PDA

View Full Version : Who still uses a 56K modem?

LASERRAY
02-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Come-on. I know you're out there!:eek:

GlastronGuy
02-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Fred Flintstone?

LASERRAY
02-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Fred Flintstone? That's pretty funny.:D

redneckgirl
02-13-2004, 10:15 PM
We do, we live in the boon dock according to most people. We can only get DSL from Direct TV and cable (we do have DTV for TV) but it is very expensive for the computer connection. Cable sucks in our area. We could get cable internet, but broke the cable to our house while cutting down a tree in our back yard... and wouldn't give our non digital cable company any money...(actually just got digital cable last year)..I guess better late than never. The phone companies don't even offer high speed internet to us yet. So we are stuck with dial-up till prices come down here. But no traffic or smog, I will live with dial-up in trade.
I just can't justify high speed for getting on HB & RRX. I would much rather spend the money on our house and our 2004 Shockwave Step Skier... :D :D :D
RNG

Krazy K
02-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
We do, we live in the boon dock according to most people. We can only get DSL from Direct TV and cable (we do have DTV for TV) but it is very expensive for the computer connection. Cable sucks in our area. We could get cable internet, but broke the cable to our house while cutting down a tree in our back yard... and wouldn't give our non digital cable company any money...(actually just got digital cable last year..I guess better late than never. The phone companies don't even offfer high speed internet to us yet. So we are stuck with dial-up till prices come down here. But no traffic or smog, I will live with dial-up in trade.
I just can't justify high speed for getting on HB & RRX. I would much rather spend the money on our house and our 2004 Shockwave Step Skier... :D :D :D
RNG
My mom and stepdad live in Paso Robles. I love the Central Coast!! I lived in SLO and Atascadero in 1991 while going to Cuesta. If I ever broke down and decided to move back to CA, Morro Bay would be home. Lucky you!!!
Keith

LASERRAY
02-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Krazy K
My mom and stepdad live in Paso Robles. I love the Central Coast!! I lived in SLO and Atascadero in 1991 while going to Cuesta. If I ever broke down and decided to move back to CA, Morro Bay would be home. Lucky you!!!
Keith My best friend lives in Templeton. Real close to Nacimiento and San Antonio. That's a bonus.;)

redneckgirl
02-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
My best friend lives in Templeton. Real close to Nacimiento and San Antonio. That's a bonus.;)
Ya I know, we think it is Gods' country too. Will give up high speed internet, for a 30 minute drive to Naci anyday. :D :D
RNG

Krazy K
02-13-2004, 10:31 PM
When i lived there, i never made it out to Naci or Antonio. I did get out to Santa Margarita lake, though. Last time I was at Naci, I was about 4 years old. Only remember it by watching home movies.

redneckgirl
02-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Krazy K, Have you visited lately? Naci is a blast. SM Lake is a no touch lake. We don't even waste our time. I have posted picture on HB & RRX but would email or post again if you would like. Naci is low this winter, pray for rain !!!
RNG

Moneypitt
02-13-2004, 10:57 PM
This computer was purchased through LAUSD, came with this 56K set up, AND the internet conection is free forever...Slow as watching a lake fill up when it rains, or grass grow, but FREE...

dicudmore
02-13-2004, 11:07 PM
k I'm guilty also....
slow slow slow. on a good day

RiverForUs
02-13-2004, 11:33 PM
I have a few cousins and an aunt up that way. Atacadero, Templeton, Paso Robles....In fact, one cousin is opening a Malibu boat dealership in Paso in the vary near future (maybe next week or two)

bigq
02-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
This computer was purchased through LAUSD, came with this 56K set up, AND the internet conection is free forever...Slow as watching a lake fill up when it rains, or grass grow, but FREE...
Some things are just worth paying for.
I remember using a 14.6 on BB all text. ah those were the days. :D

Kilrtoy
02-13-2004, 11:49 PM
So what you are saying is you bought it at a yard sale and it is stolen.......
by the way what is this 56 K modem you speak of

JetBoatRich
02-14-2004, 07:15 AM
56k, you get that quick:eek: still to many people using the old dial up to access the internet:mad: I could not imagine going back to that:D

Cas
02-14-2004, 07:23 AM
56K here. I guess people use what's available. I tried to get DSL a couple of months ago but the technician talked me out of it. After seeing how my 56K works using an accellerator and the fact we're so far away from the hub, he said I would not be happy. My neighbor got it and said they definitely don't think it's worth the money here.
Guess I'll wait until the system gets upgraded and continue to only download mpegs before going to bed :D
Haven't checked into the cable yet.

mike37
02-14-2004, 08:08 AM
56k you gota be jokeing right
you only use a diel up modem to fax shit right
hey
redneckgirl see you at naci this summer
lot more hot boaters are hiting are littel lake
cant wait for summer

redneckgirl
02-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Mike37
I can't wait for summer either. We will be hitting the lake tomorrow, still breaking in the new Shockwave got 9 hours on it in 3 afternoons.
I think I was behind you on El C R in Atasc last week. White Ford with an HTM sticker. Not to many of them around. I drive a blue Expedition with a Shockwave sticker on the back, not to many of them around either.
RNG

mike37
02-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
Mike37
I can't wait for summer either. We will be hitting the lake tomorrow, still breaking in the new Shockwave got 9 hours on it in 3 afternoons.
I think I was behind you on El C R in Atasc last week. White Ford with an HTM sticker. Not to many of them around. I drive a blue Expedition with a Shockwave sticker on the back, not to many of them around either.
RNG
that was me I was at the tool outlet
its a littel cold to be on the lake for me but wen we bout are boat
we went out a lot in the winter
let me know how the water level is iv ben thinking of going
out

Ziggy
02-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Here at home but usually just use my biz dsl for most stuff. Mainly email for the wife and all her friends and girlscout bologna.
Using this 56K here at home on a site like this is slooooooow and even slower on RRL.

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Only when I am on the road (and the hotel doesn't have high speed internet).

LASERRAY
02-14-2004, 09:14 PM
The last time that I used a 56K modem was in 2001. From there I went to DSL, and now i've been on cable for the last 3 months. But Adelphia cable modem sucks and if it doesn't improve, i'll go back to DSL. I remember useing a 9600 and then upgrading to 14.4 to connect to Prodigy(are they still around ?) back in the late 80's.:cool:

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I just use it on the road on my laptop. I have a comcast cable modem at home and it rocks. Some hotels I have been staying in recently have a wireless network that you can subscribe to for 5 bucks a day. After using the dial up for a while I overcame my natural cheapness and paid the 5 bucks so I could surf with less waiting around.
You do get spoiled!

NorCal Gameshow
02-14-2004, 09:51 PM
ever wonder why the schools......
oh, nevermind

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I guess free is good if you have nothing but time.......:confused: