PDA

View Full Version : 'damn' merc shift cable switch

couverley
08-18-2002, 08:31 AM
I cannot get the merc switch correctly adjusted so that when I shift in/out of foward, I don't get any gear grind... I have adjused the linkage in / out so many times, I might as well sit in the engine compartment and push the damn switch everytime I shift!!!!!!!! I follow the instructions??? Has anyone moved the switch? Is there anything else out there that I can use???
Ken
[ August 24, 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: couverley ]

Bondo
09-07-2002, 03:26 AM
Change your lower shift cable......?

Dennis Moore
09-08-2002, 05:53 PM
I don't know how experienced you are with a Mercruiser Alpha drive but you must shift them quickly (don't shift slowly). They all make a ratcheting noise and then clunk into gear!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

TCHB
09-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Yes I have adjusted my linkage and cables. It is very touchy. My advice to you is:
1. Adjust the linkage a little at a time.
2. Have someone turning the prop by hand.
3. When the prob engages and you are idle forward on the throttle stop and check the reverse.
I bought a service manuel an it helped. Yes it is a pain to deal with. If you need help let me know.

Ronnie
09-11-2002, 02:19 PM
I just had my drive rebuilt.. When I reinstalled it I started the boat and the drive was in reverse. went to go into forward and it went into netural. Any help?
Thanks Ronnie

Dennis Moore
09-11-2002, 06:58 PM
The lower unit (gear case) was not installed correctly on the upper (drive shaft housing). They both need to be in forward gear when installing the gear case.
If that doesn't work then the shift crank in the gear case was installed incorrectly. It needs to be rotated 180 degrees.
Good Luck!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Ronnie
09-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Dennis
Thanks for your help. I found that the lower cable is broke. I have never installed that cable. Any tricke on installing them. Again thanks for the help.
Ronnie