PDA

View Full Version : The Doo Dad worked.

Infomaniac
02-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Have always wondered if the Doo Dads I build for Info Jr would work for him on a motorcycle.
Some Already know he was born without any fingers on his left hand. I build these so he can hang on. He can get his hand in and out easily. He wedges his hand upward against the Doo Dad.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211DSC00101-med.JPG
Has never slowed him down on his bikes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211211Jump-med.jpg
We did the pocket bike thing for a week, sold them and finally went for a real motorcycle with a clutch. Bought one today. Flipped the clutch around so he can push it. Installed the Doo Dad so he can hang on.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211Doo_Dad-med.jpg
First day with the thing and he is getting some air. I guess the kid has issues. Will move up to some real jumps when the mud dries up.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211Dillon_Jump-med.jpg

LASERRAY
02-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Thats awesome dude! Nice going.:)

NorCal Gameshow
02-07-2004, 05:52 PM
props to you and little info...

Kim Hanson
02-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I wish you I lived next door to you, you build everything! Just the right way to build an engine would be cool:cool: I can only help you with puter stuff:frown: .........( . )( . ).......

Mohavekid
02-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Very cool!
Your a good dad.

Mandelon
02-07-2004, 06:36 PM
That is so great to see that. His difficulties do not slow him down at all. Kids are so resilient. They just want to have fun.
You are a great dad. ;)

Bow Tie Omega
02-07-2004, 07:49 PM
That is bitchen Info, way to go!

Doug H.
02-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Very cool of you, from the first pic of your boy, i can see he's going to be a big kid :eek: hopefully he likes football :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-07-2004, 08:24 PM
great job Dad, I know you and him are very happy.. what is the next project.. :D

Infomaniac
02-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
great job Dad, I know you and him are very happy.. what is the next project.. :D
Trying to convince mom that he will survive his childhood. The 130+ MPH drag boat rides and dirt jumping are going to send her to an early grave.
Thanks also everyone else. They try to make a big deal out him being "handicapped" when he kicks butt at BMX racing. I do not and never will allow preferential treatment. He does not need it.
He is an awesome kid. ;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-07-2004, 08:35 PM
he probably also doesn't want the special treatment.. he is a great kid if he is doing all this.. I think it is great.. now he knows nothing will stand in his way of doing what he loves. and that is priceless. plus it makes you and mom proud to know you have a little man that does what he wants.. two thumbs up to the boy(little man) and the proud helping parents for doing a great job on raising a boy to do this.. ;) :D

76BARRON
02-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey INFO GREAT JOB!
I HAVE AN IDEA YOU MAY LIKE TO CONSIDER. OVER THE YEAR'S
I HAVE HELPED A FEW FOLK'S OUT WITH LITTLE DO-DAD'S FROM TIME TO TIME (AS I HAVE A MACHINE SHOP) TO HELP PEOPLE OVER COME INJURIES,DISABILTY'S AND THING'S OF THAT SORT.
AND SEEING THE FACE'S :) :) :) OF THESE PEOPLE WHEN THEY LEARN THAT LIFE CAN AND DOE'S GO ON (SOMTIME'S BETTER THAN BEFORE)IS VERY REWARDING! NOW TO MY POINT.
PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR DEVICE(AND PHOTO'S) TO YOUR SON'S DOCTOR'S OR ANY REHABILATION CENTER'S OR ANYONE WORKING WITH DISABLED KID'S AND ADULT'S. IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE IN THE PAST THAT ANY GADGET,DODAD THAT CAN HELP SOMONE REGAIN THEIR MOBILITY,SELF RESPECT
AND SOMTIME'S THEIR LIFE! IS SOMTHING THE DOCTOR'S AND PHISICAL THERIPIST ARE ALMOST ALWAY'S INTERESTED IN AS THEY HAVE MANY PATIENT'S DAY IN AND DAY OUT. AND A GOOD IDEA LIKE YOUR'S JUST MIGHT BE WHAT THEY NEED FOR SOMEONE ELSE! SORRY FOR BEING SO LONG WINDED BUT I COULD NOT READ YOUR POST AND NOT RESPOND:D
REMEMBER SOME OF THE GREATEST INVENTION'S IN THE WORLD CAME FROM GUY'S LIKE YOU WHO WERE JUST TINKERING AROUND!

mbrown2
02-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Info...that is pretty cool...I am pretty sure he will be building engines like his dad some day real soon..:)

OutCole'd
02-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Info, my hats off to you. That is awsome. Seeing him jump, what disability?
Never let anything slow him down.

Infomaniac
02-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by 76BARRON
Hey INFO GREAT JOB!
I HAVE AN IDEA YOU MAY LIKE TO CONSIDER. OVER THE YEAR'S
I HAVE HELPED A FEW FOLK'S OUT WITH LITTLE DO-DAD'S FROM TIME TO TIME (AS I HAVE A MACHINE SHOP) TO HELP PEOPLE OVER COME INJURIES,DISABILTY'S AND THING'S OF THAT SORT.
AND SEEING THE FACE'S :) :) :) OF THESE PEOPLE WHEN THEY LEARN THAT LIFE CAN AND DOE'S GO ON (SOMTIME'S BETTER THAN BEFORE)IS VERY REWARDING! NOW TO MY POINT.
PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR DEVICE(AND PHOTO'S) TO YOUR SON'S DOCTOR'S OR ANY REHABILATION CENTER'S OR ANYONE WORKING WITH DISABLED KID'S AND ADULT'S. IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE IN THE PAST THAT ANY GADGET,DODAD THAT CAN HELP SOMONE REGAIN THEIR MOBILITY,SELF RESPECT
AND SOMTIME'S THEIR LIFE! IS SOMTHING THE DOCTOR'S AND PHISICAL THERIPIST ARE ALMOST ALWAY'S INTERESTED IN AS THEY HAVE MANY PATIENT'S DAY IN AND DAY OUT. AND A GOOD IDEA LIKE YOUR'S JUST MIGHT BE WHAT THEY NEED FOR SOMEONE ELSE! SORRY FOR BEING SO LONG WINDED BUT I COULD NOT READ YOUR POST AND NOT RESPOND:D
REMEMBER SOME OF THE GREATEST INVENTION'S IN THE WORLD CAME FROM GUY'S LIKE YOU WHO WERE JUST TINKERING AROUND!
Great idea man. I would have never thought about that. Maybe they have seen a better idea to help Info jr. ride a motorcycle too?
I always knew this day was coming and wondered how we would deal with it. The bicycle thing was a done deal.
Thanks again everyone.

MagicMtnDan
02-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Hey Info, your kid jumping his bike and having fun and you making it possible are the two best things I've seen on this board in quite a while!
Congratulations to you both. You get my vote for Dad of the Year!

Jungle Boy
02-08-2004, 07:28 AM
What a cool thing to do. Your boy is very lucky to have handy guy for a Dad.

AZKC
02-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Thats straight up awsome!!! :D

cigarette1
02-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Your son has more going for him than a lot of other kids and one of the most important is a GREAT DAD. If that doesn't teach a kid that he can acomplish anything, I don't know what would.
Good Job Dad
G

FMluvswater
02-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Wow, Info! Right on! :cool: Your son is very lucky to have such a smart, creative Dad. :)

welk2party
02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
I imagine that is what being a father is all about. Nothing more inspiring then that!:) :wink:

Jordy
02-08-2004, 07:29 PM
That is so cool Info. You never cease to amaze me. ;) :D

Sherpa
02-09-2004, 11:05 AM
that is extremely cool you have the vision to make things to help
him out.
too bad not many dads spend as much time with their kids...
beer's to you-!
--Sherpa

Havasu Cig
02-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Very cool!!!
Does he have any problems working the clutch?
Props to you and your son.:cool:

HavasuDreamin'
02-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Great job Info. And a great post. Info. Jr. is one lucky kid. :cool:

78Eliminator
02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Info, which digits is he missing? The do dad looks good but I am wondering if he speed shifts or uses the clutch. That is the only deal I would work on: an easier way to flog the clutch.......
Oh yeah, and BTW, good job! I don't think of your son as hadicapped at all. There is no difference between you installing a do dad, as it is to adjust the spring in the shock for your weight. You're simply tailering the motorcycle for the rider. Nuff said.

Infomaniac
02-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks again everyone. He is missing all of his fingers on his left hand. He has most of his thumb.
What causes this condition is his hand was caught in the ligaments that support the uterus and starved his fingers for oxygen. Could have beren much worse.
He can grip the clutch lever to take off. I let him shift without the clutch when he gets going, just let off the gas. He pushes it in to stop.
Have only ridden the bike twice. I am sure we can improve on the design.

78Eliminator
02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
I was thinking if you made another clutch lever. It could be basically just like the do dad with the sponge cover. It would be like if the clutch lever was turned so it was facing the sky. Info Jr. could shift by his fore arm. Get what I am saying. The motion he would make with his arm, would be similar to the twisting motion he makes when he gives it gas with his right hand. Did I state this clearly or am I not coming across?
I think with that design, he could speed shift with the clutch....

Havasu Cig
02-09-2004, 02:18 PM
78's idea might work....
I have been sitting here thinking of ideas such as dual levers on the other side ect... but 78's idea sounds better.
I raced MX for years and used to shift without the clutch often near the end of moto's where I had arm pump so bad I could not pull the lever. It sounds like this method is working well for him. The only down side I can see is not being able to fan the clutch out of turns ect...but I am sure you guys will figure it out.
Good luck. :cool:

eliminatedsprinter
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Have always wondered if the Doo Dads I build for Info Jr would work for him on a motorcycle.
Some Already know he was born without any fingers on his left hand. I build these so he can hang on. He can get his hand in and out easily. He wedges his hand upward against the Doo Dad.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211DSC00101-med.JPG
Has never slowed him down on his bikes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211211Jump-med.jpg
We did the pocket bike thing for a week, sold them and finally went for a real motorcycle with a clutch. Bought one today. Flipped the clutch around so he can push it. Installed the Doo Dad so he can hang on.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211Doo_Dad-med.jpg
First day with the thing and he is getting some air. I guess the kid has issues. Will move up to some real jumps when the mud dries up.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211Dillon_Jump-med.jpg
Adapted sports is part of what I do for a living and I can't think of a way to improve upon this for your application. :cool: Good job.:D

NastyOne
02-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok... let me put my 2 cents in. First off you are a very cool dad info. Second, I was thinking... they make clutch that works off of a solenoid. You just push a button to shift. I think that might work as well. Catch my drift.
Later