PDA

View Full Version : best luanch ramps in havasu

4day!!
02-21-2004, 02:49 PM
new guy here. where's the easiest, least crowds to launch a 25' boat on havasu. I get irratated very easily with the kids and wife whinning at me and trying to launch a boat by myself. I dont have a whole lot of launching experience. where should i go?
thanks..

LAVEYSABRE575
02-21-2004, 03:09 PM
welcome 4day...come on over to the springs i always enjoy a little ramp rage.......i would say in havasu the best spot would be winsor since we dont go to the marina anymore.....

4day!!
02-21-2004, 03:21 PM
thanks lavey, yeah some the funnest times a the lake/river are on sunday evening at the launch ramps. I could sit there for hours with a box o beer and laugh my ass off, great free entertainment.. Wait a minute i'm going to be the entertainment soon.:( kharma i guess. Oh well F em if they can't take a joke..

clownpuncher
02-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by LAVEYSABRE575
welcome 4day...come on over to the springs i always enjoy a little ramp rage.......i would say in havasu the best spot would be winsor since we dont go to the marina anymore.....
You've had bad luck there? I like the place. A little small, but the peeps are a different crowd than the Marina or windsor. Never had any problem there. Relatively nice and quiet.
4day sounds like he may be fireman :D

4day!!
02-21-2004, 10:40 PM
how about cattail cove for launching. Does anyone know of more options for general public launching? What about havasu springs, havasu landing, black meadow or sand point. California or AZ. side. I will be heading out memorial weekend. I would rather stay home and go on an off weekend, but it's easier with kids not missing so much school. Any opinions are appreciated..

mbrown2
02-22-2004, 12:12 AM
If it is Memorial, get up early and use Take-Off point near the dam (free)...got to get there early though

SoCal_fun
02-22-2004, 01:24 AM
We stay at Black Meadow Landing. It's cool for the family, as they are pretty strict and keep the hoopla down to a minimum.
If your kids are young and impressionable, you might appreciate it as we do.

Scream
02-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Why don't you and the wife practice? When I bought my first boat, a 16' 69 Glenco V-hull whacker...loved that boat...but I digress.
We used to take it to the local lakes (Silverwood, Puddingstone, Perris) to practice launching, retrieving. We did it during the week when the crowds were minimal.
I have my wife drive the boat because she doesn't back trailers well. She's pretty good at launching and retrieving, but she's been doing it for a while now.

j-rod
02-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by SoCal_fun
We stay at Black Meadow Landing. It's cool for the family, as they are pretty strict and keep the hoopla down to a minimum.
If your kids are young and impressionable, you might appreciate it as we do.
I can't wait I'll be a t this nazi camp in 2 months!
BTW the ramp is steep!
:D

LUVNLIFE
02-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Yea J-rod I'll be there right after you. I haven't had any Nazi incidents yet. Previously we would go in early April so I could pick up some extra grandparents ( snowbirds).:D :D

little rowe boat
02-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Havasu springs and Cattail cove are usually the best and easiest places to launch, most of the time the lines are not as long and at Havasu springs the ramp is not very steep.The people that stay at the springs are usually willing to jump in and lend a hand when people are having problems, because it tends to keep things moving at a quicker pace.:cool:

LAVEYSABRE575
02-22-2004, 11:12 AM
ya we love helping out.......

little rowe boat
02-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 4day!!
new guy here. where's the easiest, least crowds to launch a 25' boat on havasu. I get irratated very easily with the kids and wife whinning at me and trying to launch a boat by myself. I dont have a whole lot of launching experience. where should i go?
thanks..
Teach the wife how to help out when launching and trailering the boat.The best thing I ever did was to get her involved,she can put that boat and trailer just about anywhere,usually to the disappointment of the trailer trash I mean hecklers that like to watch people damage their expensive toys.:cool:

CrazyHippy
02-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Site 6 :D
The best ramp rage is always @ site 6.
Windsor has been good to me.
BJH

Havasu_Dreamin
02-22-2004, 07:57 PM
We have never had any problems at the marina. Unfortunately, it can get crowded but if everyine pays attention to what they are doing, and some definitely DON'T, it is an easy enough place to launch.
Word of advice, and if you already do this I apologize, when launching and retrieving, regardless of where, motor OUT OF the launch area while waiting for the person driving the truck w/trailer to get back. Do not just idle in the launch area!

jbtrailerjim
02-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Word of advice, and if you already do this I apologize, when launching and retrieving, regardless of where, motor OUT OF the launch area while waiting for the person driving the truck w/trailer to get back. Do not just idle in the launch area! [/B]
I'll second that. Man that pisses me off when people just hang out and are in the f@#ken way. I also can't stand the people that hog the dock's up and won't let people pull in and drop people off.

hava life
02-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Catail cove is a good place to launch as long as its not busy. The parking is not to good. When you get the boat off the trailer there is not alot of room to move around in. Windsor is way tooo crowded:( on the big weekends. I usually launch real early just to get in, not to good with a hangover. site 6 always fun to watch;) . Good luck and launch early.

LAVEYSABRE575
02-23-2004, 12:08 AM
4day, a great way to help teach the wife how to drive the boat on the trailer is to take a floating buoy out to the lake drop it in the water in a nice secluded open area have her practice by slowly touching the buoy with the front of your boat the softer the touch the better,tip on backing down the trailer try taking a couple cones to an open parking lot have her practice by backing between the cones has she progresses position the truck so she has to turn around corners to get between the cones, make it a little tougher for her so when its showtime she more then prepared good luck...derek

Kilrtoy
02-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Word of advice, and if you already do this I apologize, when launching and retrieving, regardless of where, motor OUT OF the launch area while waiting for the person driving the truck w/trailer to get back. Do not just idle in the launch area!
Amen
get the hell out of the way....

Mrs Luvnlife
02-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
OMG.......I literally QUOTE that........get the HELL OUTTA THE WAY....there is nothing more frustrating than having boats sitting ALL OVER the damn place when you are trying to put the boat on the trailer, or get it off for that matter. There's the whole flippin lake out there to enjoy while waiting!! Just had to put in my .02! :D :D

91nordic29
02-23-2004, 08:47 AM
people act like they arent going to get back in to pick up/drop off etc. MORONS!

beer hunter
02-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 4day!!
I will be heading out memorial weekend.
I was out last Memorial weekend and Winsor was full by 7:00am. We had a slip in the marina so I was able to bypass the launch ramp lines, but the wait looked VERY long. If you plan on launching at either of these ramps I would plan on getting out there very early. :)

Ducatista
02-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Launch early(6am) and come in earily(3:30pm) or stay out really late! That is one of the crazy weekends. My wife refused to be a "useless female" as she put it, that just sits in the boat while the husband has to do everything. I gave her a choice, learn the boat or the tow vehicle thing. She chose the truck/trailer since the boats kinda big, and now she is damn near as good as me with park'n/back'n the burb and trailer. Best thing we ever did, now she is a pro at it, practice makes perfect. She cracks me up now, look out if your a launch ramp idiot, cause she'll run you're ass over! Now I can just sit in the boat, look'n cool of course, while she does all the work! God bless America!:D

Sun burners
02-24-2004, 12:33 PM
We or I should say I go out real early on holiday weekends and get a spot in the channel, then wait for the family to come down.
I found that the MARINA seems to be the easist when launching by myself! It has a protected area thats almost wake less with a forgiving soft dock.
Then stay out late let all the crazy boaters get out of hand at the docks.