PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive side to side play

badscarab
12-01-2002, 08:34 PM
My 1996 bravo 1 outdrive has about 1-1/2 inches of side to side play in it. Ive been told that you need to drill 1 1/8" holes in the upper part of the side of the Gimbal ring and remove the gimbal height adjuster nut, then remove the swivel shaft and steering lever and replace them. I saw an ad in the May issue of Hot Boat that there is a new wrench available so you don't have to use a punch to remove the nut. Would appreciate any tips or advice from any one who has done this job. Thanks, Steve

Tinkerer
12-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Did you try to tighten the two nuts at the top of the gimbal ring to 50 FT LBS. This will usually solve most of the play problem.

badscarab
12-03-2002, 08:34 PM
No I didn't, but I will give that a try. Thanks

badscarab
12-28-2002, 08:42 PM
That cured the problem.Thanks for your help!

Tinkerer
12-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Make sure that You check those nuts at least yearly- If they get loose it causes damage to the gimbal ring that will eventually mean replacement time. And that is not a cheap fun job to do.

badscarab
01-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I will definately be keeping a close eye on it, because I sure don't want to do that repair. What was Mercruiser thinking when they designed that? I also have the Drew Marine "Sidewinders" to help stabilize the drive. Didn't realize it was loose till I pulled the drive for seasonal maintenance. Was shocked that those two bolts had loosened up like that. Doesn't move at all now.

Uplink
04-13-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Tinkerboater
Make sure that You check those nuts at least yearly- If they get loose it causes damage to the gimbal ring that will eventually mean replacement time. And that is not a cheap fun job to do.
I second that, I just found out mine has to be replaced. Maveric Marine quoted me at $2000! Don't let this happen to you.
Retorque your gimal u-bolt regularly!

Rocky
04-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I have to replace my gimbel ring also with 5-6" of play. Not cheap at all. Was told to always check the torque on those two nuts. And with a cat it will do it again in time without external steering. Expesive lesson learned