PDA

View Full Version : Anybody let your kids drive your boat?

Sandbar Mike
02-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Start them early:D
God he had a blast.
I let my 4yr old Dylan steer almost the entire way to havasu springs. I couldn't believe how well he did.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/40Dylan_s_Force-med.jpg

JetBoatRich
02-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Good to teach them young, my son can do the gas and steer now. He loves the sound of the big block:) He's only seven so I still sit in the drivers seat.
My daughter has been driving for a couple years now with me sitting next to her.
Pretty fun to share the experience:D

1stepcloser
02-13-2004, 02:17 PM
My daughter was driving the boat since I can remember.....I put her skills against most on the water.
It's good now, shes almost 19.....having a built in Designated Driver:)

Infomaniac
02-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Here is a short video of Info Jr driving the Cougar. I recorded it on the memory stick by mistake and it shut off just before we got going good.
Hard to film when the smallest push of the throttle makes the whole boat leap and the driver cannot hardly reach the pedal.
He finds it necessary to let off the throttle to turn the wheel LOL
10 year old pilot - blown injected v-drive (http://marineassault.net/Dillon.MPG)

mirvin
02-13-2004, 03:02 PM
That's awsome Mike. Look at that grin:D
My dad used to do that with me too. It made those years before I was able to ski way funner. He even let me do that in the motorhome, much to the shigrin of my mother:D
Mirvin;)

Pointerman
02-13-2004, 03:12 PM
That is great. My son's name is Dylan also. He is only 18 months old though so he won't be driving this season.
How old were your kids before they weren't just sitting in your lap, but actually driving the boat on their own for the first time?
Also, how old before you let them take off on their own in the boat (maybe leaving you on a beach or something)?
Been thinking about this for a couple of months now.

OutCole'd
02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
My son is 11 now, He drives my boat all over parker as long as we are not in a busy area. I am always within 2 feet of the throttle & steering wheel just in case. Plus I have to always tell him to turn down the radio.:D :D

mirvin
02-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey pointerman, I'm pretty sure the answer to your questions are "When they are licensed drivers";)
Doncha have to have a DL to drive a boat?
Mirvin;)

Kim Hanson
02-13-2004, 03:18 PM
All of mine like riding in them, drive they won't do:frown: The HST has too much torque in the steering and screwing with the jack-plate and stuff and the gas pedal is too far away!
The V-Drive:D They don't want to drive it, they just want to be seen in it!..........( . )( . ).......The wife won't go in it! She will this year:cool:
Marcy would only drive that little Banshee, 50 mph. was fast for her:D

v-drive
02-13-2004, 03:19 PM
My oldest son (Bowtie OMega ) drove alot and was quite good.
Brendella Jet was still a little young but was able to hold a straight course but he also got to drive my 5.0 in later years..
;) :cool: v-drive

STGP
02-13-2004, 03:28 PM
My 8 year old drives sitting on my lap. She does great and isn't scared of the throttle. I only let her drive in open water with no traffic. It's good to start them young, it builds self confidence.

spectras only
02-13-2004, 03:37 PM
My son was a year old when first sitting on my lap hanging on.He [now 14 1/2 yrs old] just finished a boating course last week to get a licence to drive on his own , up to 40HP [ 12' zodiac]. He drives my boat only when I'm there with him:D .

AquaBoogie
02-13-2004, 04:06 PM
I let my 3 year old son sit on my lap and steer our first day out on the boat. He had a blast. I couldn't keep him out of the drivers seat after that. As you can tell in the picture below.

Sandbar Mike
02-13-2004, 04:13 PM
There's nothing better than seeing your kids enjoy the river as much you do. They definitly make it awsome.
Mirvin, I remember my Dad doing the same thing with me in his old eliminator jet, Man those were good times.
My son just floors me sometimes with things he does, especially being able to steer our boat for so long, we were getting a hug kick out of it. If he'd get off course little I'd just point tward were we needed to be and he'd get us there.
It don't know whats better raising river rats or being one.
Have a good weekend guys

eliminatedsprinter
02-13-2004, 04:47 PM
My dad first tossed me the keys to the boat and said "Be back in half an hour" when I was 10. He had spent several years letting me drive with him (starting on his lap just like in the above pic) and teaching me about all the buoys, flags, signals, right of way etc, prior to that. And I'll never forget how cool it felt to be 10 years old and on the lake in a small runabout going at full throttle for half an hour by myself....
My son is 10 and my boat is faster than that one was, plus the laws have changed, so my son will not get that expieriance. However he has driven our boat at around 55 mph with me riding shotgun. Maybe next season I'll let him run a little at WOT.:cool:

Mohavekid
02-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Ya gotta start em early.
My son started when he was just 3 or so. He's 9 now and drives quite well. He even pulls me skiing, because my wife can't seem to get the hang of getting me up. My wife is always in the pasenger seat making sure he does'nt get in trouble.
My two daughters don't seem to be as interested in driving, but occasionally they will try.
I learned the same way with my dad way back when.

al cole'holic
02-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Here is a short video of Info Jr driving the Cougar. I recorded it on the memory stick by mistake and it shut off just before we got going good.
Hard to film when the smallest push of the throttle makes the whole boat leap and the driver cannot hardly reach the pedal.
He finds it necessary to let off the throttle to turn the wheel LOL
10 year old pilot - blown injected v-drive (http://marineassault.net/Dillon.MPG)
You gotta love that when dad yells out "GO"....:D

mike37
02-13-2004, 06:21 PM
my son drives and can load the boat on and off the trailer
he was 14 wen we starterd having hin load the boat
my younger boy is 10 and can drive the boat but i dont let him do it by himself

plumb crazy
02-13-2004, 06:50 PM
my sons 12 he drives the boat pretty good this year i am going to teach him how to load it on the trailer. what do you think is that a good ideal.

mike37
02-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by plumb crazy
my sons 12 he drives the boat pretty good this year i am going to teach him how to load it on the trailer. what do you think is that a good ideal.
start now in the off season and by summer he will be have no problems O ya keep your mouth shutt and let him do it
but dont let him do it tell your completly confedind he can

Buff
02-13-2004, 06:59 PM
This is one of the perks for a little kid that has a dad and mom who have a hot boat - getting a feel for horsypower out on the water. (No other boats around of course.) You can tell right away by the look on their little faces they'll be doing this river shit long after we are dust. Good stuff! -buf

Waldo
02-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Yep! Here's Makayla last March (1 1/2 years old). I usually let her steer at a slow pace and she digs it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/17716_2_-med.jpg

Kilrtoy
02-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Damn Skippy.. I can't wait to have kids
Whose the lucky girl
:confused:

Kilrtoy
02-14-2004, 12:38 AM
hell no it dont matter,
but then again, make sure she is not CRAZY

JustMVG
02-14-2004, 01:35 AM
I've let all three of my girls drive, and now when we go they argue about who drives first, the oldest Jackie is learning to back off the trailer but is having a bit of a hard time getting on the trailer straight, but just give her time, here is the middle daughter Kim, with jackie on the left and mom and Somer in the back.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85Kim_driving_Perris1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85Somer_driving_Perris-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/85dsc_437-med.jpg
Mike VG

Wet Dream
02-14-2004, 05:45 AM
My oldest son (7) was afraid of the boat until he drove it. I have to sit there as a booster seat and work the throttle, but he just tells me what he wants to do. Pretty good about it. My youngest (4) is a balls out kinda kid and loves the boat. Loves to drive it too. ;)

24ROD
02-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Yea I let my son drive all the time.......... Oh yea he's allmost 30:p
Mike , as close as I can remember he started steering the boat, around Parker and Havasu at about 3 yrs old:cool:

JustMVG
02-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Lucky kid you got there Rod! It sure is fun passing down the experience and joy that boating brings me. The girls cant get enough , well until they have to clean the boat after a long weekend:)

dankirk
02-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Here's proof:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/617Jessi_driving_boat_2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/617DSC00435-med.JPG