PDA

View Full Version : Howard 28' Boat this past weekend!

Keith E. Sayre
02-18-2004, 10:25 AM
this past weekend, I had the opportunity to help Les John take
his new 28' Bullett open bow Howard for it's first and then second
rides. His boat was the one at the LA boatshow with orange and blues in it. what a fantastic boat!
As some of you may know, I've sold boats for years and I've sold
alot of 28' v bottom boats new and used like Eliminators, Nordics,
Sleeks, Magics, Scarab, Fountain, etc etc etc. Most of them have
something that I have liked or disliked after driving them. But
none of them compares to what I droven on Saturday and Sunday. The boat rolled over onto plane with the HP500 very
quickly, it took a very deliberate and immediate set and then
it ate up the occasional rollers and tour boat wakes like they
weren't there. There wasn't a rattle or any vibrations anywhere in the boat, it looked killer, it rode killer, it hauled 4 of us around
with a full tank of gas and ran over 70 mph without getting above 4500 rpm. I have never been this impressed by a boat.
I know that Gene and Mike and Lenny build and service some of
the best looking and straightest v bottoms on the planet but you really need to ride in one to know the difference. I was very
pleasantly surprised. Driving cats and tunnel bottom deckboats all week is great and I never thought I'd like another v bottom.
I was wrong.
If you're looking for a fast, great riding--(never use the trim tabs) lake boat, Howard Boats has a winner!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

BENZEEN
02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Keith,
Did you guys ever let her loose to see just how fast she'd go? Also, did you notice what kind of speed you saw at 3500 RPM?
By the way, very cool of you to praise the competition. But I guess that is because you have confidence in your product. If my memory serves me correct, the two 27 foot Conquests tested in Hot Boat last year put up some great numbers as well. I Believe both boats posted 68mph behind the 496HO.
-Vik

roln 20s
02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Keith-
Very professional post and observation. Conquest makes a great boat, as does Howard. I love to hear companies praise others :D That was a gorgeous Howard- definately one of my favorites.
Roln 20s

dicudmore
02-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Keith, thanks for the input. Industry opinion can be hard to get sometimes as people don't want to bash or praise a competitors product.

dr. margarita
02-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Keith E. Sayre
this past weekend, I had the opportunity to help Les John take
his new 28' Bullett open bow Howard for it's first and then second
rides. His boat was the one at the LA boatshow with orange and blues in it. what a fantastic boat!
As some of you may know, I've sold boats for years and I've sold
alot of 28' v bottom boats new and used like Eliminators, Nordics,
Sleeks, Magics, Scarab, Fountain, etc etc etc. Most of them have
something that I have liked or disliked after driving them. But
none of them compares to what I droven on Saturday and Sunday. The boat rolled over onto plane with the HP500 very
quickly, it took a very deliberate and immediate set and then
it ate up the occasional rollers and tour boat wakes like they
weren't there. There wasn't a rattle or any vibrations anywhere in the boat, it looked killer, it rode killer, it hauled 4 of us around
with a full tank of gas and ran over 70 mph without getting above 4500 rpm. I have never been this impressed by a boat.
I know that Gene and Mike and Lenny build and service some of
the best looking and straightest v bottoms on the planet but you really need to ride in one to know the difference. I was very
pleasantly surprised. Driving cats and tunnel bottom deckboats all week is great and I never thought I'd like another v bottom.
I was wrong.
If you're looking for a fast, great riding--(never use the trim tabs) lake boat, Howard Boats has a winner!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400
SAVE THIS POST!! That Bullet looked great in the water!

DogHouse
02-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Keith-
Very professional post and observation. Conquest makes a great boat, as does Howard. I love to hear companies praise others :D That was a gorgeous Howard- definately one of my favorites.
Roln 20s
Oh Roln, you're such a HOWARD slut!!!
:D

dr. margarita
02-18-2004, 08:52 PM
That's OK Roln, so am I. Nice talkin to you on the phone dude. Keep in touch! You going to havasu in March!

roln 20s
02-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Oh Roln, you're such a HOWARD slut!!!
Yes I am! Just like a typical slut, I know my role :D
You should get out of that Magic and become one too :D
That's OK Roln, so am I. Nice talkin to you on the phone dude. Keep in touch! You going to havasu in March!
Let me know what weekend you are going in March, and I'll try and make it one of those days to ride in the Bullett. I wonder when Killer V is going next. You know? I'd like to ride in the boat that Keith is talking about too!
Roln 20s <--- a Howard Slut

roln 20s
02-19-2004, 08:31 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419Howard_28_Bullet_1-med.jpg
Here's the boat :D
Roln 20s

DogHouse
02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Yes I am! Just like a typical slut, I know my role :D
You should get out of that Magic and become one too :D
Roln 20s <--- a Howard Slut
Now why would I want to go and do a silly thing like that! :p
Nice idea, but come to think about, a Howard may be a bit above my "station" in life... :cry:
How long you figure it'll be before the insurance companies figure out that the "bullet" is just as fast as most "cats" and start refusing to insure them? :mad:
I'll just buy another Cheetah, shouldn't be a problem insuring one of those!
:D

little rowe boat
02-19-2004, 02:10 PM
[i]Originally posted by DogHouse
Nice idea, but come to think about, a Howard may be a bit above my "station" in life... :cry:
:D [/B]
Thats what long term financing is for.
:cool:

welk2party
02-19-2004, 02:15 PM
The bullet is sure a nice ride. If I were in the market for a V it would be a top contender.

DogHouse
02-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Roger that.
:cool:

mbrown2
02-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Nice story, and nice looking boat....I love those Bullets

Lakeshow
02-19-2004, 03:43 PM
70 MPH @ 4500 RPM's with an HP500 - that's impressive. Particularly considering that I barely kissed 70 in my DCB 28 @5,200 RPMS with the HP500.
Is it weight, hull or both????

roln 20s
02-19-2004, 04:04 PM
The boat weighs a solid 4400-4500 pounds (without fuel), their website says 4500. The boat is laid-up using Balsa. I believe its more credit to the hull, but I could be wrong.
How much more does the new FX28 weigh over the regular 28 Extreme? Powerboat just tested the FX with 900EFI and it ran 92-93. Thats not too shabby either.
Roln 20s

Lakeshow
02-19-2004, 04:19 PM
According to DCB they both weigh 4950.

cbudge
02-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Les , put some real power in it and it'll handle the same only 30-40 mph faster.. Glad you like it , hate to tell you " I told you so".

roln 20s
02-20-2004, 07:44 AM
CBudge-
When are you going to make it to Havasu this summer? I would love to bum a 105+ test ride-hehe. Are you going to make it to the Howard Regatta!
Roln 20s

dkreuzen
02-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cbudge
Les , put some real power in it and it'll handle the same only 30-40 mph faster.. Glad you like it , hate to tell you " I told you so".
Hey Chad,
Are you building a new house in Havasu on Bracero ? If so we are almost neighbors, I look down at your roof from about 1/4 mile up the hill.
Dennis

cbudge
02-24-2004, 05:55 PM
yes thats our new home, just at the sheetrock stage now. It will be a few months before its finished, I am looking for some landscapers if anyone has some input. We will be back out in March to deal with the typical new construction details. Plan on getting the Howard out and see if it still runs.

Essex502
02-25-2004, 07:05 AM
Try talking to Desert Green Landscape. Good people and reasonable pricing. There's another thread on Landscapers in LHC.