PDA

View Full Version : Poor handling

Davids Baja
09-21-2002, 02:03 AM
My 1997 Baja i92 islander runs great at speed but between 25-40 mph the boat sometimes porpoises despite adjusting the trim.The problem increases the more people in the boat and the only way out of this is to accelerate past 40 (not ideal when towing a skier). The boat has a Merc 5.7 LX and Alpha 1 drive. I run 21" Mirage & Laser 2 props.
I have seen alloy/stainless cavitation plate extentions (would this help?)while on vacation in Florida but stuff like that is in limited supply here in the UK.
All help appreciated.
David

missilemud
09-22-2002, 05:05 AM
sounds like the bottom might be broken free from the hull check it out when you put it on blocks

Davids Baja
09-23-2002, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the tip Misslemud, The boat is on the trailer so I was able to check this out straight away. No problems there though, any other suggestions?

Havasu Hangin'
09-23-2002, 07:52 AM
I don't have a Baja, but sounds like a balance problem- the hull may not able to hold the nose up. Usually, trimming the drive in will solve it (hold the nose down), but if it doesn't, I'll bet trim tabs will help.
I have a set of Bennett trim tabs (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/) on my boat. The boat jumps on plane much faster than without them, and is able to hold the nose down for wakeboading or skiing speeds.
It's also nice if it gets rough, I just drop them down, and the boat plows through the chop...a little smoother ride.

gnarley
09-23-2002, 11:56 AM
David, your problem sounds familiar. Your boat is a deep-V with 20+ degrees deadrise and is around 3500 lbs? Tabs will help ALOT! Mine is 21' and does this trimmed up around 40+ MPH. A different prop would also help. A Cleaver prop would give you transom lift, which would drive the bow down and allow you to then trim properly and stop the proposing or thatÂ’s the theory anyway!

Davids Baja
09-28-2002, 11:15 AM
Havasu Hangin & Gnarley
Thanks for the advice fellas, I'm now going to fit tabs in the off season (it's getting colder here now!) any advice on type?
David

gnarley
09-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Davids Baja:
Havasu Hangin & Gnarley
Thanks for the advice fellas, I'm now going to fit tabs in the off season (it's getting colder here now!) any advice on type?
DavidI sure like my Lenco electric! No hydraulic lines or pump to mess with & a quick install. They were a bit more pricy than the Bennetts but I feel they are a better package & quicker to actuate & less to go wrong & leak. The trim indicator is much nicer on the Lenco's also. I got the racing tabs instead of the standard tabs, a bit longer than they recommended & think it was a wise decision.

TCHB
10-04-2002, 01:19 PM
If your boat weights more than 3,000 lbs I would go with a 19 pitch prop and put trim tabs on. You can also go the cheap way and install a DOLPHIN wing to the outdrive which will give you 30% more trim and could solve your problem. I did install a dolphin on a boat like yours and it made a big improvement in keeping the bow down.

Davids Baja
10-13-2002, 03:14 AM
Thanks for all your help fellas. I'm going to go with Lenco tabs and will keep you posted with the results.
David

gnarley
10-15-2002, 11:12 AM
Davids Baja:
Thanks for all your help fellas. I'm going to go with Lenco tabs and will keep you posted with the results.
DavidDavid what size tabs or model numbers? Let me know before you order & from who & I'll see if the place I bought mine from is less!