.

Tab
01-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Super V, What are you liking????? I've been talkin to Jo at Pantera a little bit about his 28'. He quoted me pretty good prices on a couple different scinarios. They make very good boats but don't seem to put much time into bitchin gelcoat schemes. Do know they work well in the ocean but don't know how well they would work as Havasu family boat. Again......what do you like?

superV
01-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Tab
Super V, What are you liking????? I've been talkin to Jo at Pantera a little bit about his 28'. He quoted me pretty good prices on a couple different scinarios. They make very good boats but don't seem to put much time into bitchin gelcoat schemes. Do know they work well in the ocean but don't know how well they would work as Havasu family boat. Again......what do you like?
Im in st.louis and the show is not till next week.Im not knockin the west coast boat and as far as looks they are on top.The pantere is a good choice and will hold its value for many years to come.I have to agree on the gelcoat not many of the offshore guys are doing wild gels yet but i bet that will change with all the newbies on the offshore market. I like Formula's allot and profile makes a nice boat the sunsations are sweet. Black Thunder is a good one to look at along with Force,warlock,velocity and powerquest to name a few.Go over to OffShoreOnly and look around. I just think when you start looking over 26' these are the guys to look.They have been doing them for years and dont have the customer service issues allot of the west coast guys are having. And since most of them have dealers you can get service just about any where you may be. As far as Havasu goes none of these boat belong there imo!:wink: Good luck and just keep an open mind.

Steamin' Rice
01-29-2004, 10:44 AM
It depends on what you are looking for in a boat and how you plan to use it... you will have to decide for yourself what is the best "value" for your needs. Value is more than just a low price, as others have pointed out.
If you are interested in a 28 Pantera, here is a great value on a brand new 2003 28 Pantera that has never been registered.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68597
New never titled Pantera 28. Why wait for a new one to be built???
Available minus motor and drive or finished anyway you like. Motors available from a new 496 Stroker producing 620hp [with dyno sheets] or larger power of your choice.
Brand new boat with an MSO. Never titled. Full warrenty.
Boat currently has trim tabs, and gauges installed. Steering has not been installed. I can install the steering of your choice. I have a full hydraulic Imco system on hand and available at cost.
The boat has two covers. A custom full cover and a cockpit cover. The boat has been stored inside since delivered.
BLOWOUT PRICE: $45,000
Also available complete with the following additional equipment:
600hp 496 Stroker Motor with dyno sheets
Race Mounts
CMI Headers
MSD Ignition
Bravo Drive
Full Hydraulic Steering
UNBELIEVABLE!! $74,900
For further Information, Please call or email:
Fred Cecil
843 339 0023
843 537 3400
frcecil@aol.com

Havasu_Dreamin
01-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I thought "Best value" was the topic of the day? ;) :D
RD
You're right. I did throw out some damn expensive boats. :D :cool:

OGShocker
01-29-2004, 11:05 AM
So Tab, are you more or less confussed?:D

rivercrazy
01-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
When and where was it reviewed...I musta' missed it.
I don't remember the specific months but ***boat tested 2 of them in issues within the last 12 months. I know one with with a 496HO that ran in the high 60's.

Essex502
01-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
You're right. I did throw out some damn expensive boats. :D :cool:
But "expensive" doesn't discount value...if an expensive boat keeps 100% of its sales price for 5 years it would be the "ultimate" value as it hasn't depreciated at all.
Folks on here seem to misunderstand "value" and confuse it with inexpensive.
The only way to judge value is to factor in resale.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-29-2004, 11:51 AM
I agree.

fear the turtle
01-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Honestly, don't know much about all these builders other then reputation and what I get from these boards. But if it didn't have to be new, the trader has a 98 Hallett 27 for $63k. May be a good deal, if in like new condition.

Ducatista
01-29-2004, 12:32 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But "expensive" doesn't discount value...if an expensive boat keeps 100% of its sales price for 5 years it would be the "ultimate" value as it hasn't depreciated at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now there ya go talking about Hallett again..
RD <---- has 3 friends that bought halletts all 3 sold them for what they paid or more.
Tab, I would agree with both of these comments. I guy a met in Havasu who sold his 1988 Hallett 23 daycruiser for 19k a couple of years ago, so he could move into a new 24 Hallett. At the time, I just couldn't believe what he got for his bristle 1988 Hallett. Definitely something you want to consider in making your decision. If some boat Mfg's are out of your reach, don't sweat it, there is still alot of nice boats out there to look at and buy. :cool:

bigq
01-29-2004, 02:01 PM
I would think the Dana and Conquest would have great resale value condsidering that the price seems low right now and will only go up. I think you can get thta with a lot of new models. look at the 24 Stealth from Ultra or the new Shockwave cat, both I am sure will be 5-7k more in a year.

dicudmore
01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Cheetah has a big ad in Powerboat magazine this month.
CX29 w/496HO $59,995 or something like that.
Oh yeah, I don't care about resale, not planning on selling my boat anytime soon....