PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used

FRANK THE TANK
02-22-2004, 12:21 PM
a Power Caster Trailer mover? I'm looking at buying one and I wanted some feed back on them. Does anyone know who else makes these kinds of things? Here's the website incase anyone needs to sneak a peak. Thanks for the 411........
http://www.powercaster.com/

lynden
02-22-2004, 06:44 PM
The guy at our local marine repair has an old tiller that he has modified to do that same thing. He put wheels where the tines were, and put a swiveling wheel on the back of it.

FRANK THE TANK
02-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Was it pretty hard to modify?

mike37
02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by lynden
The guy at our local marine repair has an old tiller that he has modified to do that same thing. He put wheels where the tines were, and put a swiveling wheel on the back of it.
like thishttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/253Dsc00834-med.jpg

FRANK THE TANK
02-22-2004, 06:56 PM
That thing looks scary....Thanks for the 411 though.

LUVNLIFE
02-22-2004, 07:16 PM
At the boat show I saw two different booths selling them. I didn't check them out but maybe someone else here did. Anyone?

havasuaddicted661
02-22-2004, 07:35 PM
A buddy of mine has one...he uses it to just get his boat in and out of his garage in havasu he loves it works great
Im not sure which one he has i know that it ran him like 600 to 700 if I am not mistaken

Havasu_Dreamin
02-22-2004, 07:53 PM
If I remember correctly the Power Caster requires that you mount a bracket to your trailer. It does not just utilize the hitch portion.

FRANK THE TANK
02-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
If I remember correctly the Power Caster requires that you mount a bracket to your trailer. It does not just utilize the hitch portion.
That's the only part that I don't like. I was thinking about welding a 2" ball to the top of it. I really didn't want to drill three holes in my trailer. Do you think that would work?

HOSS
02-23-2004, 08:23 PM
I haven`t used one but was thinkin` of buying the pump.

al cole'holic
02-23-2004, 08:50 PM
..some dude that lives across the street from Denis26 has one, in fact he works a Rex Marine. The thing is ****ing great, electric, and allows him to put two boats into the garage...one in the boat deep and the other at a crazy angle almost parallel with the second garage door.

FRANK THE TANK
02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
..some dude that lives across the street from Denis26 has one, in fact he works a Rex Marine. The thing is ****ing great, electric, and allows him to put two boats into the garage...one in the boat deep and the other at a crazy angle almost parallel with the second garage door.
That's why I need this unit. I have a pretty tight spot I have to get into in my garage and I can't make the turn with my Tahoe. I just don't want to pay the $750 - $1400 they want for these things. Does anyone have one I can buy off them used?????????
:D

al cole'holic
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by FRANK THE TANK
That's why I need this unit. I have a pretty tight spot I have to get into in my garage and I can't make the turn with my Tahoe. I just don't want to pay the $750 - $1400 they want for these things. Does anyone have one I can buy off them used?????????
:D
...the thing is crazy, I think he plugs it in too! :D

al cole'holic
02-23-2004, 09:18 PM
..here's another site but the same kind of pricing:
http://powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

al cole'holic
02-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by HOSS
I haven`t used one but was thinkin` of buying the pump.
Let me know if I can help you in anyway....:D

FRANK THE TANK
02-23-2004, 09:35 PM
..here's another site but the same kind of pricing:
http://powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html
Thanks! That one looks pretty cool. I'll check it out.

JetBoatRich
02-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Let me know if I can help you in anyway....:D
Did you want to admit that:rolleyes:

NorCal Gameshow
02-23-2004, 09:48 PM
buy an old riding lawn mower paint some flames on it, bolt a trailer ball to it and your set...:D

al cole'holic
02-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Did you want to admit that:rolleyes:
..it's my job :D

Nubbs
02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I use a single wheel power caster to get my boat in and out. It works well but took a little practice. We have a garage door in front and back of our single car garage. We back the boat through the garage into the backyard. There's about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance on each side of the trailer.

HotRod Sprint
02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Do those rototillers have reverse?
Rod

FRANK THE TANK
02-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Nubbs
I use a single wheel power caster to get my boat in and out. It works well but took a little practice. We have a garage door in front and back of our single car garage. We back the boat through the garage into the backyard. There's about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance on each side of the trailer.
Where did you get yours?

Chase
02-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by lynden
OK That is awesome idea, that I may just try, since you can get an old tiller for next to nothing...
A junior dragster engine would bolt right on....:D :D

Havasu Cig
02-24-2004, 02:50 PM
I have owned two Power Casters. I owned the medium model and the heavy duty one.
I had the the piece that it attaches to welded onto the trailers while they were being built so I did not have to attach the adapter. If this is an option it looks much better than the bolt on one. More than likely you can not weld a ball on the Power Caster because it needs more toungue weight than what you will get at the hitch on the trailer. They reccomend you mount the attachment two feet back from the ball.
If you have surge brakes on the trailer and plan on using on ground that is not level you will have problems. You can not use forward or reverse as a brake because it needs to come to a complete stop before it will engage in the opposite direction. electric over hydraulic brakes are the way to go because you can buy the adapter that allows you to control the brakes on the trailer.
When I bought the last one, which was their top of the line one, it would not work on our Cig. They told me that they had never had a trailer that it would not work on, but the Cig was to much for it. I have a slight incline on the driveway in front of my garage and it just shut down when trying to push it in. The Cig is about 12,000 pounds though, so a smaller boat would not have the same problem.
They were cool to deal with and took it back no questions asked. They even gave me full credit back on the first one when I upgraded. If the above problems can be worked out it is a great tool.
I am going to buy a forklift instead.;)

BADBLOWN572
02-24-2004, 03:40 PM
A buddy of mine has one of the power casters and it works awesome. He moves a 36' skater and a 42' fountain within 1" of each other to get them to fit in his garage. Definitely a worth while investment if you are going to have boats installed in tight situations. A lot easier and cheaper than fixing trailers or gel coat.

Havasu Cig
02-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Well the "42 Fountain" is actually a 35' so I dont feel so bad.:D

Hermosa
02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
I use the Power Caster PC-1 (light duty) to move my 25' boat around. I have a garage door on the back of my garage, I back the boat throught that and across the patio, and behind the house, people back there don't even know a boat is back there! When they see the tight space it's parked in, they all wonder how I got it back there. The Power Caster works well for me. I didn't want to weld on the bracket, so I screwed a 2" ball on the bottom side of the trailer, just screwed it on the bottom side of the bolt that acts as the swivel side for the pivot hitch. The 2" ball fits perfectly into the Power Caster receiver, and you have plenty of controll. I should really post some pictures, you guys would not believe the tight spot behing my house where this boat is stored, you would never guess it's there until you walk around and see it. Without the Power Caster, I could not get it back there. When I back to that area where I really need to crank it, I back on a couple moving blankets, I can get the trailer to move in a 90 degree angle in a second without the tures grinding into the stamped concrete, works perfect every time, back it the rest of the way, and put the blankets away.

FRANK THE TANK
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Pictures please.............:D

AzDon
02-24-2004, 05:32 PM
When I lived in Glendora, I had a four-bay garage where only the first bay lined up with the driveway, so the other 3 boats had to make severe s-turns to go in the garage. I bought an old Chevette for $300 and mounted a hitch ball on the middle of the front bumper. It worked at least as well as pushing with a forklift and the tandems didn't stall the thing on the sharp turns! I also used it to commute to Montebello every day and saved a ton on gas and tires! A Metro would probably work just as well!
Also, if you don't like black tire marks on your white concrete..... Wet it down before scuffing the tires across it and the black marks will rinse right off afterwards!

FRANK THE TANK
02-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by AzDon
When I lived in Glendora, I had a four-bay garage where only the first bay lined up with the driveway, so the other 3 boats had to make severe s-turns to go in the garage. I bought an old Chevette for $300 and mounted a hitch ball on the middle of the front bumper. It worked at least as well as pushing with a forklift and the tandems didn't stall the thing on the sharp turns! I also used it to commute to Montebello every day and saved a ton on gas and tires! A Metro would probably work just as well!
Also, if you don't like black tire marks on your white concrete..... Wet it down before scuffing the tires across it and the black marks will rinse right off afterwards!
Thanks for the advice!

Hermosa
02-25-2004, 06:44 AM
I would take photos, but I'm working on the East Coast for a few months, be back West in April... I hope. The guys at Trail-Rite trailers wanted a picture too, just to see what I was doing and how it worked with no modification.
The wet concrete idea sounds good also, might need to try that.

Floatin'
04-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by FRANK THE TANK
a Power Caster Trailer mover? I'm looking at buying one and I wanted some feed back on them. Does anyone know who else makes these kinds of things? Here's the website incase anyone needs to sneak a peak. Thanks for the 411........
http://www.powercaster.com/
After spending 20 min. to put my boat under a small tight awning this past weekend, I am going to buy one of these movers, just wanted to know which one you ended up buying if any ? Which size should I buy because I need it to move a 30' Weekend Warrior trailer as well as the boat. Also does anyone know if it will fit in the back of a SUV to transport it to and from the river ? That way I don't have to take my big truck.

OGShocker
04-22-2004, 07:39 AM
I have one! I love it. This thing saved my marriage! No more "DAMN IT honey, PUT YOUR F'ing back INTO IT"!!!!!
It will fit in the back of a Suburban....