PDA

View Full Version : Is Ultra the Same as Galaxy?????

NOTALENT
02-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Been looking at boats in the trader...and they look the same..but are they the same company or a knock off?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/4/62129594.htm

77charger
02-05-2004, 04:42 PM
2 way different companies.Might look the smae but the construction is where the difference will be.BTW i dont own either brand.

Acommanderguy
02-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Ok let me try and explain. a company bought the mold from ultra and hired galaxy boats(now out of business,) now under earnhardt marine. the company that now has the mold and is building that boat is warlock. they are calling it the demon. Its a little bit heavier but and looks alot more custom. and you can option up to a jet. Hope that helps

ratso
02-05-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this thread...:D

Kilrtoy
02-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Almost all 21's are the same, just done different.......

NOTALENT
02-05-2004, 07:31 PM
so do u guys think these boats are put togther well? For the price it sounds pretty good. Im not to familiar with them but I would assume if its warlock who took them over..they are assembled well.

dicudmore
02-05-2004, 08:26 PM
does anyone build a 21 that didn't start out as Ultra's mold?
whoever said it above is right, they ALL look the same.
Ultra, Lightning is ultra's mold. Laser, Essex, Caliber1 etc etc etc
Places like Buena Vista are where you really notice because they're all sitting next to each other anchored and you're looking at carbon copies one to the next except for the name on the side.
Oh, not ALL, the Hallett Vector looks different, but exactly like a Schiada
just my .02

rivercrazy
02-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Thats a pretty funny thing. All these boats did not come from Ultra's. That bottom and deck were around long before Ultra came to be in existance. As for Cobra and Lightning, yea they came from Ultra from what I hear.

dicudmore
02-05-2004, 08:38 PM
RC ur absolutely right about the Ultra not being the first.
I couldn't think of the company that had it first was just using it as an example of the cookie cutter thing.
can't believe i forgot cobra in there. aftershock, etc etc.

rivercrazy
02-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Its all good. You make a good point that many 21's out there share essentially the same bottoms and many the same decks. Or slight variations of the same deck.

dicudmore
02-05-2004, 09:00 PM
kinda like the American Offshore deck boat resembles the Conquest.....

bordsmnj
02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
i got one of those 21's. i think Cole was the origanator. it's mold has been used by like 6 companies. i think there is even another version of it that's 20' not sure wich came first.

77charger
02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
I have an eliminator 21 open bow and the ultra 21xt looks identical,as does the carrera 202xr,caliber1,shockwave,etc.IMO a good riding 21ftr at least in my experience and mine is a 93 it has held up very well i bought it used last year.

skeepwerkzaz
02-05-2004, 11:05 PM
If memory serves, I think that Ultra bought the bottom from Eliminator.
Skeep

SDLifesaver
02-06-2004, 07:05 AM
My .02, Bahner Boats started the whole thing with Ultra. Rod Bahner got into trouble with money, drugs, somthing about the boating industry does this to people. He made a really solid boat. Anyway, he was going to jail and sold all his molds to I believe the guys from Ultra boats of Montclaire. Then John West got involved and he actually paid for the molds and copies were made. From what I have been told, John West did no wrong and paid money legally for the original Bahner molds, that's why Ultra Custom Boats of Montclaire is now called Cobra. The American Offshore 26 is a copy of the Talon 26. The Howard 26 is a copy of the American Offshore 26, the Conquest is a copy of the American Offshore, the Eliminator 27 os a copy of the Conquest and they pay Conquest $1,000.00 for every 27 they make. We have a Howard 21 which is a near copy of the Spectra and a close copy of the Schiada. Most boats get there look from somthing that has worked previously. Where the different companies make their mark is the deck.

flat broke
02-06-2004, 08:34 AM
I think Old Rigger could probably help pin down the orrigins of the california custom style 21' bow rider. That being said, there is a 79 Tahiti 20 in the family that is the same bottom as the advantage 20.5 classic which is the foundation for most of the west coast 20-21 open bow's. But knowing Tahiti's backround that 20 could have been splashed from Bahner. Most of the Bahners I see are early eighties though, so who knows.
The bottom line in regards to the quality question at hand is that Galaxy didn't have a reputation as a particularly awesome builder. There are plenty of these style boats running around and you basically have your pic of manufacturers in that price range. Especially if you look back to a mid eighties vintage boat. As an example, my dad sold his 89 Carribian by Hardin Marine 20.5 open bow in imaculate condition with something like 180-200 hrs on it for 15k 2 years ago. I'd put that boat and many others just like it up against the Galaxy in that ad no problem. From what I can see in the pic, the interior looks a little on the skimpy side and the gauge layout/attention to detail kind of lacks, but thats me looking at a picture of something that may look totally better in person. Shop around and see/test drive lots of boats, then when you pull the trigger you can have some re-assurance that you did your due dilligence and got a good deal.
Chris