PDA

View Full Version : wildest moment in a boat?

FlatUgly
02-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Whats the craziest moment u,ve ever had in a boat

Tom Brown
02-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Getting into Kim Hanson's HST. Little did I know, he constantly gives it the OMC 'Jimmy' foot. :D
Cool ride, though. :cool:

stix818
02-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Playin on the riv south of the AVI (circle beach) the day before the 4th of July last year. We were fighting rough water the whole time out. I decided to make a pass before I brought it in and nailed it, brought the plate up and the boat hit a wake and took off , it chimed and went right while I stayed straight. The pedals slit my right leg open and I somehow stayed in the boat. My mom's husband said he had a bitchen view of the bottom!!!

Kilrtoy
02-14-2004, 06:00 PM
I cannot discuss that on this forum nor show pics,
I will get thrown off the boards.....
Nor can I say who else was there.....

fourspeednup
02-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Haulin through the Havasu swells afternoon of Labor day in my little jet, saw a freakishly huge wave up ahead and got off the gas so as not to launch off it. The bow sat down just like a tunnel hull and stuffed right into it. Sent the cooler into the water and the backseat passenger into me. Thank god the cooler survived;)
(One of the first times in the boat, now I know not to let off:rolleyes: )

Tom Brown
02-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I cannot discuss that on this forum nor show pics,
I will get thrown off the boards.....
Nor can I say who else was there.....
PostCount = PostCount + 1

Forkin' Crazy
02-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Two naked girls and me in an isolated part of the river.......:cool:
Unlike others, I can discuss it but will change the names to protect the innocent..... LOL! ;)

Jbb
02-14-2004, 06:53 PM
A little too much trim ....A little too much throttle....Too little experience ....A little too much wind......A very scary and educational moment!

Mohavekid
02-14-2004, 06:59 PM
I was makin a right turn into 90 Foot Cove right by the dam on Lake Mohave, I had my buddy Steve and his new wife Charlene with me.
We were cruising along at 40 mph or so when I made the turn. It was kind of rough and my 18 foot Challenger jet spun out making the turn. I got thrown hard into the left gunnel and broke two ribs. Steve had a nasty gash on his shin where he was thrown under the edge of the dash. Charlene got tossed into the water and was about 10 feet away from the boat.
The boat almost sank. A flood of water came over the transom and stalled the motor. There was a ton of water in it and fortunately the two bilge pumps were able to get the water out before the chop swamped us for good.
I learned some valuable lessons that day.

coolchange
02-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Only time I had my Sanger in salt water. The increased bouyancy, Increased hook up of the prop, and great sea level air. Hammered it, on the nitrous, off the pedal and in the air makin a right turn on the prop. Gathered it up though.....

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 07:35 PM
The scariest one for me was in the Eliminator 300 offshore. Going about 75 into a 90 degree turn (stupid and a half as I found out) the boat started to skid and the port side tab hooked. The boat violently rolled to the port side, fortunately I was able to idle the throttles before being thrown to the floor. The boat righted itself and all was well again, although I was a little shaken up.
That made me have a healthy respect for the double step bottom. I always wore the engine kill switch lanyard and sos spenders after that one...:eek:

Kim Hanson
02-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Mine Speedo was a 90mph, chine walk...( prop calculater) 110 and it sent me to shore and went home! Lucky, I had on those brown shorts!
Not a person out on the Lake and I thought it would be good for a good blast 1/4 mile from shore, noooooooooo! I didn't even have a PFD, I was just burning away the gas that was in the tank, sun-glass's..hat on back-wards..oh! and shorts.
It only hit 3 time's...sponson to sponson, I take out people with me now, shit happen's when you least expect it too!.........( . )( . ).......Tom, that wasn't near what it does! It's all fixed with a Stainless Steel Gear case now, better cooling.....I just have to keep it below 6 Grand on the tach:D

Ziggy
02-14-2004, 07:40 PM
On 4th of July '03, heading south in our 20 jet with wife and daughter, daughter in bow seat area. cruising about 40-45mph with mild chop, came upon a swell created by an accelerating cabin type cruiser, hit at 45 degree angle which launched us down and up the wake like a ramp. Boat came clear out of water and my view was of blue sky only :eek: , felt verticle :eek: . Landed left rear corner first. Scared the crap out of wife so much so that when we reached the ramp she said we were boat shopping the next day.
Guess it wasn't all bad it that respect, no body got hurt and I got a new boat out of it:D

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Kim Hanson
Mine Speedo was a 90mph, chine walk:D
That was the other vice of that Eliminator 30 foot hull. It has the steepest deadrise of any Eliminator hull. I had it on the lake just over 80 and it started to chine walk. I had no experience with that at all at the time, so I didn't know what to do. It got violent very quickly, and my wifes face got white as snow...
I backed out of the throttle slowly so as not to throw the bow forward and hook. Later I talked to the dealer about it, and he said "so, did you steer your way out of it?". I told him no, how the hell do you do that, and why didn't you tell me this hull likes to chine walk? RRRRRRRR
:mad: :p :mad:
I finally learned where to set the trim tabs so that wouldn't happen.

Waldo
02-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Going for a ride in my uncle's Canyon hull, Blown Gas Flatbottom (1471 Littlefield, 10 liter Arias motor) when I was 14 years old.....
As soon as he was finished (let up) with the down pedal, I shiat my pants and it was only about 110 mph, slight tap of the up pedal and F'N' A...what a ride.
I love my family bowrider but would love to build a flatbottom some day!!!!!!!

Desert Rat
02-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Having to get from Cottonwood to Katherines, 3-4 ft swells and the wind was howling like a pissed off Banchee. It broke the center walk through section away from the floor. It was mind May and about 52 degrees. The Blidge pump was working overtime and so was my prayer meter!!:eek!: :eek!:

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Desert Rat
Having to get from Cottonwood to Katherines, 3-4 ft swells and the wind was howling like a pissed off Banchee. It broke the center walk through section away from the floor. It was mind May and about 52 degrees. The Blidge pump was working overtime and so was my prayer meter!!:eek!: :eek!:
I had a similar one on Lake Mead. Out at sandy cove and the wind came up. I was in my old Marlin Cobra (carrera knock off) low profile 21 footer open bow. I had to putt putt back in at about 15 mph to callville with the bow trimmed way up with water coming over from all sides. that was a very long 4 miles. And my bilge pump was in turbo mode too.:eek:

Ziggy
02-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Desert Rat
........experience up that way too. Major storm blew in and I was taking water in over the bow(probably took in 100+ gal.), just north of Cottonwood in the basin area. Managed to get over to a(any!) shore, campers there were fighting to keep their boat off the beach and from being swamped too.
The four of us held boat in place facing the wind/waves and bilge was ruuning OT....after 20 minutes of wind and another 20 minutes of bilging we finally got back under way. Ironic thing was we'd come up accross the big basin only an hour earlier and it had been total glass, freaky glassy smooth in fact.

91nordic29
02-14-2004, 09:35 PM
across the engine cover of our carerra caliente

King Kuracz
02-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Had a 8 ft punkin seed hydro with a 18 horse Merc when I was 13, stuffed it into a wave nose first and turned it into firewood in about a split second. Got cut to shit, but still around to talk about it.

Dr. Eagle
02-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
Yeah yeah yeah...
Me and the wifey had a little moment or two out in the tules on the delta before too, pretty wild!!!
;)

Ziggy
02-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
:D Been there, done that in the middle of Lake Mojave a little north of the power lines:D One of the stories you probably WON'T tell the grandkids:D :D

Mandelon
02-15-2004, 08:53 AM
I had my first boat out in the ocean for the America's Cup race, back in the last century. 16 foot Bayliner, open bow. It was a rough and windy day. We took a huge wave over the bow and the boat ended up with 4" of 58 degree water all over the cheap glued down carpet. The four of us looked at each other and headed back for the channel.
The other time was south of Avi, floating down the river, getting busy with the wife in the Carrera as the Laughlin to Havasu Jet Tour Boats cruised by. You shoulda seen the looks on their faces as they caught a glimpse of the action. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
02-15-2004, 09:10 AM
I got stuck in a Monsoon in the middle of Havasu years ago in my 18' Southwind Jet. The waves were 3-4 feet, and there was no beach in site, I just kept driving. I had two life jackets on my boat, my wife was wearing both. Ended up finding a beach, hit it fast to get the boat out of water, lightning hit a tree about 30' away, (or so it seemed). After is was over, the only thing sticking out of the water was my scoop & steering wheel, and most of the bow.

Havaparty
02-15-2004, 09:22 AM
That sounds like a really wild ride Bill. Won't have to worry about that in the new ride.

beyondhelpin
02-15-2004, 09:25 AM
I have had a few! Most in one trip to Catalina.
Heading out into Catalina Island in my 22' Scarab. We saw a oil tanker out there and decided to jump its wake. Now this boat has seen a lot of airtime and will launch off of swells beautifully. Not this time. We hit the tanker swell hard and launched big time. When we landed, we came down flat, instead of transom first. Jesus did it jar our teeth and made us all a couple of inches shorter. More bad, no power, none.
No land in sight and no power not even to the radio. Luckily after a 10 minutes of me and the other guys trying to diagnose the problem my wife sees that the main fuse is lying on the floor. And asks of this little thingy is supposed to go somewhere! Plug it in and stereo starts blaring again. I somehow feel like the Blue Brothers now!
Coming back we left a little late and ran into rough seas. Swells were 8' to 10' with lots of wind chop. Calm when we left but came up in a hurry and caught us offguard. We could either idle back or run about 20 to 25 MPH. Neither are good options. We would have gone nowhere idling back so we ran at my slowest planning speed. About ever 5th or 6th wave we would nose into. This would sent a wall of water 2" to 3" thick peeling over the windshield. I stayed clear of it because of the windshield. The people sitting in the back seat if they did not duck when I told them to would have taken a pretty good smack in the face from the water.
In the midst of all this we find a 35' to 40' cruiser adrift with probably 30 people on it. They had lost power and did not have power to the radio either. We called seaTow for them and waited for them to get out there. Did now want to just leave them. The tow boat was a little red boat about 20'. The guy told me he would have no trouble towing them in so we left.
Heres where it really get hairy. We lived in SD and put out in Seal Harbor. So I did not know the coastline very well. We followed a compass heading and the swells and the hour drifting waiting for SeaTow for the cruiser my navigation was not as good as I wished it was. Its getting late and we are losing daylight as we make it back to land. I dont see the entrance to the harbor. I dont know whether to go North or South. I dont want to be in unfamiliar territory with no light trying to follow the shoreline to find the entrance.
My brilliant decision is to get close enough to shore to read a number on the life guard tower and call seaTow and see if they can tell me to go north or south. We are looking and cannot make out the # on the lifeguard tower. Our attention is momentarily diverted to trying to read the #. We are still a ways off shore. Just as we read the number I see the wave building coming at us.
I turn the wheel hard and jam the throttle. We just barely get turned right when the big wave hits us. We go what seems like 90 degrees straight up going over the wave. We hit one more that is cresting and go straight up again. The next one we have moved out enough for it to no longer to be an issue.
Holy Shit I did not think my heart was going to stop pounding. We call Sea Tow and we are about 3 miles south of the harbor and make it back about the time it was really starting to get dark.
The first 2deals were not a to big a problem as far as safety was concerned but the waves at shore were enough for a person to rethink his life!

OutCole'd
02-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Ding Ding Ding We have a winner !!
Originally posted by beyondhelpin
I have had a few! Most in one trip to Catalina.
Heading out into Catalina Island in my 22' Scarab. We saw a oil tanker out there and decided to jump its wake. Now this boat has seen a lot of airtime and will launch off of swells beautifully. Not this time. We hit the tanker swell hard and launched big time. When we landed, we came down flat, instead of transom first. Jesus did it jar our teeth and made us all a couple of inches shorter. More bad, no power, none.
No land in sight and no power not even to the radio. Luckily after a 10 minutes of me and the other guys trying to diagnose the problem my wife sees that the main fuse is lying on the floor. And asks of this little thingy is supposed to go somewhere! Plug it in and stereo starts blaring again. I somehow feel like the Blue Brothers now!
Coming back we left a little late and ran into rough seas. Swells were 8' to 10' with lots of wind chop. Calm when we left but came up in a hurry and caught us offguard. We could either idle back or run about 20 to 25 MPH. Neither are good options. We would have gone nowhere idling back so we ran at my slowest planning speed. About ever 5th or 6th wave we would nose into. This would sent a wall of water 2" to 3" thick peeling over the windshield. I stayed clear of it because of the windshield. The people sitting in the back seat if they did not duck when I told them to would have taken a pretty good smack in the face from the water.
In the midst of all this we find a 35' to 40' cruiser adrift with probably 30 people on it. They had lost power and did not have power to the radio either. We called seaTow for them and waited for them to get out there. Did now want to just leave them. The tow boat was a little red boat about 20'. The guy told me he would have no trouble towing them in so we left.
Heres where it really get hairy. We lived in SD and put out in Seal Harbor. So I did not know the coastline very well. We followed a compass heading and the swells and the hour drifting waiting for SeaTow for the cruiser my navigation was not as good as I wished it was. Its getting late and we are losing daylight as we make it back to land. I dont see the entrance to the harbor. I dont know whether to go North or South. I dont want to be in unfamiliar territory with no light trying to follow the shoreline to find the entrance.
My brilliant decision is to get close enough to shore to read a number on the life guard tower and call seaTow and see if they can tell me to go north or south. We are looking and cannot make out the # on the lifeguard tower. Our attention is momentarily diverted to trying to read the #. We are still a ways off shore. Just as we read the number I see the wave building coming at us.
I turn the wheel hard and jam the throttle. We just barely get turned right when the big wave hits us. We go what seems like 90 degrees straight up going over the wave. We hit one more that is cresting and go straight up again. The next one we have moved out enough for it to no longer to be an issue.
Holy Shit I did not think my heart was going to stop pounding. We call Sea Tow and we are about 3 miles south of the harbor and make it back about the time it was really starting to get dark.
The first 2deals were not a to big a problem as far as safety was concerned but the waves at shore were enough for a person to rethink his life!

beyondhelpin
02-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Yea it might be tough for anyone to top that trip!

Checkmate
02-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Wildest time in a boat was at night with the wife, but we won't talk about that.
The second one would be the time I underestimated the value of the jetovator cable on the jet pump. I was camping on the river and had broken the cable for the trim. Well my dad had come out and he had never ridden in the boat. Well as long as I babied it, the jet nozzle would stay in the horizontal position. We cruised up the river and back. I could not contain myself, I had to show him the turning capabilities of this thing. I was doing about 50 and was getting ready to yank the wheel to the left. Stupid me let off the throttle for a split second which let the nozzle droop. As I hit the throttle and wheel, the nozzle being aimed down lifted the rear of the boat just enough to let the boat do a 180 on it's nose, then proceed to shoot us backwards through the water at about 20 mph. I kept on the throttle so as to not stall out and pulled out of it. My dad looks at me and then the 6" of water on the floor and said "that wasn't supposed to happen, was it?".
Then there was the time I had just gotten the engine back in the boat and took it for a spin. I had been using my 21 ft cabin cruiser most of that year and was shocked at the acceleration of this boat (I had forgotten the feeling). Anyway, my daughter wanted to get in the back so I slowed down. As I hit the gas I noticed it felt like I was dragging an anchor. I assumed it was just bad gas so kept going. All of a sudden the wife says "Sh!t, were filling up!!!" I looked back, saw water coming out from under the engine cover and hit the throttle heading back to shore. Never before had I run WOT through 2-3 footers. Got to the ramp and pulled it right to the concrete. The valve covers were barely above the water, the back seats were floating.
Turned out that a cooling line blew off, pumping water in, then the lack of water through the one exhaust caused the 3" rubber sleeve to melt causing an even bigger leak. Couldn't even pull the boat onto the trailer it was so heavy. Broke the damn handle off the winch.:rolleyes:
Add that to the memories.:wink:

bilgewiper
02-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Back about 1984 had a 18' Wreidt 455 Jet. Like a lot of stories and mistakes it starts out with ”Well, we had a couple of beers......”. Buddy and I decide to launch the boat at Paradise point in the Sacramento Delta and make a run to Lost Isle. First time ultra dependable boat does not start. Borrowed a distributer cap from some shop up the levee. Let Buddy drive he makes wrong turn up a dead end slough and slams it into reverse in such shallow water that it left us coated in mud. Made it to Lost Isle, if you have been there you know what everyone does there...yes, more beers. Left there and while cruising the main channel saw a big cruiser and decided to jump it’s wake. Stuffed the bow........should have quite drinking at driving at that point. But didn’t and now are cruising up some little unknown slough east of I-5 that’s only about 25' wide. My famous last words to my Buddy are “Good thing this is a Jet boat cause I don’t think anybody else would come up here!” I am driving at about 20mph and I see this slight ripple crossing the width of the slough, I drop the reverse gate and give it full throttle. Just as we are almost stopped and the bow is about to go under we hit a steel dam that a farmer had put across his “ditch” so he could still pump water when the tide dropped. The bow eye along with a lot of glass was sliced off and the boat stopped high centered on the steel dam. Broke a few layers of gelcoat off the bottom as we rotated and pushed the boat back off the dam. We then had to “walk” the boat back down the slough for about ½ mile to find water deep enough to be able to get it on plane. With too much adrenalin and beer in the system I floor the foot throttle and rip it’s mount right off the floor. My buddy then used it as a hand throttle as I controlled the steering and reverse gate. Got it back on the trailer with no bow eye and just towed it home without tying it down at all to the trailer. Backed it into the yard at home and rammed the jet pump into my Buddy’s new truck. I learned a lot of lessons on this one trip. The next twenty years have been totally uneventful boatingwise for which I am very great full.

Jungle Boy
02-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Brain dead tonight. Sorry about the triple post. I'm a bit rusty.

Jungle Boy
02-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Oops

Jungle Boy
02-15-2004, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jungle Boy
[B]Smoked a rock that was part of the earth in about 4 inches of water. This kicked the front end down into the shallow water. Me, them engine, battery and all small items were ejected at about 75/80 mph. I woke up in the shallow water and crawled across the river through some trees and across a llamma pasture and over a couple of fences. Blew off one boot and lost my glasses just to top things out.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/259shame_20_1_-med.jpg

Mandelon
02-15-2004, 07:46 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/259shame_20_1_-med.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tom Brown
02-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Wow, JB! You OK? What's up? :(

Tom Brown
02-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
I'm a bit rusty.
That's not rust. That's a subdural hematoma. Talk to us, buddy.
:( :( :(

HOSS
02-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Damn.

HOSS
02-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Hit a rock that was part of the Earth. Thats some really cool shit!:D

OutCole'd
02-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
That's not rust. That's a subdural hematoma. Talk to us, buddy.
:( :( :(
LMAO !!

GlastronGuy
02-15-2004, 09:46 PM
A ride with Keith Zellmer.

Jungle Boy
02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
That was 7 ears ago and my first boat. I've gotten a bit better since then!! Also I was driving after about 8 beers going down a small channel that I should have not been in.

Froggystyle
02-16-2004, 09:41 AM
My wildest experience in a boat (unfortunately for my sexual ego) consisted of a 14' long Zodiac with a 55 hp motor that was partially deflated, a C-130, a dusk sky (BDNT), 1000 feet of altitude, 7 guys with guns, one extra 35 hp motor, 12 5 gallon gas cans, a flooded repair kit and 6' seas.
Oh, and a 72 mile transit to follow. Followed by a beach landing on a rocky, near vertical shoreline through heavy storm surf (in the Zodiac), a recon mission and several flooded drysuits on exfiltration.
Good times...

Drunk tank
02-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I took my 18' eliminator in the ocean once.... I thought I was going to die. :eek: All I could see was my uncles boat far ahead of me when I got to the top of a sweal.... then back down as the seas rose up around me.... I was scared. I'm sure there were sharks following me being like "stupid fawks is whats for dinner"

Wicky
02-16-2004, 05:34 PM
A Hurricane in October of 96' 800 miles south of Point Loma in a 124 foot boat. The boat was made out of Aluminum and it would flex going through the swell. Every 30' swell would bring a wall of water down each side of this fishing boat. I'm sure the bilge was working overtime. Windows were all taped. Every hatch was locked. We headed for Magdalena bay and weathered the storm for the night. Fishing was epic the next day at the Alijos Rocks. I farmed a 100lb+ Yellowfin that next day. I also caught a half dozen Wahoo. All in all, other than losing a day of fishing because of the storm, the trip on the Qualifier Excell was epic. I pretty much slept through most of the storm anyway.
The most suprised I've ever been on a boat is when I spun my Allison at 89 mph. Bruised my shoulder up and cut my foot on the throttle. That was operator error. A part of my first weeks learning curve as RD would agree. Not a single drop of beer I might add.
Another wild moment was chasing down a big block just outside of site 6 headed towards windsor. The chop was that typical windy afternoon down the lake swell. Finally caught the big block and SLAM!!!!! The motor mount bolts break. My motor is hanging of the back only by the remaining intact bolts. The boat settled just fine. I assessed the stituation. Flagged down a fellow whackker and got a tow in to site 6. That night back at Havasu Barneys, Barney replaced the remaining bolts and the broken ones too. Back on the water
to spank some more big blocks at Speed Alley!!!
Wicky

HCS
02-16-2004, 05:49 PM
The sun just when down on a moon lit river. Playing my favorite
tunes while I bent her engine cover...........

DEEZ NUTTS
02-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Clipped an underwater rock at Powell that took the drive off the back of the boat. Worst part is knew it was there. Myself and 3 friends roll around a butte slow cuz I have seen the rock before. Don't see it now so all is well. Its about 8:30 a.m. and over cast so the rocks are not highlighted like usual. Dont find the people we are looking for and head out. About 45mph and a little wider swing on the corner WHAM! External steering ram is bent and the only thing keeping the drive from sinking. Drive shaft broke at U-joints and stayed in gimble keeping enough water out for the bilge to keep up. Not a scratch on bottom of boat and I still use the same prop with no damage. Hit the rock just below the nose cone and the top of fin.
Unfortunatly, you would need an airplane to crash into that same rock today.

quiet riot
02-16-2004, 07:17 PM
My biggest rush has gotta be the first time I ran class IV rapids in my boat after putting it together. I'd floated these rapids before in a raft, but it was a whole new meaning not knowing if I'd lose my boat in them. Once I started to get the hang of it, its the funnest kind of boating I've ever done. Going up em isn't bad, its when you have to stay on plane coming down with the 20 mph current that gets a little hairy.
I was a little freaked when I tossed someone outta my boat turning hard once. He was alright, just did about 10 summersalts across the water. He egged me on to turn hard in my jetsprint style hull, I should've known better without him having the seatbelt on, but there was only so much of his lip about how he could hang on that I could handle.
jd

schiada96
02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Learning to drive my Schiada after rigging from a bare hull. Big block twin turbo motor 45 gears a pretty strong boat. My friend Dennis by my side at the time owner of BAF Cole Cash says that I have to have the plates a little looser when I first stand on it to not load the motor so hard. I did but I went too far and stood it on end, scared the shit out of me. No comp to the outher stories but it got to me.

hoolign
02-16-2004, 07:51 PM
they say a picture is worth a thousand words...welll i got about ten thousand for this one:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/433F1150013-med.jpg

Tom Brown
02-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Whatever heats the knife, my friend. :cool:

hoolign
02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
my shit was in the boat!!

Tom Brown
02-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jungle Boy
[B]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/259shame_20_1_-med.jpg
I love the HydroStream Vector. :cool:

mmered8299
02-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by hoolign
they say a picture is worth a thousand words...welll i got about ten thousand for this one:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/433F1150013-med.jpg
I got one........DAMM!

77charger
02-16-2004, 08:28 PM
In my own boat well it is x rated:D
As for the race boat probably coming very close to getting pitched tried to show my friend who i was racing (at ming on the drags) who is king.Well i tried to hard to beat a slower boat and picked it up to high early came down and chined i fell out of my seat he won the race and i heard it all night still hear it today

Scream
02-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Not really in a boat, but towing a boat...Brand new going to Lake Powell for the first time with my family. Truck with new camper towing new boat through Las Vegas at about 65MPH. All of the sudden the Nut comes off the ball and the ball dislocates from the Ball Mount. Thank God for safety chains. Sparks were flying everywhere and all those asshole taxi drivers that zoom around like you're on thier freeway all of the sudden had plenty of time to give me as much room as I wanted.
Talk about brown streaks...

Laveyman
02-17-2004, 06:47 AM
I was running in the Spring Heatwave Poker Run at Havasu two summers ago when this happened.
I was buzzing along at close to 70 in the wakes of all the big boys in the first wave of boats and those in the second wave that were ahead of me. I had a friend of a friend in my boat as they had too many in their boat. Suddenly we hit a bunch of waves coming from all different directions, including a huge set of waves from the port side. my boat went airborne and landed off balance to the left, bounced back airborne, and landed on the right side a little bit. I was able to back out of the throttle as the boat then went back to the left side. This time we were so far on the left side of the boat that the other guy's elbow hit the water, and it was only resting on top of the fairing area. I was in the driver's seat, looking down at the water on the left! :eek: It finally settled down and off we went to Card Stop #1. The boats behind us thought for sure we were gonna roll it!
I spent the rest of the afternoon pulling my board shorts outta my ass! PUCKER FACTOR 10!!!

Fiat48
02-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Beating the boat to the finish line:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/374cra3-med.JPG

welk2party
02-17-2004, 09:59 AM
It was at night with 8 people doing a cocktail cruise to Havasu Landing. I was going around 15 mph. I see the fairy coming and give him a wide berth. The swell that thing puts out with no white cap had me unprepared. As I approached the swell and saw how big it was...it was too late. I got the boat airborne and came down flat hard. Drinks landed everywhere. My wife bruised her tailbone, another couple both chipped their teeth, and everyone was not happy. Hard lesson.

BBB
02-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Ok I'll chime in with the most recent of many "wildest moments in a boat". This one occurred a couple of years back at one of the Tower Park Runs on the Delta here in NorCal. I had decided to check out the event for a day and had talked one of my buddies to bring his boat along as well. This took a lot of convincing because he considers the Delta as an accident just waiting to happen... We launch our boats and head out to a long slough where we find the group doing speed runs. We idle out to where the other boats are hanging out to watch, kill the motors and take in the festivities. We both notice a white jet boat flying down the slough towards us but he isn't backing off as he is coming straight at us! Still a hundred yards off I'm begining to wonder if he sees our two boats, I see him clearly and he's smiling so I figure he'll stop or turn but instead he keeps charging right at us. By this time we both hit the ignitions to get the heck out of the way, unfortunately I couldn't turn to the right because my buddies boat is blocking me and there are other boats dead ahead so I'm a sitting duck and am figuring that I'm a dead man. At the very last moment the driver of the white jet nails the gas and hooks a right turn and I kid you not his boat missed mine by no more than 6 inches at full throttle! If my arm were hanging over the side of my boat he would have taken it clean off! Interestingly enough the driver of the white jet visits this site but I won't name names . My buddy was pissed and was ready to kick some butt until I calmed him down. I caught up with the other driver at the end of the day and we had a good chuckle over it.

Havasu Cig
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I was in a center consol fishing boat with some buddies, and we were fishing off of San Clemente. We had been drinking some beers and did not notice that the boat was filling with water until it was up almost to our knees.
We were dead in the water about three miles offshore, and we were sinking. We called for help and the harbor patrol, luckily arrived in time and pumped us out an got us back to O'Side Harbor. It seemed like hours between the call for help and when they arrived.
We were making contigency plans for the swim to shore, but thank God it did not come down to that. Ended up being a dump hose for the bait tank that had come off, and was filling the bilge.
A close second was my O/B powered cat crabbing sideways at close to 100 mph, but that was over rather quickly.:cool:

diggler
02-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BBB
Ok I'll chime in with the most recent of many "wildest moments in a boat". This one occurred a couple of years back at one of the Tower Park Runs on the Delta here in NorCal. I had decided to check out the event for a day and had talked one of my buddies to bring his boat along as well. This took a lot of convincing because he considers the Delta as an accident just waiting to happen... We launch our boats and head out to a long slough where we find the group doing speed runs. We idle out to where the other boats are hanging out to watch, kill the motors and take in the festivities. We both notice a white jet boat flying down the slough towards us but he isn't backing off as he is coming straight at us! Still a hundred yards off I'm begining to wonder if he sees our two boats, I see him clearly and he's smiling so I figure he'll stop or turn but instead he keeps charging right at us. By this time we both hit the ignitions to get the heck out of the way, unfortunately I couldn't turn to the right because my buddies boat is blocking me and there are other boats dead ahead so I'm a sitting duck and am figuring that I'm a dead man. At the very last moment the driver of the white jet nails the gas and hooks a right turn and I kid you not his boat missed mine by no more than 6 inches at full throttle! If my arm were hanging over the side of my boat he would have taken it clean off! Interestingly enough the driver of the white jet visits this site but I won't name names . My buddy was pissed and was ready to kick some butt until I calmed him down. I caught up with the other driver at the end of the day and we had a good chuckle over it.
Hey BBB, that was me and I apologize profusely for the near miss. I had that rudder that had partially snapped off and made the boat a bitch to turn because of how it was hanging down. I didn't realize it until I had almost slammed into your boat. I had turned as hard as I could and floored it to force the turn to happen and thank god I missed you folks. I really am sorry about that, hopefully your buddy understands I definitely didn't intend to hit you. :frown:

GlastronGuy
02-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by diggler
Hey BBB, that was me and I apologize profusely for the near miss. I had that rudder that had partially snapped off and made the boat a bitch to turn because of how it was hanging down. I didn't realize it until I had almost slammed into your boat. I had turned as hard as I could and floored it to force the turn to happen and thank god I missed you folks. I really am sorry about that, hopefully your buddy understands I definitely didn't intend to hit you. :frown:
I can confirm his rudder was hanging off. I was there when he pulled the boat from the water.

Kachina26
02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Ok......so maybe there were some "adult beverages" involved, but hey, I was just a passenger.....right? It was the night of the Tyson/McNeally towel throwing "fight". We watched it down at the Palms in Havasu (I missed the whole fight when I took a bite out of my burger, but that's another story). We were heading back up to Windsor, there was a very light rain and it was pitch black out. We were in an 18' Ranger bass boat with a big wacker motor, I had a towel over my face to keep from being pelted with the rain. All the sudden I hear someone scream "OH SH(T", I yanked the towel off my face in time to see some boneheads who had been floating in a pontoon boat with no lights on. They flipped on all their lights and we turned hard, missing them by only a few feet. That's about as close to death as I want to come anytime soon.

FlatUgly
02-17-2004, 09:14 PM
MY wildest moment was my first ride, IM ten years old siting in the passenger seat of my uncles lavey craft with a hilborn inject keith black big block. Told me we'd go slow I've since been notified that i have been 130 plus in a boat. Never been so scared in my life , but it's also what made me have to have one now !!

BBB
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey BBB, that was me and I apologize profusely for the near miss. I had that rudder that had partially snapped off and made the boat a bitch to turn because of how it was hanging down. I didn't realize it until I had almost slammed into your boat. I had turned as hard as I could and floored it to force the turn to happen and thank god I missed you folks. I really am sorry about that, hopefully your buddy understands I definitely didn't intend to hit you.
Diggler, no apology needed. It was just another memory to add to my Delta adventures. Besides we were able to completely wipe out my friends recollection of the morning's event at the Lost Isle later that day;)

79TahitiCBB
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
So far it was the time that we all decided to let brent drive down at the narrows and he almost ran into a family swimming across the damn lake.
But I am going to have to say that it is going to be similar to RD's story when you get your 100+mph death trap finished. And i don't care what you told Brent I got my life jacket and want first ride after you get that thing tuned.
Gonna be tearin apart my boat in your yard in 2 weeks Mike

78Eliminator
02-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Beating the boat to the finish line:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/374cra3-med.JPG
HOLY CRAP!!!!! Is that you!!??

Her454
02-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by diggler
Uh Dig, your gonna fix that before the next TP right? ;)

79TahitiCBB
02-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
who's 100+mph ride??
Mine?
RD <--- doesn't have one on the project list??
Nah his, I don't know all the info but it's a Rayson craft with a pretty beefy 468 and 12% gears I'm sure he'll chime in and start listin parts.

mbrown2
02-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Education of jet ski's....- 10 years old and 1978 on the Parker Strip riding our Kawi 440 Stand-up...looking both ways heading north around Buckskin, decide I want to go back to Echo, so I start turning left after making the turn at Buckskin, don't see a boat coming south, and look over my shoulder for boat's coming north, and start to make the left u turn....While turning the ski loses power.....As I am trying to get it started, a Jet boat coming south passes me on my right at about 2" away...scared the shit out of me...not sure if I did not see him when I made the turn, or was just coming pretty quick going south, and made up the ground quick....taught me to be even more aware on a PWC...
Monsoon - late July 1991 overcast on Havasu in the 20' Hi-Tech...just entered the channel from the north and saw the wind kicking up the dust in the foothills at the base of the mountain in back of town....let my drunk friends know we are turning around now since a Monsoon is coming and we need to get the truck at the nautical and get it over to the Launchramp to get the boat out....Got back outside the bouys and nailed it (boat had a top speed of 62) so we were going about 55 until we hit side of the island near sit six....The monsoon was now there within 10 minutes of first seeing signs....We are now in 3' to 4' White Cap Chop and my buddies are like "Yeah, this is fun"...I tell them hold on, this shit will break this little boat....keep running her hard taking water over the bow as we nose a couple of swells and finally make it to the nautical...pull about 10' away from shore...don't slow down for the bouys (which were much closer at that time)....and my buddy dives in...he goes and gets the truck...I head back out hard and get into the marina, and then go look for an empty slip in the docks there (found one of long term rentals slips open) until my buddy can get the truck in...as you can imagine the marina is a mad house....and the wind and chop were tossing boats onto trailers or into the back of trucks....finally we get the boat on and out, went back to the nautical and watched the white caps from the tiki terrace......One of the scarrier days on havasu but one of the most memorable watching a monsoon with a bucket from the Tiki Terrace....and within 4 hours it is beautiful again....dropped the boat back in and the rest of the weekend was great.

Seadog
02-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Last 4th, my brother decided that he wanted to take his friends and family to the major fireworks at Duck Creek on Grand Lake. He had a old Newman with a contrary 90 hp OMC. We had all the kids on my pontoon and he left before I got back from getting them fed supper. We figure no problem catching up to them, but never saw them on the five mile trip. We got there and couldn't find them. Finally got them on the cell phone and they had gotten lost in the islands and were having engine problems.
We headed back to find them just as the fireworks started. We couldn't find them in the dark and finally decided that they must be nearer to the Duck Creek area. We got back to the inlet at the same time all of the boats were leaving. We are talking hundreds of boats, some upwards of 50', booking home. 6'+ swells, trying to find a broke down 17' boat in the dark as we fight the traffic coming at us. Finally we found them just as they were being pounded for the shore. We couldn't get close enough to throw a line and things looked a little scary. finally, he got the engine going again and we told him to go as far as he could and get out of the traffic.
His wife was hanging over the side losing everything(They got divorced the next month). The kids were all excited. About a mile or two away, my youngest nephew had to go potty. The waves were only 4-6' by then. We got the porti-potti out and set it in the middle and my wife held him steady while he pooped. I won't talk about how much fun it was to get his butt wiped. To keep the engine going, my brother was only doing around 5 mph and it took almost two hours to get back. Luckily, I led the way with his sense of direction.
About an hour before we got back, I hit a good cell zone and called my sister(her and my four nephews were visiting from kentucky) She was pissed. The boys had their minivan and she had wanted to leave at midnite. It was 1:00 am and she had nothing packed. We got everyone back to the dock and then made sure that the boys found the highway back to my parents. Everyone was wiped.

randy77zt
02-23-2004, 09:34 PM
last summer on the 4th of july i decide to take the girl friend out on the delta the catch hilton's fireworks show.put the boat in about 5:30 pm and head west to lost island .stopped and got a couple of mai-tais.then headed on out.my boat is a 18' mirage tunnel 4 seater with a 2.5 merc.some of you guys have seen it out before.any way we get through the show and everybody leaves at the same time.wrong answer!some big boat is behind mine and my boat is surfing on its wake.no control and looking straight into the water.any way we take a wave over the bow and i got it moving to the other side of the channel.i found a little cove with a dock the was calm and tied up.i decided to wait for the traffic to clear.about midnite we pulled out and headed back to stockton.i was just happy to make it back.the summer before at cfw i was making a radar run at 8am.water was glass.floored the throttle and trimmed up.boat is stuck to the water.kept it floored and trimmed up again.this time the boat takes off and goes airborn.at 85mph.i let off the throttle and it still climbed some more.when you get out of the throttle and you are still climbing thats about the time you know your luck might be running out.i held the steering wheel firmly dead straight and rode it out.it just glided to a landing.time for a shorts change.

bigkatboat
02-23-2004, 10:32 PM
If the boat was black, and the place was Ming... I could tell you what it felt like. But I thought at the time, " I can drive out of this", it's just up on one chine, OH shiiiiiiii....OOOF....BOOOF...SNAP...CRACKLE...POP !