PDA

View Full Version : tires... help!

hoolign
02-16-2004, 12:10 PM
I was going to put this in tow rigs but it's more active here
I need to get new tires for my truck,I drive in some harsh
places,deep mud,heavy pit run,plain old beat to shit roads.I blew the sidewall out of the bridgestone dueller m/t s comming home yesterday,and need to go tommorow to get some new tires
(these lasted for 30000 km) they cost me 1300 for a set, I,m going through tires 3-4 times a year so I figure I might as well buy cheaper ones that are still durable
those of you who drive in shitty places, what are you running and how do they hold up?

The Duke
02-16-2004, 12:12 PM
You need some heavy duty round ones:D

hoolign
02-16-2004, 12:15 PM
well that's a start.....idiot:D

JetBoatRich
02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
You still trying to keep the off-road tires I take it. :eek:
Seems like a lot of people have the BF All Terrain on their trucks. They are more reasonable and you get more miles out of them. You said you hit some tough terrain, not sure if it would be enough.

hoolign
02-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Rich
That's what a friend of mine is running,they are on the top of my list at the moment I'd rather spend 800 a few times than 1300 a few times
without hearing how other brands last for people who drive on this crap
it's hard to make a judgment call,every salesman tells you "oh yeah they are the best out there", then blammo 3000 km,s
and no warrenty cause of "abuse"

ROZ
02-16-2004, 12:34 PM
I use to get pretty decent wear from Yokahama all terrains I use to get from Costco... I bought them because they were cheap, but they wore pretty good...

Froggystyle
02-16-2004, 12:53 PM
The Yoko "Geolandars" are actually really good tires for the price.
I personally run BFG's for a variety of reasons. Number one is sidewall reliability. I have used them for almost every truck, in nearly every condition and never had a failure. I am running mud terrains right now and love them. Kindof spendy though.

hoolign
02-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Wes..
whats a set of them costing you and what are you getting for milage out of a set?

riverbound
02-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I run the procomp Xterrain tires in my truck and have been happy with them Their has been a couple of times that I hit things that should have puntured the sidewall and id not.

Wild Horses
02-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Don't know what anybody else thinks but I've run Big O tires on all of my 4x4s. Anytime I have a problem BAM! new tire no questions asked. (they all come with road hazard)
They even gave me two new tires that my tire chains tore up the sidewalls on, though I did have to work them over a little bit.:D
Clint

Jordy
02-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
I am running mud terrains right now and love them. Kindof spendy though.
I have run BFG mud terrains on my last 2 trucks with great sucess. The mileage isn't great, but if you rotate them often they'll see 35,000+. My last set was upwards of 30K on them, then I threw the Edge/Attitude box on the truck and smoked them in a hurry. With the new ones on there now I tend to be a little more gentle. :D
I also will only buy tires from Discount. Their certificates have saved me time and time again. From what I've seen they're pretty much a no questions asked kind of replacment deal too, that is, as long as you have measurable tread on the tires. From what I remember the tires were around $170 per tire for 285/75R16's.

hoolign
02-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Think I might try the costco route,gotta buy them tommorow!
then off to bloody work till break up
thanks for the input

al cole'holic
02-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Try getting a price from Tires Buy Mark on Topanga in the SFV...I have used him for many years for a lot of different tires and we still can't figure out how he does it with the prices...
(818) 992-0580 talk to Mark only :D

Starloans
02-16-2004, 03:00 PM
My fav is Discount Tire. I'm running Goodyear Wrangler ATS 305/70/16 which is about the same as 33s so the installer says. They seem to have a little wider footprint than the BFGs. I have heard and seen in print that the BFGs are the best. Here is Discount Tire (http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/home.jsp). Click on "already know your size" and you should get both the BFGs and Goodyears.

Mandelon
02-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I put BFGs on my truck due to the camper I carry and they are good tires, but I hear you on the price!!
If you have a Discount tire nearby they sell a tire called the "Pathfinder." They are BFG All Terrain copies and I used to get 60,000 miles out of them.

Jungle Boy
02-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Jeff,
Do know Pat's cousin, Scott Defrece. He's trying a set of new tires out that Don's Tire lined him out with. It's the first set that have been tried of this type. He's not quite running as harsh roads as you are, but last I heard he was happy with them. Give him a call.
:) Happy working till spring.

GASHGAZER
02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
I run Nitto 35" and have gotten about 25k miles on them and they still look brand new. I had the BFG's KO's, but running across the hot desert just melted that soft rubber right off at around 45k. The Nitto's have a nice tread and I have yet to be stranded. I am a Surveyor, so my terrain varies by day and job. If you're local to OC, go to Tucker Tire, in Laguna Niguel or I think there is one in Covina too, nobody beats the price or service...

hoolign
02-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey Dave
yeah I know scotty I'll see if I can find his number,P.m me if you have it handy
happy working till spring:rolleyes:
frickin mud up to my ass in a week or two ,then drink beer for a month,then sweat my ass off,
then up to ass in mud..then freeze:rolleyes:
one big viscious cycle
workin up that goddamn willow creek road in hinton to boot:D
hows the rig runnin for ya now,I remember you were a tad stressed for a bit:D

25 Eagle
02-16-2004, 03:27 PM
I run the KO's and with 30K look like new.

Sleek-Jet
02-16-2004, 03:32 PM
All the off-roaders around here run BFG's because of the stronger side-walls. I imagine we run in the same stuff you do Hooligan, mud with lots of rocks and debris in it, perfect to snag a spinning side-wall.
The Moab bunch likes 'em for the softer rubber compound, although you do give up some milage over the lifetime of the tire.

Daytona19
02-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I just bought new rims and tires for my Toyota Tundra for 990.00 shipped to my door. This place seams fair and will match or beat prices. I talked to Chuck. http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wpw_home.asp

hoolign
02-16-2004, 04:00 PM
we have 4wheel parts up here in Canada,and I won't deal with them,
they ****ed me on some shocks that broke in a month,gave their favorite line"abuse" ...it was from driving on shitty gravel roads!
but that is a good deal for someone else