PDA

View Full Version : Partial stringers

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I looked at a boat recently that only has stringers to slightly ahead of the front motor mount. (79? Sleekcraft)
I have always read that the boats like this that rely on the floor to stiffen the hull forward of the motor distort so much that it is impossible to blueprint the hull and pointless to add any power until full stringers are added.
Does anyone here have any experiance with this situation?
Tim

Dr. Eagle
02-15-2004, 09:23 PM
I have heard similar stories. It is intuitive that the boat needs a robust load transfer and stiffner to keep the hull from deflecting up from the tortion caused by the drive, whatever kind of propulsion that may be.
I have read of people removing the floor and having stringers glassed into the structure and tied into the existing partial ones.
I don't really know for sure, but it seems like it would make sense to do something like that, especially if there are a lot of ponies going under the engine hatch.

v-drive
02-16-2004, 05:22 AM
I had a 73 sleekcraft jet that was like that, talk about buyer beware. I kept the engine and sold the boat to someone who wanted a project. I don't think he realized what he was getting into. :rolleyes: v-drive

Dribble
02-16-2004, 09:02 AM
My Southwind didn't have full stringers and the bottom was as straight as an arrow. It had a fairly mild 454 and ran pretty fast.

Mopar426
02-17-2004, 06:57 PM
My Sleek 23' was the same way. When the floor got spongy I gutted the hull and glassed in new stringers from the transom forward to 18'. This seemed to make the hull more solid plus I added more supports in the floor area.

spectras only
02-18-2004, 01:50 PM
A subfloor with crossed frames [ no rot] is ok with partial stringers as long as the boat has a solid layup at least 3/4" .Some boats have only 3/8 "and it's a no no with partial stringers.Full length stringered boats are better still.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies.
The boat that I'm looking at is a late 70's 21' sleek craft shallow V
Jet.
Tim

VD CRUISER
02-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Damn Tim, I thought your wife wanted a fast boat.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by VD CRUISER
Damn Tim, I thought your wife wanted a fast boat.
It's gotta be faster than a 23' daycruiser!
I'm just lookin'
:)
Tim

Hotcrusader76
02-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I once owned a 1976 Tahiti with absolutely was the biggest POS I've ever owned, quarter stringer with a BBF. The thing was unstable at high speeds and I swore I could feel the flex at times. Maybe it was just a bad hull...dunno...who cares...
my advice? Find something with full stringers 19foot or less.

spectras only
02-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Manic , I like the new slick crafts , but beware of the old ones ,especially 70's . The bottoms are pretty thin on some of those, same goes for the the eliminators of that era;)