PDA

View Full Version : Atkins 1st week down

spectratoad
02-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Well the first 8 days have gone by on the induction phase. Have lots of energy not craving much. It get a little tuff at night when I want to munch some chips or something but I get past that pretty easy.
I haven't lost a bunch of weight, maybe 5 or 6 LBS but I have lost 2 inches off the ab area. Lots of energy and feel pretty good. The cooking is actually alot of fun and the wife is enjoying me cooking too. (Yes I showed her the Steak & BJ thread)
How are others on the diet doing?

Screaming Pete
02-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Way to Go SPLD, Keep up the Great work, If you have to munch on something some pork rinds, no carbs and all protine, Or your wife ear, with all that extra energy:D

OutCole'd
02-18-2004, 08:29 AM
5 lbs. here, going ok. Miss the sweets now and then.

stoker
02-18-2004, 08:37 AM
I have been on it for a couple of months. I didn't cheat during the induction stage (3 weeks). Now I just watch my carb intake. I don't each much bread, no pasta and very little sugar. I lost 20lbs. and feel great! I find that I have much more energy at night were as before I would be wiped out by 9:00 p.m.

MsDrmr
02-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Been on it a month now, no cheating. Still in the induction phase as I have lots of weight to loose. I have lost 22lbs and more importantly, I have lost almost 7". It gets easier to not eat the crap your used to eating, and the rewards are great. Eat pork rinds for something to snack on in the eve hours. The mission brand has no carbs and you can find them at Wal Mart (the only place I have found them). Keep up the great work,,and keep us posted

spectratoad
02-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
5 lbs. here, going ok. Miss the sweets now and then.
The night time is when the sweets craving sets in. I sometimes have a glass of chocolate soy milk.
The pork rinds do help out during the day though.

Scream
02-18-2004, 09:45 AM
For sweets, there are low net carb ice creams available, low net carb chocolates, and sugar free jello with sugar free whipped cream...
Every thing in moderation. Oh, and Caffiene Free diet Coke and Rum as a tati OH YEA!

MsDrmr
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Scream
For sweets, there are low net carb ice creams available, low net carb chocolates, and sugar free jello with sugar free whipped cream...
Every thing in moderation. Oh, and Caffiene Free diet Coke and Rum as a tati OH YEA!
it is the sugar you need to stay away from, however sugar free things still have tons of carbs you have to be careful. Also, atkins has great bars starting with 2g up to 4 grams, wonderful flavors and filling as well, (the peanut butter cups are to die for at only 2g per)

Waldo
02-18-2004, 09:53 AM
RD, based on the total carbs, you can drink 2 or 3 Michelob's for every one Coors Light!!! Enjoy. However, the Michelob's are more $$$ :frown:
However - caloric intake is very important to watch.

Waldo
02-18-2004, 10:05 AM
So then you're looking at about 1 and 1/2 Lites to every CL.
However.....Any beer is what as known as "empty calories" and it is the worst for you as it pertains to carbs/sugar. The carbs from beer turn right into sugar and it digests it very fast>>>room for more :D !

AZKC
02-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well I'm pretty brand loyal so it looks like Miller Lite it is! LOL :D
RD
Come to the dark side RD
http://www.anheuser-busch.com/images/logo_02.jpg
:D

rivercrazy
02-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Just get serious and go on the Vodka diet....:D

Rivertoys
02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
There was a cartoon in the paper Sunday about the Atkins diet. One guy tell another he and his wife are on the diet. He says, for six months they ate nothing but steaks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The other guy asks how much they lost.....and dude replies, "about half our life savings!" :p
RTJas http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/otn/happy/viking.gif

AZKC
02-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
A guy I used to know has the A with the Eagle coming through it tatoo'd on his back. :D Some people take this beer thing to a whole new level.. :D
(Wanna guess where I have "Coors" tatoo'd?)
RD
Ahh, That would be a no

totenhosen
02-18-2004, 01:28 PM
I can say that you are most likely already failing the diet if you are drinking beers even low carb beers the first week.

AZKC
02-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I'll drink to that ;)

spectratoad
02-18-2004, 02:14 PM
I have been having Gin & Tonic. :wink: The sugar free bars are pretty good. I have had those to help with the sweet tooth.

Floatin'
02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mrsdrmr
it is the sugar you need to stay away from, however sugar free things still have tons of carbs you have to be careful. Also, atkins has great bars starting with 2g up to 4 grams, wonderful flavors and filling as well, (the peanut butter cups are to die for at only 2g per)
Can anyone explain the deal with "NET CARBS" ? I bought some Low Carb Bars today that said "Net Carbs 2g" But if you read the nutrional information it says "25g Carbs" So how can 25g of carbs become 2g of carbs ? And can I eat the Low Carb bars and still be on the Atkins program or is that cheating?

mirvin
02-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Hey Rd, I drank Coors light the whole time while on Atkins. You really just need to be carefull during induction since you're shooting for zero to 20 grams of carbs (per day).
I think the Mich Ultra is actually an 11 oz bottle?? So if you drink 12 of em it's really only 11, right???
Mirvin:)

mirvin
02-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey Floatin', here's how the net carb thing works.
SOme carbs don't impact your body the same. To put it simply, they don't turn to fat. I think they use different kinds of sugar ( alcohol sugar??) and a sugar substitute called Maltodextrine. They just don't act the same way that starchy carbs do.
Also, there's a thing with fiber. If you have something with 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber it equals 5 Grams of carbs.
Mirvin

totenhosen
02-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Floatin'
Can anyone explain the deal with "NET CARBS" ? I bought some Low Carb Bars today that said "Net Carbs 2g" But if you read the nutrional information it says "25g Carbs" So how can 25g of carbs become 2g of carbs ? And can I eat the Low Carb bars and still be on the Atkins program or is that cheating?
It's called fancy/deceptive marketing.

Charley
02-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Can anyone else confirm that the Net Carbs are really the carbs to count on Atkins?? I'd hate to be eating 2 of those candy bars a day and find out I have ingested 50g's!!:mad:

mirvin
02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Charley, yes, it's true. I've eaten at least one of those bars a day for the last 15 months. :D I as skeptical too but it is true.
Mirvin

MagicMtnDan
02-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Atkins tip of the day:
I hate Wal*Mart but they have one product we buy there. They have clear sodas that have no sugar, no caffeine, no carbs (zero). I'm not sure what it's called but almost every flavor (they have many) taste great. The bottles are about $0.50 each which is much cheaper than grocery store brands and you have to be careful because many of them have carbs!

HammerDown
02-19-2004, 05:28 PM
I here ya Dan, I've had them several times. Thats all my Brother drinks(for years)...clear Soda, pictures or fruit on the Label...very good. Hard to belive there's nothing in it:rolleyes:
I can't remember the name either:confused:

MagicMtnDan
02-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
I here ya Dan, I've had them several times. Thats all my Brother drinks(for years)...clear Soda, pictures or fruit on the Label...very good. Hard to belive there's nothing in it:rolleyes:
I can't remember the name either:confused:
That's the one - we buy about 40 bottles a time (only about $20) and keep 'em in the fridge ready-to-go.

SANGERBRU
02-19-2004, 09:09 PM
It is true, 12-18 buds a night equal weight gain. I listened to Froggy and Magic Dan 10 days ago and cut to 3 Mich Ultras a nite and lost 10 lbs. (only one meal a day). I only eat once a day, but am going to try it in the mid-day and have 6-8 beers aday, and see if I can continue to lose.
Thanks, Sangerbru

MagicMtnDan
02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
3 meals-a-day is what it takes (don't skip meals).
Atkins tip:
Costco. (Their fresh roasted chickens are delicious and cheap and you can probably eat a whole chicken by yourself. Their Black Forest Ham - a large package for 6-bucks - is delicious too and these things ain't got those dreaded carbs).

spectratoad
02-20-2004, 07:31 AM
The book says that the net carbs are basically carbs - fiber = net carbs. So in reading some labels @ Trader Joes last night I bought some of the think thin low carb bars. It say only 2 effective carbs. The label reads 23 Carbs but 21 non-effective carbs?:confused:
Where does the sugar play into the equation? Should certain types of sugar also subtract from the overall carb content?
Spectra - some cunfusion but still losing inches - toad:D

Rivertoys
02-20-2004, 10:24 AM
You guys need to check out:
http://www.waldenfarms.com/
Everything they have is NO CARBS - NO CALORIES - FAT FREE - SUGAR FREE. They have a lot too, like Chocolate Dip, Marshmallow Dip, and Bacon Dip!!!! Dressings too....
It's pretty good too, IMO.
RTJas :D

HammerDown
02-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Hey MMD, it's called Sam's Choice (American Clear).
Good stuff BUT like most all Diet Sodas it has Aspwrtame in it...Atkins Book suggest to stay away...maybe hidden Carbs?
Heck, I can only drink so much water.:rolleyes:

mirvin
02-20-2004, 02:05 PM
So how's things going Hammer? You feeling alright about everything?
Mirvin;)

HammerDown
02-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
So how's things going Hammer? You feeling alright about everything?
Mirvin;)
Yes, things are going quite well, thanks for asking. I got the test strips and although I'm not in the extreme purple...pounds are coming off.
Feel much better then when I PM'd you, sleeping better at night and feel better in the morning...come to find out I was kinda between the Induction phase and none Induction...that's what made me feel run down etc. (not good)!
For sure I'm under 20 grams of Carbs per day...more like 10 or less. I kinda miss the other things I'd use to eat for Breakfast, the easy stuff like frozen Waffles, oatmeal etc...there's only so much one can do with eggs.:rolleyes:
Haven't had Pasta or Pizza, Bread in 3 weeks...and that ain't easy being Italian...but no big deal. When I get to where I want to be I'll have them as a side dish instead of the main course.
I'll tell ya the food cravings really dropped since I've lowered the Carb intake.
My only vice are Diet Sodas (always had it)...I can only drink so much water, and I'm drinking a ton of it.
Just got a George Foreman Grill...beneficial with the new way of eating.
PS. I got the book...very good reading as it answere alot of questions.
And tonight on Dateline a topic about Atkins.
Thanks for all your advice...Ray

mirvin
02-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Good to hear Ray.
I just had a sorta bad experience that everyone should look out for. I had a check up last week and my cholesterol was high. 201 to be exact. I did some hard examination of my diet and realized I had never fully made the transition into long term maintenance. I was eating too much fat and not enough fiber (veggies and grains).
I started eating a low carb cereal and made sure I ate 5 servings of veggies and in 6 days of doing that I lost another 5 pounds! Those were the five lbs that I had been struggling with for months.
THe book talks about not getting stuck in the early phases of the diet so make sure you understand the transitions and that you complete the phases into long term maintenance.
I'll get my cholesterol checked again in 3 months and let ya know.
Mirvin;)

NorCal Gameshow
02-20-2004, 03:29 PM
I cut back on carbs no venti mocha's:( no fast food and dumped some lb's...i feel better, much better :D i'm not doin' atkin's, just kinda doin' a low carb, low fat dealio...does atkins promote eating fat, or just no or low carbs ?:confused:

mirvin
02-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Norcal, if you cut carbs out totally then you need to eat fat as your energy source. If you just cut back then you should be able to balance your fat and carbs and mantain your desired wight.
ATkins does steer you toward high fat only because that's whats necessary for the process of teaching your body to use fat as its primary energy source. The theory is that if your eating too many carbs then your body stores the fat. If you cut carbs totally then your body is forced to burn fat for energy.
You should be fine. There's nothing wrong with a low fat diet. Just make sure you eat enough feul for your body.
Mirvin;)

MagicMtnDan
02-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Hey MMD, it's called Sam's Choice (American Clear).
Good stuff BUT like most all Diet Sodas it has Aspwrtame in it...Atkins Book suggest to stay away...maybe hidden Carbs?
Heck, I can only drink so much water.:rolleyes:
Thanks HD! So does anyone know the dealio about Aspartame? Do we need to steer clear of it? :confused:
By the way, had a package of salami and provolone cheese (salami was listed at zero carbs and provolone was listed at less than 1 carb) that I bought at Costco. Cost me about $6 and it was good.
Can't we have iced tea with lemon and sweetener as a drink (besides H20)?

HotRod Sprint
02-20-2004, 08:16 PM
5 weeks, have lost 15 pounds. Still a ways to go. Did not stop drinking diet Coke, have 3 to 4 a day. In some people the Aspartame <--spelling can trick the body into thinking it is carbs and slow down the fat burning process.
RD, I know this is a tough one, but try to lay off drinking any beer for at least a week, maybe two. Stick to less than 20 (preferrably 10) carbs a day for that time. It will get your bodies metabolism into the fat burning mode. Once you get it going you can go back to the beers in moderation.
Rod

HammerDown
02-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Can't we have iced tea with lemon and sweetener as a drink (besides H20)?
I belive Iced Tea with "Splenda" sp? is fine...but for some reason in the Book, they also want you to stay away from caffeine. I belive because it may increase ones appetite.

MagicMtnDan
02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
How's everyone doing on the Atkins diet?
I'm on day four and down 7 pounds.
Eating lots of protein (steaks, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, eggs, bacon, cheese, and all the other good stuff). Not hungry and lots of energy.
How're you doin?

HotRod Sprint
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Eating lots of protein (steaks, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, eggs, bacon, cheese, and all the other good stuff). Not hungry and lots of energy.
How're you doin?
I've kinda hit a wall after coming down 15 pounds. Not giving up though. This has happened before.
Rod

HammerDown
02-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by HotRod Sprint
I've kinda hit a wall after coming down 15 pounds. Not giving up though. This has happened before.
Rod
Rod, theres a chapter in the Book about "Hitting a Wall". You maybe taking in some exrea carbs somewhere. This is why I got the Book...as it gives you something to fall back on for such questions/concerns.
It really is worth the 15 smakers.

HammerDown
02-24-2004, 06:15 AM
How're you doin?
MMD you may want to give the HotDogs and Lunch Meats(if your eating them)a second look. Alot of processed meats such as those have sugars and bread fillers in them...something I didn't relaize untill I got in the Atkins book.
They also recomend to stay away from Bacon/meats that are cured with Nitrates...but I haven't seen Packaged Bacon with out it. Unless they want to to purchase a shelf of Bacon from a butcher and have them slice it up.
I've just started to try different things (experiments) like making fresh jumbo Burgers with Green Onion (yellow/white onions have to mant carbs), stuffed with cheese and cooking them on my new George Foreman Grill...lay on some Mayo or the Cheese on top= Dam Tasty!
Aslo eating good low carb Veggies like (fresh) Broccoli and Asparagus with Cheddar Cheese and REAL Butter.
Remember, carbs in a Veg. are actually less when you minus the Fiber Grams they contain.;)

MagicMtnDan
02-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the tips on the lunch meat and bacon - I'm bringing my lunch to work (a novel concept for me) - mostly stuff from Costco - lots of chicken and they have it already cooked and cut up in packages, already cooked on the bone in packages and the already cooked whole chickens - they're about 5 bucks I think and they're damn good eating.
Drinking lots of H20 and no desire for snacks :cool:

TANG-INATOR
02-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Which one of his (Atkins)books would you guys recommend? He makes so many it seems like, with a slight change in titles. Are they all the same?

spectratoad
02-24-2004, 08:33 AM
The diet is still going well. Kinda slipped this weekend with some drinking and dinner but went back on yesterday. You can sure feel the difference if you eat & drink the way you did before.
Still have lots of energy and maintaining the inches lost.:D
I am starting to get creative now with some fo the meals. It is sort of fun cooking.

betty boop
02-24-2004, 08:43 AM
got a question for all of you - i am a firm believer in eating healthy - i believe we all need to maintain a good body weight to stay healthy - but this whole idea does not make sense to me at all .... i understand how it works on the body, but i don't understand how it can be HEALTHY.......hasn't studies shown that all this processed, high fat, high cholesterol food is so not good for you.....it may be low in carbs, but do you really know what they put in all this crap????? Like i've said before, i have battled the weight issue since my teens - been anorexic, etc., etc., but i feel the need to tell you how it works for me.....i have maintained my body weight for the last probably 8 years (having a baby 5 years ago) I don't work out regularly (i walk, bike, hike, etc) but as humans we need certain things to stay HEALTHY!!! Cancer is always a concern, i firmly believe that what we put into our bodies is so important - if you are not getting enought fiber, how are you disposing of all that shit sitting in your bowels?? And all that high fat, what is it doing to your heart and other organs?? I have an article on Asparatame that i will post later (gotta find it first) that is very interesting....I am IN NO WAY AT ALL KNOCKING ANYONE FOR BEING ON THIS DIET it just concerns me that companies are making so much money off the shit they are getting us to eat...... i must tell you all the motivation to my way of living......i met a woman years ago who was diagnosed with cancer (it was all over her intestines, etc.) she is one of hte most beautiful women i have ever met) doctors wanted to do chemo all that stuff and she chose not to...her cancer is still growing in her stomache (after living over 10 years than she was supposed to, she does have a large belly full of cancer, but she still gets up everyday at home, and lives her life - a bit harder than it used to be, but she is still alive) Point of story - instead of chemo she chose to reevaluate her life and eating habits - she juices every morning (to make sure everything gets cleaned out of the system) she eats nothing but "live" foods(salads, fruit, veggies, etc.) she "makes everything" , she eats nothing bought in a store unless it's organic fruits, etc., takes natural herbs, vitamins - yes her cancer is very obvious, but it goes to show that our bodies need certain things in order to repair and sustain life - her doctors are amazed that she is still alive and moving - she is an amazing gardener - this woman was "supposed" to be dead at least 10 years ago - she is what makes me think about the foods that go into my body, and makes me think about the years ahead.......i'm sorry if i have babbled along, but i feel this topic is soooo important....i am no expert, just someone trying to live a happy, healthy life in a world so full of fast foods and crap that clogs our bodies from living to it's fullest...:)

spectratoad
02-24-2004, 08:51 AM
I have so far been getting ideas from the cook book and website and most of the stuff I am cooking is all natural. I use alot of veggies, unprocessed meat (I BBQ alot lately) and just stay away from sugar. I take a daily vitamin and I actually have not felt this good in a long time.
I think that I am feeding my body all that it needs and it seems pretty healthy. My diet for the most part has not changed from my original I am just staying away from the fast food stuff and reading more nutrition labels.
So far it is working for me.;)

MsDrmr
02-24-2004, 08:58 AM
diet is going well for me, its been one month now and lost 22lbs. one thing to look at when you hit a wall is the "inches" not the scale. I have not lost a lb in over a week, checked what I was eating and drinking and it's not the food. I have lost over 10" total from my breast area to my hips, so that tells me it's still working. The book says look at inches not lbs to tell. I dont drink diet sodas anymore however if I wanted one I would get the caffine free....the deal with that is your body will burn up the caffine for energy before fat and it gives you the false high. they say caffine is the most addictive drug in the world.
Keep up the good work and visit atkinscenter.com for further information and a free journal of how you are doing day in and day out. I use it daily and have been able to track my inches and lbs and feelings and what I eat and drink during the day.

mirvin
02-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey SunBunny, The whole high fat thing isn't permanent. You eventually wind up with a deit that is pretty balanced and high in fiber. The beginnign phase of Atkins is the high fat phase. It works like this: You eat lottsa fat and no carbs and your body is then forced to use fat as it's primary energy source. Once your body is burning fat it's no longer storing it. Since your not storing fat you won't see the health issues related to fat build up. The only way to trick your body into doing this is to deprive it of carbs. THe only reason we store fat is because we're eating so much carbs that our body's have no choice but to store the fat.
If you're interested I would suggest you get the book. It's all there.
Mirvin

spectratoad
02-24-2004, 10:18 AM
I have lost over 10" total from my breast area to my hips, so that tells me it's still working.
Wow you must be getting pretty short.:D j/k
Cool work on the diet. Glad it is going well for ya. I have lost a few inches of the spare tire so I will press on and see what I can do.
Here is another question.
My kids today went back to their mom's for a few days until they come back home. You know the visitation thing.
Cooking what I eat is pretty easy when they are gone. What does everyone out there with kids do as far as mealtime? Do you cook different meals, do the kids eat what you eat etc... Some of the stuff my kids like but egg drop soup and tofu aren't kids favorite. Any ideas?

HammerDown
02-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by TANG-INATOR
Which one of his (Atkins)books would you guys recommend? He makes so many it seems like, with a slight change in titles. Are they all the same?
Dr. Atkins (NEW) Diet Revolution...revised and improved.
$13.95...Paper Back edition.

TANG-INATOR
02-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks Hammerdown
They say were supposed to live to be about 120. Not gonna happen with all the modern b.s....To the guy who said he bbq's alot...thats one of the worse things for you. But like everyone says on the face of the earth, "youre gonna die from something!".
Lost my mother not too long ago to cancer. During her sicktime I learned lots. Everything is bad for you, modern stuff anyway. Its a sad thing. If you wanna live long, you gotta live like the caveman did. If he didnt have it, then you dont need it. Some examples: suntan lotion; petroleum seeps thru your skin(causes cancer); toaster; releases tungsten into your bread(causes cancer actually contributes to it). I could go on and on. You figure I especially would have learned from experience, but no its easier to go to the corner and grab a burger. Mucho sad!:eek:

MsDrmr
02-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks Hammerdown
They say were supposed to live to be about 120. Not gonna happen with all the modern b.s....To the guy who said he bbq's alot...thats one of the worse things for you. But like everyone says on the face of the earth, "youre gonna die from something!".
Lost my mother not too long ago to cancer. During her sicktime I learned lots. Everything is bad for you, modern stuff anyway. Its a sad thing. If you wanna live long, you gotta live like the caveman did. If he didnt have it, then you dont need it. Some examples: suntan lotion; petroleum seeps thru your skin(causes cancer); toaster; releases tungsten into your bread(causes cancer actually contributes to it). I could go on and on. You figure I especially would have learned from experience, but no its easier to go to the corner and grab a burger. Mucho sad!:eek:
Help here,,,why is bbq the worst for you? it's meat just cooked over fire

TANG-INATOR
02-24-2004, 02:43 PM
I cant stay away from the bbq neither. It releases all kinds of junk from the coals.

TANG-INATOR
02-24-2004, 02:49 PM
I think ladies are perhaps more prone to cancers. They use all kinds of stuff that just seeps thru thier skin. My girlfriend is on the patch. Just think this stuff trickles into your body enough to keep you from getting pregnant EVERY DAY. Then you put baby oil on you straight outta the shower then you put on lotions then makeup then lipstick all petroleum bases. If anyone is interested email me I can give you names of books to read on the subject. Dont mean to depress everyone!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

mirvin
02-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Help here,,,why is bbq the worst for you? it's meat just cooked over fire
BBQ is also bad for you because all the little burnt bits of yummy goodness are pure carcenegenics :(
I still bbq though, with a cigaret and a beer :)
Mirvin

spectratoad
02-24-2004, 03:15 PM
uugh, fire good, fire cook wild meat to fill tummy, uugh need fire to BBQ. Ice good too, keep beer cold. UUgh.:D

bigq
02-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey Floatin', here's how the net carb thing works.
SOme carbs don't impact your body the same. To put it simply, they don't turn to fat. I think they use different kinds of sugar ( alcohol sugar??) and a sugar substitute called Maltodextrine. They just don't act the same way that starchy carbs do.
Also, there's a thing with fiber. If you have something with 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber it equals 5 Grams of carbs.
Mirvin
Most do use sugar alcohol. I would not eat many of these bars. i do have some,but I wouldn't use then as a meal. I usually have a few bites to ward off any sugar craving.
The whole purpose of lowering the carbs and pure sugar is the effect it has on the blood sugar level which raises the hormone insulin in the human body. High Insulin levels are to blame for major health factors like Obesity, High BP, High Cholestrol, sleeping disorder and diabetic problems not to mention plauque build up in the arteries.
Fiber is left of of the net carb because it does not effect the blood sugar level.

boatnam2
02-28-2004, 04:23 PM
ok i finaly got rolling on this thing.started thursday it was a little rough i drink a lot of soda at work so the straight water deal sucks.friday was better a slight caffine headache.today feeling pretty good started ketosis and lost a few pounds.hate pissing every half hour but i sure dont want to get no piss rocks.

MagicMtnDan
02-28-2004, 06:26 PM
After 9 days on Atkins I lost 12 pounds. It's going well but I'm the kind of person who doesn't have a problem eating the same stuff routinely. I'm into Ketosis (tried the pee-pee strips and they tell me so) and I'm hardly eating any of those nasty carbs at all.
How's everyone else doing?

HammerDown
02-28-2004, 09:19 PM
I seem to be staying in the Moderate zone, 40 mg/dl on the chart.
Weight drop seems a little slower then the 1'st 2 weeks...but still going down. Still around 10 carbs per day. Eating lots of fresh Fish Salmon, Flounder, Crab and Shrimp. Also Pork Loin, Eggs Bacon in the morning...and only Fresh Broccoli and Asparagus for a veg. With Cheese and Real Butter. Drinking lots of water and sometimes Diet Coke or the Clear American stuff. Also Philly style Cream Cheese on Celery stalks for fillers and I just found the Atkins Brand Candy Bars at WallMart...pretty good stuff!
Like I stated on another post the George Forman grill has been great with cooking the Fish etc. and I make my own Hamburgers stuffed with all kinds of Cheese and diced Green Onion...awsome!
I gave all my un-opened Pasta, Bread, Pancake mix etc. to Good Will...when I bought my new Fridge home I tossed all the Sugar filled items in the trash.
Tip...drink plenty of water and Asparagus really keeps the crapper happy:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
02-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Tip...drink plenty of water and Asparagus really keeps the crapper happy:rolleyes:
Amen brother! :cool:

Froggystyle
02-28-2004, 09:35 PM
They say were supposed to live to be about 120...
...If you wanna live long, you gotta live like the caveman did. If he didnt have it, then you dont need it...
Ummmm.... Modern science suggests that Cavemen for the most part died at very early ages, something like in their 40's.
From what I understand, petroleums or not, we are living significantly longer, and far more productive later lives than at any period in recorded or invesitgated history.
Not to mention... Cavemen Bar-B-qued!
Wait, did I just make your point for you??? Cavemen died early because of the Bar-B-Que, huh??? :D
Just kidding of course.
Congrats to everyone kicking ass on the diet right now. I roughly totalled up the fat loss by you guys, and you have basically lost a whole Backstreet Boy together! Good job!
Keep up the good work peeps. Tough to nay-say someone who is feeling better than they have in years, with more energy and losing inches by the day.
BTW... I bought exactly zero foods for Atkins, unless you count eggs, steak and chicken wings. Unless this is a conspiracy by the cattle industry, I think that all of the solid progress is proof enough that you don't need Atkins bars and shakes to make it work.
Again, great job folks!

HammerDown
02-28-2004, 09:54 PM
True, Atkins candy bars not needed...I saw them, I tryed them...I like them. Done deal.:wink: Only 2 grams ta boot.
Better than reaching for a real Snickers Bar.:rolleyes:

Froggystyle
02-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Sorry Ray, I wasn't singling you out in particular. I have a lot of problems with diets such as Jenny Craig, and Deal a Meal and all of that crap because I know they are in it for the money. Buy this food, for these points etc...
Atkins is intelligence based. You don't need to buy anything special. In fact, it is based on elimination more than anything else. I think that is why I latched on so strongly to the theory. Eat more steak, eggs cheese and bacon. Get rid of breads, pasta, and crap snacks.
When I started Atkins, I realized I was eating around 2,000+ carbs per day. 400 on Cokes alone. Add another bazillion with Oreos or Fig newtons for snacking, and all of the pasta and bread that Audrey and I lived on. When I threw away everything with lots of carbs in it, there was nothing left. With the exception of steaks and eggs, everything in our house was nearly pure empty carbs.
I changed that for the better. I am healthier, and feel alot more comfortable.

MagicMtnDan
02-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Ummmm.... Modern science suggests that Cavemen for the most part died at very early ages, something like in their 40's.
I'm sure they only made it to their 40's if they were very lucky! But keep in mind you're talking about the life expectancy of a human being 10-30,000 YEARS before us! Hell, life expectancy probably wasn't much more than that 1,000 years ago. :eek:
I'll take Atkins diet for 100 Alex :D

NorCal Gameshow
02-29-2004, 07:03 AM
I'm sure they only made it to their 40's if they were very lucky! But keep in mind you're talking about the life expectancy of a human being 10-30,000 YEARS before us! Hell, life expectancy probably wasn't much more than that 1,000 years ago. :eek:
I'll take Atkins diet for 100 Alex :D
:D :D true, not to mention comforts we have now, like not having a dinosaur trying to rip your head off..
or how 'bout clobbering your mate over the head dealio...:D :D

boatnam2
02-29-2004, 10:47 AM
so what was the difference between total carbs and net effects carbs?

Froggystyle
02-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by boatnam2
so what was the difference between total carbs and net effects carbs?
I don't really know. I stayed away from anything that had carb in the name at all. Low carbs isn't no carbs. And seriously, by week two I wasn't craving anything at all anymore.
I was ready for some tortillas though.
I think that the whole cheat food, and net effect carbs and all of that stuff is where the BS comes in. You need to stay way under 20 grams per day to be in full ketosis, and just "carb free" foods like steak, eggs and cheese will bring you nearly to that point. Add a couple of cheats and you are over the mark by quite a margin. Then, you are wasting your time.
Hardcore pays off. I hate brocolli and asparagus, but I imagine it would help with the plumbing. I personally didn't have any problems in that capacity.
Congrats again everyone.

boatnam2
03-01-2004, 07:19 AM
day 5 still in ketosis but stuck at 40mg/dl's like hammerdown.im not eating anything but fish chicken steak eggs and bacon and brocolli and butter.i think either the butter or bacon has sugar and that is why im not going to a higher acid level.maybe i dont know maybe this is were i will stay at.

MagicMtnDan
03-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Maybe you're eating too much broccoli? Like Froggy said, I'm sure I get the minimum amount of carbs just by eating protein (it "sneaks" in with the cheese and other stuff you eat).
Read the labels and don't believe them all. Try eating protein only no carbs and see how you do.

boatnam2
03-01-2004, 07:25 AM
thanks dan i wil try that.

chub
03-01-2004, 11:57 AM
I shoot for no carbs and figure there has to be some in something I'm eating. Green chili in the can say's 0 carbs and goes great on Pork with some sour cream. OKAY what's your favorite no carb meal?

HammerDown
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Awwww man, no veggies at all...just Meat, eggs, fish...good luck going to the you know what :rolleyes: (grunt-grunt).
I'll take the few carbs from Asparagus or Broccoli. Remember to subtract the fiber # from the Carb# on those 2 veggies.
I just discovered ground lean Turkey...very good with green onion and other spices on the GF Grill...zero Carbs...very low fat.

Froggystyle
03-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Well, I just started induction today!
Here is the super secret... Go to a killer mexican restaraunt and order Pollo Asado and just get two breasts. Cheaper than the whole plate, and you can dog down on good grub for no carbs at all.
Score... Steak for dinner, eggs tomorrow. We will see what I end up weighing. Working out harder now too.

mirvin
03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Awwww man, no veggies at all...just Meat, eggs, fish...good luck going to the you know what :rolleyes: (grunt-grunt).
I'll take the few carbs from Asparagus or Broccoli. Remember to subtract the fiber # from the Carb# on those 2 veggies.
I just discovered ground lean Turkey...very good with green onion and other spices on the GF Grill...zero Carbs...very low fat.
Hey Hammer, be carefull with the lean meats. Just make sure you're getting enough fat.
Mirvin;)

boatnam2
03-01-2004, 06:41 PM
well i checked tonite when i got to work and i was in max ketosis.strip was dark purple red.today was wierd did not piss half as much as the first few days.drank just as much water but hal the piss.

NorCal Gameshow
03-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Well, I just started induction today!
Here is the super secret... Go to a killer mexican restaraunt and order Pollo Asado and just get two breasts. Cheaper than the whole plate, and you can dog down on good grub for no carbs at all.
Score... Steak for dinner, eggs tomorrow. We will see what I end up weighing. Working out harder now too.
how 'bout chili colorado...damn, now i'm hungry
i'm close to my goal.. i think i'll read the book now :)

HammerDown
03-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Hey Hammer, be carefull with the lean meats. Just make sure you're getting enough fat.
Mirvin;)
With the Eggs, butter, bacon etc... and (Hammers deluxe cheese stuffed Burgers)....thats a none issue.;)

Froggystyle
03-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Woke up this morning early and started drinking black coffee for the first time ever. Not so bad. I think I am going to switch purely because of ease of operation and availability. I woke up early this morning to make my wife breakfast (Jimmy Dean sausage, Beef Kielbasa and scrambled eggs) and everything, got a great lift session in, and expect a good gain over the next couple of months. Ready for the river!
Less than 24 hours into the ordeal from a normal diet and I am at 40 on the Ketostix. That tells me two things... (way into ketosis...)
A) My revised, moderate carb diet is a whole lot better than it was this time last year, and I am not too far away from fat burning at any given time. That is great news.
B) I am only going to be on this for a couple more days to lose the six pounds I am looking for. Gotta love it.
Keep it up guys!

HammerDown
03-02-2004, 01:25 PM
well i checked tonite when i got to work and i was in max ketosis.strip was dark purple red.today was wierd did not piss half as much as the first few days.drank just as much water but hal the piss.
You should do the testing at the same time of day, whether it be morning, noon or night.

MrsJetDriver
03-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know where I can get Ketosis strips other than at Costco?

HammerDown
03-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MrsJetDriver
Does anyone know where I can get Ketosis strips other than at Costco?
Walmart has a bottle of 50 for I belive it was $14.00.

MrsJetDriver
03-02-2004, 03:04 PM
thanks hammerdown, i looked there today, but I must have missed them I will look again.

Froggystyle
03-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Any place with a pharmacy will have them. I got my new ones at Vons.

boatnam2
03-03-2004, 09:34 AM
ok got through the first week.last 2 days were a little rough working 12 hour graveyards but im straight days for the next 5 days so it will be ok.lost 10 pounds and a few inches on stomach.now i have a big canvas to work with but hopefully not for long.

MrsJetDriver
03-03-2004, 10:45 AM
k, i found the ketosis strips, now when is the best time to check?

Screaming Pete
03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Walmart has a bottle of 50 for I belive it was $14.00.
Costco you get twice that many for 12-14.00:)

MagicMtnDan
03-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Two weeks without carbs and I'm down 14 pounds. A pound a day is great but I'm sure it won't continue to come off that quickly...

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-03-2004, 12:00 PM
As I sit here eating tater wedges, I just do not think I can survive without carbs.
How do you guys do it??
:cool:

MsDrmr
03-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by MrsJetDriver
k, i found the ketosis strips, now when is the best time to check?
I would check first thing in the am or last thing before bed.

Fufu Queen
03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey guys been a while man It looks like everyone jumped on the Atkins band wagon, all I can tell you is that Hustler and I have been on it for almost a year 2 wks away from being a year Hustler lost 40lb and well I lost 20lb, we have keep it off and only teeter back in forth between 3-5lb of our goal weight.
I learned a lot of great things about how my body works and why. The one thing I can not stress enough is vitamins. Make sure you take your vitamins plus eat your veggies and fruit. This diet is not all about the meat it is about making your body work for you. I see that a lot of you are having cravings there could be a lot of stuff you are doing during the day that make this happen. Plus if you are on induction you should not be eating anything sweet not even Atkins approved stuff, also no read or tortillas.
And about the beer give it up, start drinking something that does not make you have to think about how many I can have. Plus when you drink anything you stop burning fat and start burning sugar from the alcohol. So you enter into a stall.
Just thought I would help a little, I did not have time to read everything, but if anyone needs some help or wants vitamin list let me know.
Oh ya almost for got Thank Froggy this is all because of you. Between Joe and I we lost 60lb and keep it off for a year. Love ya

Froggystyle
03-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Fufu Queen
Oh ya almost for got Thank Froggy this is all because of you. Between Joe and I we lost 60lb and keep it off for a year. Love ya
It was worth the convincing just to see you at the river last year! With absolutely all respect to Candi and Joe... Candi is a total hammer now! You two did so well, and you both look really really good. It is awesome to see you stick to it and feel totally healthy.
I started it again this week (always seems to happen about now it seems ;) ) Which is exactly one year from last year it turns out. You guys started when I was almost done with my two hardcore weeks and I lost over 20. It looks like I will only be on another day or two because I lost 4 pounds the first two days. Perhaps as much as 6. Full Ketosis now.
Talk to you later, Audrey says hi.
Wes

78Eliminator
03-03-2004, 01:21 PM
I saw Joe at Cyclone Marine and it took me a few seconds before I even recognized him!!!!

Fufu Queen
03-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I don't know about everyone else but this has been the easiest life change I think Joe and I have ever made.
Joe really made out, you could see it in his face after first 3 weeks. I have had so much fun thinking about new ideas and new ways to cook. It got me out of the roast rut, you know, roast on Sunday etc…..
I have been doing some work for a friend of mine that owns a sports bar, I just made him a low carb section for his menu. All from stuff in his kitchen, some stuff can only be eaten if you are on maintenance but I did the whole net carb count, so people know exactly how many carbs they are eating.
Man I could go on forever about this only because it’s so exciting and so easy to do, plus if you think about how great you feel now that you’re not carrying around a back pack weighing 20-40 lb. Just think about that, any weight you have lost, think about putting that in a back pack and carrying it around for awhile. No thanks.
I’m proud to be Atkins for life…………and yes I do eat fruits and vegetables.
Froggy Give Audrey a big hug from us, and don't forget Izzy....... Man I love that dog.................

checkster
03-03-2004, 04:13 PM
new to the forum / thread........Stick to it everyone!!!! I lost 40 in the last 3 months and have 20 to go and feel and look 10 years younger.

Fufu Queen
03-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Welcome checkster, that's such great news. Keep up the good work. Once you get on maintenance it's so easy........

HammerDown
03-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Darn, I'm messing up here some where, maybe those tasty 2 carb Atkins chocolate treats are throwing off my test strips.
I dropped 2 colors.
One things for sure I tryed a very low carb (2 per flap jack)Pancake mix and zero carb syrup...Well it sure smelled good, BUT I don't know what the heck I ate.. it tasted like the Foam from inside my sofa...with tranny fluid on top.
:yuk:

mirvin
03-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Hammer, aren't you about done with induction?
mirvin

HammerDown
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Hammer, aren't you about done with induction?
mirvin
Well...kinda...maybe...I guess not:rolleyes: I've got 20 to drop before April...I know I'm packing on more Muscle I can see it. Clothes are looser...but the scale hasen't dropped much.
Did I mention Zero Carb Peanut Butter Crunch Bites made by Carb-Slim...ok maybe my bad. But damm those things are good. Today was the 1's time I tryed them I better stay outta Walmart!
I'm going back on Induction again.:rolleyes:

Froggystyle
03-05-2004, 04:12 PM
I have lost about 7.5 pounds since Monday right now. That is not including any offset by the muscle gain from working out. I have been 100+ on the Ketostix since Tuesday morning.
Zero carbs all week that I could control. I got F-ed yesterday morning when I mowed down half a package of bacon only to find out it was honey baked and had 1 gram per slice. Add 10 to the total right there!
Didn't affect the strips though, and the little fat I am trying to lose is nearly done. I am stoked!

boatnam2
03-05-2004, 04:21 PM
i have until next thursday to be off the induction phase,then im going to parker and try to only have a few beers.im back to about mid scale on the ketostix.i found the bacon i was eating from costco was sugar cured, switched bacon.day 9, down little over 11 pounds.boys from work today pounded about a 100 bucks worth of mexican food for lunch was kinda hard to watch.

HammerDown
03-05-2004, 07:22 PM
I got F-ed yesterday morning when I mowed down half a package of bacon only to find out it was honey baked
Honey Baked...:eek: Whats up with that...:D

RiverForUs
03-05-2004, 09:03 PM
started Monday and have lost 7 pounds in 4 days.
Taking multi-vitamins too--turns my pee glow-in-the-dark yellow so I don't need to use the light when I'm up in the middle of the night peeing 6 times.
Actually had broccoli for the first time in my life!!!:yuk: Not too bad with gobs of cheese and mayo. Wife loves it. Had asparagus tonight and I loved that be she couldn't even choke it down. Go figure.
I miss my non-fat milk and sweets the most. Any no-carb desserts out there that anyone can suggest?

HammerDown
03-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by RiverForUs
Any no-carb desserts out there that anyone can suggest?
Sugar free/Carb free Jello...now theres some excitement for ya.:rolleyes:

Mr.Havasu
03-06-2004, 08:25 AM
O.K., Where can I download or buy a cliffnotes style of this diet?
My son is getting married in Oct and I need to drop 60 by then. thats about 2 lbs. a week. Doesn't sound like it would be that hard at 2 lbs a week, but 60 lbs sound impossible.
I've tried eating more protein and less carbs, but it's not making a difference. I need to really check out this diet and follow it and see if that makes a difference.
Think I'll go for a walk, can someone post a link while I'm out?
Michele

HammerDown
03-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by warlock25
O.K., Where can I download or buy a cliffnotes style of this diet?
http://www.everythingatkins.net/
But the books a good read.

MagicMtnDan
03-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by RiverForUs
Any no-carb desserts out there that anyone can suggest?
Whipped cream! Seriously - eat whipped cream in a can - check the label to get one with no sugar and no carbs (Cool Whip won't do it - get the can you shake and squirt).

HammerDown
03-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Whipped cream! Seriously - eat whipped cream in a can - check the label to get one with no sugar and no carbs (Cool Whip won't do it - get the can you shake and squirt).
Never knew that...thanks Dan.
Heck, that could even be fun...and I know just what to put it on.
(Honey)...I smell a party in Hammers Bedroom tonight!:p

RiverForUs
03-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Someone at work just told me about putting the whipped cream in some diet root beer and ice (crushed maybe?) to have a root beer float.
Think I'll give that a try tonight:)

MagicMtnDan
03-06-2004, 08:07 PM
I just shoot it into a bowl and sprinkle some sprinkles on it. Sure they're sugar but not that much in total. It tastes great too. Costco has some great whipped cream in cans - really tastes good.

boatnam2
03-11-2004, 12:47 PM
ok just got done with week two and the induction phase.well i didnt read the book but i have tryed not to have any carbs so i was never on a induction phase.im down 16 pounds in two weeks.long ways to go but seems to be working.

Mr.Havasu
03-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Thanks to reading this thread, I got the courage to start and reallt stick to this diet.
Got the book and read everything through the induction stage. I've been on it since Monday and have lost 8 lbs in 6 days. Ketosis strip is at 80+. Didn't loose anything the first 2 days while the carbs from all the beer I drank at RD's was still in my body. But I have been loosing 2 lbs a day for the last 4 days:) .
I think this is really going to work. It looks like people from here can average 5 lbs a week on this diet. at that rate I can be at my Goal weight by the first week in June. Who could amagine that! What a great summer it will be not to have to wear fat clothes all summer long! I can do this:cool:
Thanks guys for posting all your results, Keep it up,
Michele

RiverForUs
03-20-2004, 09:17 PM
and lost 19 lbs. in 2 1/2 weeks. seems to have stayed at the 19 figure for 3 days or so. trying to drop about 9 more.

boatnam2
03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
good job michele!well i just finished week 3.i drank for 3 straight days at at the river last weekend so i killed my drill alittle but yesterday at the end of week 3 i was down 21#'s.

HammerDown
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Ingredients:
1pkg sf jello orange
1pkg sf jello cherry
2 cups boling water
2 cups cold heavy cream
How to Prepare:
first mix jello and water - then add heavy cream beating it with a wire wisk as you add.
put in fridge and a couple of hours later mmmmmmmm. Enjoy
By the way it divides- If you don't want it to devide...let Jello cool just a bit, then blend in Heavy Cream.
:p

MagicMtnDan
03-23-2004, 01:08 PM
20.5 pounds down but more to go. First 14 came off quickly but the rest of the way it's going slower. Sure helps to exercise - I need more of it.

HammerDown
03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Just under 20...things are dragging a bit. Still running 2 miles a day + heavy weights at the gym 3 X a week.
Killer Steaks on the new Grill tonight...:p
Tryed some French Toast this morning made with crushed Pork Rines, egg, cinnamon, heavy cream and zero carb(like water) syrup...:yuk:

HammerDown
03-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Did the Whipped Jello Deal with Black Cherry...dam tasty!:p

boatnam2
03-25-2004, 08:19 AM
well things have slowed down for me also.today is the end of week 4 down 23#.i have been adding a lot of other types of food ,im going back to the grass roots meat and water for the next few weeks to see if i can get thing rolling good again.23 pounds for a month is pretty good.

Mr.Havasu
03-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Wow! I would be happy with 23 lbs per month:)
So far I have 10 days and 9 lbs lost! still have a long way to go.
I love the protein cheeseburgers at In & Out. are they o.k. on the diet?
Michele

boatnam2
03-25-2004, 10:26 AM
yea they are suppose to be ok.i like the ones at carls jr also.very good.so what do you have for breakfast michele?

Mr.Havasu
03-25-2004, 10:45 AM
This morning I had a very muture egg!
Actually I grilled some chicken breasts on the BBQ last night, cut them into quarter inch pieces and added Mayo,mustard, pepper and seasoning salt. mixed it up and ate some for breakfast.
Usually I have ham, cheese and eggs, fried or omlette style but I ran out of eggs.

boatnam2
03-25-2004, 11:23 AM
i know i think i need to buy a chicken,everytime i turn around im outa eggs.

HammerDown
03-25-2004, 12:02 PM
i know i think i need to buy a chicken,everytime i turn around im outa eggs.
I hear ya...seems like I'm always at the store...2 dozen eggs, Chicken, Tuna, Broccoi, Asparagus,Steak, bacon, cheese etc.
Thank goodness for the Whipped Sugar Free Jello...
;)

Mr.Havasu
03-25-2004, 12:42 PM
I thought it was just me..
John and I have been through 3 doz. since we started 9 days ago!
That can't be good:(

boatnam2
03-25-2004, 01:15 PM
what the hell is jon on the diet for?i was scared he would blow away when he datailed my boat!yea hammerdown im kinda diggin the jello whip cream set up myself.

Mr.Havasu
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
John really isn't on a diet, but he eats what I fix him. He totally is supporting me on this, and hey Steak everyday aint half bad.
He did want to lose a few lbs. and I think he already has. His shorts are falling off his ass:)
John had back surgery 7 or 8 years ago and ended up with an infection that left him on his back for two years. He can't afford to gain weight, it will cripple him. So this is a good life style for him as well.
Just got back from the store and got some Jello and whip cream, going to surprise John with a treat tonight;)

HammerDown
03-25-2004, 04:10 PM
hammerdown im kinda diggin the jello whip cream set up myself.
Did ya make it like I described on the 5'th page? Pretty darn tasty!