PDA

View Full Version : V10 or Diesel

prosthogod
02-24-2004, 09:47 AM
I'm looking to sell my F-250 diesel and get an excursion. My problem is used diesels are hard to find and expensive. The V10 are dime a dosen and alot less $. But can the gas pull 11,000lbs trailer like a diesel?:confused:

bigq
02-24-2004, 10:03 AM
better question to ask is why are they a dime a dozen?
Never thought I would say it, but I would stay with diesel.;)

Speedin' Ian
02-24-2004, 10:27 AM
I currently have a 4x4 F-250 crew cab long bed with the V-10, which I tow a 7500lb fifth wheel with. On flat land it tows fine in OD from 55mph on up ( I usually tow at 65), the steepest grade I towed up was 8% and I had it to the floor in second doing close to 50mph. The gas mileage is between 9-12mpg depending on what kind of driving I'm doing (highway or around town) and its the same whether I'm towing or not. My dad on the other hand has the diesel, with bigger tires, and tows the same fifth wheel with a 3000lb boat behind it up the same grade at the same speed. :eek: Diesels do get better mileage but they also cost a lot more and I've heard the 7.3 is a lot harder on the trans than the V-10

fourspeednup
02-24-2004, 10:45 AM
What year excursion are you looking at since you said "used?"
The 6.0 is the chingon motor but it had some probs early 2003, fixed by midyear. Go for the diesel, it may be cost little extra and be harder to find but it'll last a looooooong time. Better mileage, more power, plus V-10's sound funny:D

prosthogod
02-24-2004, 10:48 AM
thanks for your support

Chris Winn
02-24-2004, 11:23 AM
your rich anyways, buy the fricken diesel you cheapskate!
when are we going to be blessed with your presence out at havasu again???
ps- ask your brother how his head feels after my b-day party???

Boatski
02-25-2004, 03:08 PM
I have the 2000 Excursion Diesel 7.3 and pull a 1974 Howard mini cruiser (heavy hull) and am very pleased with it. Soon as I'm out on the open Hwy. I set the cruise control on 70 and it stays at that speed on flat or uphill. Sometimes I forget I'm Pulling a boat & trailer. I used to tow with a Suburban and I thought that was a good tow Vehicle. Just my .02.:cool:

rrrr
02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I had a 2000 Ex with the V-10, it came with the optional heads that spit out sparkplugs. Fortunately Ford fixed it. I had a concrete railroad bridge support jump out in front of me, so that one was toast.
Now I have a 2003 Ex with the 6.0L diesel, and it is one bad mofo. I get 17 mpg in town, almost 20 on the highway, and around 14 pulling a 5,000 lb. boat. It also has a bitchin 5 speed +OD tranny that is built to last for 250,000 miles according to Ford. It has a cooler, a cartridge filter and a temp gauge in the instrument cluster.
Get the diesel. Just look around till you find a 6.0L.
Oh, and they do really well in crashes.... :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/109Ouch_-med.jpg

JetBoatRich
02-25-2004, 05:11 PM
I hate when they swerve like that:(
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/109Ouch_-med.jpg

MKE - POWER
02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey Bro,
Get something all those boys won't destroy too fast. Neighbor Ricky has the new 6.0 in his crew with a lotta goodies from RBP.
Sounds great!!!
I plan on picking up the HTM on Thursday. If the weather's nice,
I'll meet ya half way in Havasu. If it looks to be sucky, then I"ll
drag it up to Scottsdale; Friday.
Chris....
My head was fine, but I think you need more Scotch now....
Mark.

BADBLOWN572
02-26-2004, 11:37 PM
I have the 6.0 in my F-250 and my buddy had the V10 in his F-350. Both of us were pulling boats that were roughly the same weight. Acceleration from 0-60 he has me, but anything on a grade or acceleration over 60 and there is no comparison. The other factor is gas milege. I usually get about 15mpg towing to the river with the 6.0 and he averages between 8-9 towing. Now that I have gone diesel, no way to go to gas in anything I to with.

HammerDown
02-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Something to think about...if your just wanting a Diesel because it's the cool thing to have like so many now do...and you won't really work the engine or keep the Truck very long...you'll never recoup the extra cash layout for the low rpm power house. True they have a higher resale but your still taking a loss.
I like Diesels...I've had them since 1988. But if I were to buy another truck I cant say the extra 5K for the Diesel Engine would be justified for the few months I now tow the boat in our short summers, unless I kept it for a very long time. And another 200K or so miles.
BUT then again...these GAS prices are getting mighty high. At times here in the Eastern Pa.we get hosed big time for Diesel fuel(winters):mad: I remember when Diesel fuel was ALWAYS cheaper than regular Gas. Now it's just as high or higher then Premium...and that ain't right!
Heck, I remember when Diesel was .75 cents a gal!