PDA

View Full Version : Kachina boats 30ft

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-14-2002, 10:05 PM
im looking at the kachina boats 30 footers.before buying this boat i would like to get as much info as possable good and bad.so for anyone who has info please reply.

SPECTRABRENT
01-16-2002, 07:57 PM
I dont know much about Kachina but I think its also made by Sleek Craft & Conquest. If I was buying a boat over 25 feet I would look into HOward, Hallett, and other high end boat companies.
Brent

LakeRacer
01-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Kachina has been in business for 39 years. It is owned and operated by Louie Majors. The factory is in Phoenix, AZ and they build their own boats. Nothing is farmed out.

spectras only
01-16-2002, 10:34 PM
I remember Hot boat testing their 20.5 [?} footer with a 460 Ford/berkeley jet next to other makes.It was the fastest of them all!Didn't hear anything bad about them.

roln 20s
01-18-2002, 12:02 AM
I am from phx and have visited the kachina factory numerous times just to look. Their boats are all done in house, not contracted out or owned by anyone else. the gel-coat work on those boats are excellent and the detail and graphic work is unlimited. the amount of boat that you get for the money is good- i mean a 30 foot boat with a 496 in the high 50's with great graphics- that is pretty hard to beat. However, i have heard from friends that warranty work is almost impossible to get there and little problems here and their surface, but once again this is from friends. the performance of the boat is alright- i have been in one before that had a 454 mag. it is a big boat, but fairly light and did i believe right around 60-65 mph. it you want a decent boat at a great price, kachina may be your place, however if ya have the money go an check out howards 28! check out the jan boat trials for ***boat- 104 mph!!! flat out the best people to deal with and a boat that looks and performs great- i visit all the time passing (not an owner of one) but well worth your time! it is a big investment for a boat- i say go all out once!
best of luck

cbudge
01-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Call Howard Boats I believe they have a used 28 Bullet that is the same as new. The 28 Bullet is hands down one the best hull on the market and the quality is unsurpassed.

Gary C
01-18-2002, 10:41 PM
Test for newbee, sorry

JimK
01-19-2002, 10:34 AM
That used 28' Bullet at Howard is a real good looking boat with a Teague 509 for power. Certainly worth the look if you are in the market for something that's really cool.

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-28-2002, 12:00 PM
i just got back from arizona boat show this past weekend and bought the 30ft kachina and im putting the teague engine in it.so i will find out.the cool thing about kachina boats is they have NO SALESMEN.they had people that had already bought there boats giving answers to customers and how they liked boat.all was good.i was very inpressed with the info i got from them ,boat doesnt chime,or porpus,just minor problem with touch ups on little thimgs.there was one older guy that bought 2 30s so he wouldnt have to tow far.one for lake powel and one for california.must be nice.louie (owner of kachina)i asked him about k planes for the boat he said i didnt need them.i asked him why,he said his boats dont need them inless i will be in ocean waters,saved me 2500.00 for k planes that everyone else wanted to sell me.

JenkMonster
01-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Excellent choice. I drove out from Colorado to go to the Phoenix Boat show and was very impressed with the Kachina line. Spent two days there checking out the operation and Louie gave me a tour of his facility. I liked the vibe of the Kachina area at the show. Like you said, it was cool to meet many of the current, and future Kachina owners. I chose the 30 footer too. I liked that bad ass Arizona Speed and Marine 720hp set up. I'll be interested to hear the feedback from Phil's lake tests. I'm leaning on getting the HP500EFI though. I'm really interested in "turn-key" power rather than the little extra MPH and snap of that SC package, without reliability. I'm moving to NorCal in four months, can't wait to get it on the water.
Jenk

B-rad502
01-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Just curious, how much are they asking for the 30 with that Teague 509 set-up?? Which Teague motor is it??

riverracerx
01-31-2002, 09:37 AM
Just buy a Nordic! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-31-2002, 10:22 PM
b-rad the package is 58.000 for boat,30.000 for teague package comes complete with everything turn key.or you can get the 500hp with the vortec supercharger with single ram steering about 750hp 765 torque for 58.000 plus 13.500.

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-31-2002, 10:24 PM
SORRY B-RAD 46.000 FOR BOAT 30.000 FOR TEAGUE PACKAGE.

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-31-2002, 10:29 PM
POWER BOAT WROTE UP A NICE ARTICAL ABOUT KACHINA IN DEC.2001.SO I FIGURE IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE KACHINA BOATS IT MUST BE OPINION,AND NOT FACTS.

BADASS1938CHEVY
01-31-2002, 10:43 PM
I KEEP FORGETTING TO CHANGE FACES ON THESE DAMN THINGS.I TALKED TO BOB TEAGUE TODAY AND HE WAS VERY IMPRESS WHEN HE DID THE LAKE TEST ON THE 30FT KACHINA,AFTER THAT HE GOT WITH LOUIE AND WHATED TO SEE ABOUT PUTTING ONE OF HIS MOTORS IN THE KACHINA.ALSO I TALKED TO THE EDITOR OF POWER BOATS THAT WROTE THE ARTICAL IN DEC.2001.HE SAID BOAT RAN BITCHEN.COULDNT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT BOAT EXCEPT FOR THE MOTOR MOUNTS,I TALKED TO LOUIE TODAY AND HE SAID THE BOAT COMES EITHER WAY WITH OR WITHOUT OFFSHORE MOUNTS.

boatnam2
02-01-2002, 07:19 AM
bac is bob the cooliest guy or what?

havasu boat builder
02-14-2002, 08:02 PM
they build a nice product with low overhead.............most of their graphics are painted on over gel http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif ..........same glass and resin as top builders(although they roll the hand laminated skin instead of squeeges)...........Talk to louie and tell him you were looking at a Sleekcraft and you will get a better deal...................by the way, they do have salesmen.............he is from sllek so he can give you the low down...........good bang for the buck.................happy hunting

BADASS1938CHEVY
02-14-2002, 08:55 PM
Havasu boat builder,can you explain the differance between hand and squeege laminating, why one is better than the other.painting over gel coat ,what can happen?

havasu boat builder
02-14-2002, 10:19 PM
when i say hand lam, i mean not chopper..............using a squeegie you will get the excess resin out of the laminant ..........................they roll a hand laid laminant which means that they use a bristled roller to poke out all the air in the laminant which leaves the resin behind leaving a more resin rich skin..............this can intern lead to later postcure(possible post cure or blistering in the heat) squeegie method will allow you to get the excess resin to be removed through the process...........when people talk of hand laminating, they generally talk of the squee method, verus chop(not many builders of quality use this)..........rolling the skin coat leaves more resin behind and thus more shrinkage and postcure than by doing it by squee(when you can see the fiberglass patern through the gel or paint, that is post cure) gel is alot more durable than paint........especially to solvents such as gasoline..........it doesn't fade as fast, and doesn't blister from the elements as fast.........bottom line more durable.......every boat builder in the us uses gel as a base, but the true custom top notch builder use gel throught....tough as nails

havasu boat builder
02-14-2002, 10:30 PM
the kachina is a hand lam boat(rolled skin), they use quality resin, the same gel as we do, the same carpet, the same glass............................you are just going to lose some of the little things.......................that is a good boat if you can afford a 26, you can get a 30 that will definately last you your lifetime...............i work at a major manufacturer and we probably build a dollar is no object better boat, but if you want to strip the bs down to a best boat for the dollar..........your there.............ask for louie and tell them you've been looking at the sleek and I garauntee you'll get an even better deal..............hbb

havasu boat builder
02-14-2002, 10:36 PM
sorry for rambling...........lol................they build a quality boat p.s. I'm not a homer(work for someone else)

havasu boat builder
02-14-2002, 10:47 PM
pps they will also do pure gel graphics as wild as you want

BADASS1938CHEVY
02-15-2002, 11:23 PM
thanks HBB for your advice.you couldnt of said it better.i just wanted to know if they built a good boat and that i was getting my moneys worth.everybody always says there boat is better and im sure there are alot of boats that are better ,i wanted to know is do they build a good boat,and that im getting my moneys worth.this is my first offshore style boat,i know it is a entry level boat but the high dollor boat comes on down the road.thanks again.....

pleasantcat
02-23-2002, 03:29 PM
i purchased a boat from loui and ill tell you this.. get everything in writing.the boat i got was supposed to do this and that and didnt. when i came to him with this he wanted to put in a bigger boat. now heres where the get it in writing takes place...he was going to sell my boat and get me in a 30 for 50k.with a 540 sc...cool deal eh.. when it came time to happen my boat didnt sell and of course the thirty was now going to cost 80k... my only warning is this watch your back.... the guys down there are great and they do work hard to make you happy its just louie..plus.. resale on a kachina is next to impossible. i only got 1/3 what i paid and that was after 8months of advertising in three states.. also i only got four calls... i wish you luck you might need it.

playdeep
02-23-2002, 09:42 PM
pleasant cat,did you buy the terrible herbst daytona with the shaver motor?

RadeX
02-26-2002, 04:29 PM
I had a great experience when I met with the folks at Kachina,I am on my third boat buy and have really shopped around, and was not very impressed until I went over and met Louie,I purchased a 30 shadow that day and think I recived a awesome deal and a awesome boat. for all the people that want to respond to my post with something like "you should of looked at a howard or fountain" save your key strokes,YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TWIN TURBINE 40'SKATER,people buy the type of boat that fits your budjet, I was a potential 22'ultra owner untill I met the man that made it possible to own a real bad ass boat with all the options for about the same price. I am extremelly pleased with the service I recieved and especially happy with my new boat. Thank you Louie and Missie "any kachina owners in the south bay want to hook up and go to catalina?"

JenkMonster
02-26-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm with you RadeX! I've been very pleased with Louie, Missy and the guys from Kachina. Last month I went to visit them and decided to buy. While I was visiting they opened up their home to me and I feel that was above and beyond, (exceeded my expectations). I've been researching the market for nearly a year and I feel Kachina makes a tremendous boat for a for a great price!!! The hard part for me now is deciding what I want my boat to look like and what power. I'm leaning toward an HP500EFI, but I'm not even close to figuring out the graphics/design. It's even tougher for me because with Louie the skies the limits on graphics and design at no extra $$$. Hell, some of the simple stuff (gel/paint) Kachina does at no extra cost, costs big $$$ at some of the other builders I've checked out. By the way, how did you decide on the look of your boat? What power did you select? What kind of performance have you got? How about your interior? Any advice or tips from your experience is greatly appreciated.
RWJ