PDA

View Full Version : World's Fastest Boat

KineticoH20
03-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I was shocked to find the worlds fastest boat was an Australian made jet boat,Spirit of Australia, and was on Oct 8th 1978. The boat ran 317.596 MPH.
You would think that with all the technology in the last 30 years someone would have beat it. Imagine something moving across Havasu at 300+.

buzzaro
03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Ken Warby is guy's name, I think he even built the boat himself.

Havasu Hangin'
03-28-2006, 10:57 AM
He used to post on some of the boards, too.

Kilrtoy
03-28-2006, 11:03 AM
He used to post on some of the boards, too.
Until OLE HH ran him off, for speaking on boating safety while at speed

RiverToysJas
03-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Last I heard Warby was building a boat to break his old record.
I think the propeller driven record is:
220.493 - 13Mar04 - MISS BUDWEISER, Dave Villwock @ Lake Oroville Ca.
I like the propeller driven records and on land I like the wheel driven records.
RTJas :D

572Daytona
03-28-2006, 11:26 AM
I seem to remember someone calling his boat a potato chip and we never heard from him again :frown:

RiverToysJas
03-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Here's some footage of the new boat in testing..... (http://www.kenwarby.com/video/AussieSpiritTareeJune05.wmv) This boat has been done since 2004, but it seems they are still milking the "donations" towards the record run.

UBFJ #454
03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Prop Record for 1/4 mile was set by Dwayne Patton in TFH 'Wildside', 11/04/01: 245.76 mph.

ratso
03-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Lee Taylor tried beating the record back in the early eighties I think. I believe he is still at the bottom of Lake Tahoe.

unleashed
03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Lee Taylor tried beating the record back in the early eighties I think. I believe he is still at the bottom of Lake Tahoe.
I believe it was Nessie that ended his record run!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Tom Brown
03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Imagine something moving across Havasu at 300+.
With no life jacket or hands on the wheel... and some clowns in the back jacking around and taking video. :cool:

KROOZIN
03-28-2006, 04:28 PM
With no life jacket or hands on the wheel... and some clowns in the back jacking around and taking video. :cool:
sounds familiar :cry: :cool:
(wanna ride?) :) :)

RiverOtter
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Everyone that has tried to break his record has died. Warby says he will try to break his own record. Hell, if I were him I'd let that record stand :220v:

Sherpa
03-28-2006, 05:23 PM
is that a guy they found on the lake bottom using sidescan, then video..
his widow said to just leave him down there since it's basically his grave..?
--Sherpa

Tom Slick
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
is that a guy they found on the lake bottom using sidescan, then video..
his widow said to just leave him down there since it's basically his grave..?
--Sherpa
No, your thinking of Donald Campbell and Blue Bird. He crashed while trying to set the water speed record in 1967 on Coniston Waters in England. It was estimated that he was over 300mph when he hit a rouge wave left over from his first run and it sent him airborne. He or Blue Bird weren't found until 2001 (like you said) some divers found the wreck with sidescan. They then recovered the wreck and also found Donalds body around the same time. They also recovered Donalds body and are currently in the process of restoring the boat to it's original form.

LakeTrash
03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Met Ken Warby at the Rumble on the River in Ohio several years ago. This is one nice guy. He built the new boat for a record attempt if it looked like someone else had a chance. Mainly that idiot in Seattle that has proven to be better at hype than actually making it happen. Ken is in Florida making some shake down runs this week. He says the new boat handles much better than the original and 400+ is within reach - if an attempt happens. I will be on a plane to Austrailia if he decides to do it.
His favorite statement is that if they have a reunion of all men that have made a record attempt - he would be drinking alone.
We took a trip to San Fran to meet with Howard Arneson about a possible prop record attempt. Does not look like it will happen but having these two legends in one spot was incredible.
http://airmasterstab.com/KenHoward.jpg
LT

SnakeWrench
03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
My dad and Lee Taylor were best friends. Dad painted the boat that Lee crashed. My dad was there standing next to Lee's wife and saw the whole thing.

KROOZIN
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
how 'bout tree fitty.....
http://foxxaero.homestead.com/nslink3.html

SmokinLowriderSS
03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
But that's an airplane that can't quite fly. No count comparing to a boat that doesn't have lifting wings.

KROOZIN
03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
ok, how bout these chumps....??!?! :cool:
http://www.americanchallengewsr.com/media/American_Challenge.wmv

ratso
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
My dad and Lee Taylor were best friends. Dad painted the boat that Lee crashed. My dad was there standing next to Lee's wife and saw the whole thing.
Hey SnakeWrench... I remember the boat, it was awesome looking. I was in Dallas at OMC school when that happened... we just happened to have some brochures on some life jackets he was promoting... sad deal, saw the crash on TV...

DUNDUN
03-28-2006, 07:36 PM
didnt plum crazy make a top fuel pass of 257 mph a year or two ago or something?

MUDXPRT
03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
My dad had the world's record for TBF hydro's in the late 60's boat name Citation, Rene' Andre' - flipped in 1966 at Oroville,CA his body went thru the timing lights bouncing across the water @ 167 mph and lived (no capsule or chute in those days) after that Don Prudohme drove the next boat built and flipped it on his 1st run. (He went back to asphalt)

ECeptor
03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Ken's homepage. Great read.
http://www.kenwarby.com/introduction.htm

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Here's some footage of the new boat in testing..... (http://www.kenwarby.com/video/AussieSpiritTareeJune05.wmv) This boat has been done since 2004, but it seems they are still milking the "donations" towards the record run.
it looks like he might have some handling issues he needs to work out there. i am guessin he was only doin like 150 mph? maybe that will sort itself out at 300+ mph but me thinks it more than likely will get worse

HBjet
03-28-2006, 11:09 PM
American Challenge....
Should be interesting, just wonder where they will find a body of water that will be calm enough, and large enough, in order to run 400mph and then slow down without crashing....? I don't know of any place.... Could you imagine all of the spotters needed to check the course for perfect water conditions, and have them all give the go!
Should be interesting, thanks for the video Kroozin
HBjet

Tom Brown
03-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Are you sure? I was pretty sure it was Maximus' jet boat. :idea:
He only get's one start per starter motor but when he can get that thing running, it flies! :D

Goodtime$
03-29-2006, 03:22 PM
was down in Point Loma the other night, at the spot- Pizza Nova on the docks. Some old dood rockin trunks and a nasa jacket cruised by to talk story.
Told him the fastest ive been in a boat is 110mph, he went on to tell me that he is designing a boat to go after the speed record. A hydro-foil boat with twin his quotes"Twin Turbo Vette Motors from GM and some arnesons, i think ill have to throttle back from 300mph." and a F14 capsule canopy cut off an airplane.
Neadless to say i dropped my cell # and when he calls me, ill post pictures

Liberator TJ1984
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I watched the Discovery Channel-TV Documentary on him , truely amazing watching the actual test runs , Sadly on his backup 300mph+ run he went airborne.(also captured on tape )....and we know the rest of the story....all they found that evening was a good luck stuffed bear ? he had with him (his Dad recovered it)...Very worth while to watch if you ever get a chance.....

spectras only
03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
I think the obstacle on water to better Ken's record is much greater than record attempts on land . The land record will stay with the brits ,since Breedlove can't even get close to it yet . An old engineer friend of ours from England worked with Campbell on his boat ,and he told me the true reason for the crash. The media reported some ripple in the water from his own wake .
My friend told me that the boat was designed to run with a full tank , and Campbell decided to run half full to get the new record .The rest is history. I saw the Taylor crash of Tahoe and the water looked smooth . One of the sponsons hooked and caused the crash. The media report said there was a piece of branch or something that ripped the sponsons ? Eddy Hill was the first to achieve 229 mph and soon after he went back to asphalt saying it was safer :) . He only returned briefly to boats . I think Ken should just keep his old record and not to worry anybody breaking his anytime soon :D .

Tom Brown
03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
sounds familiar :cry: :cool:
(wanna ride?) :) :)
You know it. :D
..... just like all the other haters out there. :D

spectras only
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm not a hater :p , I would just like to see the boat in person while on vacation in cali .

ECeptor
03-29-2006, 04:30 PM
I watched the Discovery Channel-TV Documentary on him , truely amazing watching the actual test runs , Sadly on his backup 300mph+ run he went airborne.(also captured on tape )....and we know the rest of the story....all they found that evening was a good luck stuffed bear ? he had with him (his Dad recovered it)...Very worth while to watch if you ever get a chance.....
Another show I saw was about a couple guys who spent years searching for that boat (Blue Bird or something like that...) and they actually found it! They raised it up from the bottom and brought it ashore. His family was present to watch them bring it up the ramp. Kinda erie to watch.
I think the biggest obsticle to breaking the record is 1) finding someone crazy enough to drive the rig and 2) the liability of who (lake governing body who approves the run, and professional sanctioning body, offical timers, sponsors, etc) get's sued if something happens and the driver dies.
So, it won't be broken until there is someone rich enough and nutty enough to risk their life and $$$ to go for it. I'm sure technically it's not that huge of a challege...just need a monster engine in a light, stable ground effects hull.

Craig
03-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Nitro Chicken driven by Doug Verstuyft ran 4.768 @ 254.4 mph at the World Finals this past November

ColeTR2
03-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Imagine something moving across Havasu at 300+.
I think A guy was killed on Lake Havasu trying to set the boat speed record maybe in the 70's ????

ratso
03-29-2006, 07:04 PM
I think A guy was killed on Lake Havasu trying to set the boat speed record maybe in the 70's ????
I was reading up on some of this. Lee Taylor crashed on Havasu in 64, but lived through that one.