PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a 4 to 5-pin connector?

survey76
02-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Do you guys know of anyone who makes a 4-5 pin connector? My truck, like most trucks, only has a 4-pin connector, and our new boat trailer is setup for a 5-pin. I'd really like to find a 4 to 5 adapter since we tow the boat with different trucks sometimes and it's going to suck to have to have them all rewired.
Thanks,
Dan

Kachina26
02-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Try U-haul. Are you buying the Drone that was at the show?

survey76
02-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Nah, this is for our new <cough>Supra</cough>. ;)
Thanks for the tip though, I'll stop by U-haul on the way home.
-Dan

jackpunx
02-10-2004, 01:40 PM
u haul wont have it.. Ive looked and was not able to find it anywhere.. Your going to have to run another wire from your back up lights and hook up the 5

JetBoatRich
02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Ford has a adapter I got with my last truck? I kept it for this truck and works fine:(
Your talking about the little round plug or the stock one on the new trucks?

jackpunx
02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I think he is talking about the 4 flat (coming from the truck) .. to 5 flat (coming from the trailer). I had the same issue with mine.. its for surge brakes.. Now that I have the new truck... It has the 4 flat and the 7 round...and the 7 round has an adapter for the 5 flat...
Phew..
did that make sense?

JetBoatRich
02-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
I think he is talking about the 4 flat (coming from the truck) .. to 5 flat (coming from the trailer). I had the same issue with mine.. its for surge brakes.. Now that I have the new truck... It has the 4 flat and the 7 round...and the 7 round has an adapter for the 5 flat...
Phew..
did that make sense?
try to plug the four flat in from a trailer:( didn't work for me:mad: but vI had the adapter for the 7 and works fine:eek:

CA Stu
02-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Run a wire from the reverse lights, cut off your 4 pin and wire a fresh 5 pin connector to the truck==> no more worries.
Even better than that, wire in a 7 pin round to your truck and mount it to your bumper. Then you have the capability to either be backwards compatible for older connectors no matter what or just wire 7 pin round pluge to your trailers.
There are reverse adapters down to 4 or 5 pin flat. My truck has a 7 pin and I bought an adapter down to a flat 5 pin for my trailer.
Thanks
CA Stu

TrojanDan
02-10-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a four pin flat on my truck and a 5 pin flat on the trailer. I believe the 5th wire connects to the reverse lights to de-activate/activate the solenoid on the surge brakes to release them for backing up. I know it's a pain in the ass but all you have to do is when backing up the trailer, jump out reverse the plug connection at the trailer to truck connection to upside down, turn on the headlights, and "BAM" you're good to go to back up.
This is just one way of getting around those instances where you have someone's 4 pin flat truck towing your 5 pin flat trailer and don't want to crawl under the truck and connect to your truck's reverse lights.
:cool:

survey76
02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks Dan, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll probably go ahead and have my truck wired up for the 5-pin, but that trick will work on my brother's. I knew you guys would have an answer!
Thanks again all!
-Dan

Back To Havasu
02-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Before you go to any trouble re-wiring, you might want to call a few RV/Trailer supply parts department. They might have an adapter on the shelf somewere. Just a thought, as I got mine at a trailer supply place in Havasu.:)

moneypit
02-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I would also look up a company by the name of westbar or wesbar. They make adaptors. I beleive that I saw one there. I recently got the a 7 pin to 5 flat adaptor. I got it at the rv place in town.

CA Stu
02-13-2004, 04:11 PM
The problem is that the 5 pin connector on the trailer has to have the 5th pin "hot" to prevent the surge braked from engaging, the 5th pin is keyed to the reverse lights.
There is no adaptor for a 4 pin truck to a 5 pin trailer.
The short term answer to your problem is Dan's trick. connect the 5th pin on your trailer to the pin on your 4 pin truck that is controlled by the running lights circuit.
Just turn the plug sideways (perpendicular) so the mated plugs look like an "L" .
Rotsa Ruck
CA Stu

LUVNLIFE
02-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Ca Stu is right there is no adaptor to go that way because you need the wire to release the brakes when backing up. My .02 just get the right plug on the truck then you won't have any problems. In fact wire the seven blade on the truck and get the adaptor to 5 flat. Then you are set to pull any trailor.;)