PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your boat?

wsuwrhr
02-24-2004, 10:02 PM
I am having trouble with the city in making my garage big enough for a shop and boat storage. It seems that when my house was built in 1950, boats weren't 19 feet long and 25 feet long with the trailer, jet and diverter.
I am not cutting the tongue for a swing-away. Still won't help, since the boat doesn't even have a bowl on it.
Since my boat design is 30 or 40 years old, I was curious where you guys, and gals, keep your modern boats, since the norm is now minimum 25-30ft and larger. Pics if you got them. I need some ideas.
Brian

Mandelon
02-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Cut a hole in the back of the garage and build a shed addition. F the city and their permits.
I keep mine in the side yard under a carport I got a Price Club. A regular cover and then the snap cover keep the f-ing cats out of it.
I have friends that pay local storage but that sucks doesn't it.

Trash
02-24-2004, 10:12 PM
My boat is 20' 6" long, about 22 ish with the outdrive and add another foot for the trailer with the tongue detached. Garage is barely 20 feet deep. I manage to back it in at an angle with the rear left and right corners of the hull touching the back and side walls. The outdrive is turned full left. I have about 1-2 inches of clearance between the whats left of the trailer after tongue removal and the garage door. Neighbors are amazed I can shoe horn the thing in. Sorry I don't have pictures. It's not pretty anyway!:D
I'd build another garage if I ever could afford it.

wsuwrhr
02-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Cut a hole in the back of the garage and build a shed addition. F the city and their permits.
I keep mine in the side yard under a carport I got a Price Club. A regular cover and then the snap cover keep the f-ing cats out of it.
I have friends that pay local storage but that sucks doesn't it.
The whole rear of the boat will be sticking out, transom and all, the garage is 18 feet deep.
I have one of those high dollar carports from costco/sams,but I just have a car cover for the boat. When the winds pick up out here, good bye gelcoat after the poles get through with it.
What do you think?
Brian

Mandelon
02-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Why can't you make a shed thing on the back of the garage....then take out a piece of the back wall big enough for the boat to fit into? Not the whole boat just a few feet.
I used to have the same problem putting a 19 foot boat into an 18 foot deep garage. I did cut the tounge off and got a sleeve to put inside it. Couple of hitchpins and it worked great. Made it pretty damn hard to steal too.

Rexone
02-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
What do you think?
Brian
Your garage is too small http://999999.c.telecomputing.no/PatChat/ikoner/82.gif

RiverKitty
02-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
A regular cover and then the snap cover keep the f-ing cats out of it.
Dang Mandy!
No wonder I couldn't sneak in the boat last night! :D
Damn snaps!! :mad:

Tom Brown
02-24-2004, 10:33 PM
I have the best solution of all. I store my boat in someone else's garage that's 30 feet long. That garage is about 100' from where I do my boating but it's close enough. :D
My hull is 16'4". With outboard and trailer tongue, it's all I can do to fit it in my 24' garage. While it fits, I'm going to go for a swing away tongue trailer next year. It's probably the cheapest option going if you just need a couple of feet and even if you had a huge shop, it's always nice to fold up the tongue and have the boat take up a little less space.

wsuwrhr
02-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Your garage is too small http://999999.c.telecomputing.no/PatChat/ikoner/82.gif
Really?
It is as big as your catalog. Too small. haha.
Brian

framer1
02-25-2004, 04:34 AM
I have it pretty rough ,I have three 40' deep garages and those are just for boats:D Have extra garages for cars,jet skis and kabota tractor, lawn tractor etc. Just thought I would brag a little:D

Freak
02-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Would a permit be necessary to put a 6ft long lean to on the back of your garage?

HavasuDreamin'
02-25-2004, 06:02 AM
I had the same problem. 19' boat with O/B hanging off the back, add 3' there, and add about 4' for the trailer tongue that does not swing away up front. I had always stored the boat at self storage units because of the overall length, until I had a new home built with a 30' deep third bay. Now I am good to go with a work bench out back of the boat. :)

Drunk tank
02-25-2004, 06:14 AM
My boat is currently a transient... moves from one friends garage to another. Guess thats how it goes when ya live in a condo and your single car garage is a damn fab shop. Anyone in Denver/Fort Collins area got a spot on the side of their house or shop where I could maybe keep it for about 2 weeks (spring break)? :frown:

91nordic29
02-25-2004, 06:27 AM
we have ours on the side of the garage under 2 of those king canopies. boat, trailer and all is over 33 feet. the easement BS doesnt apply because the canopies are considered to be a "temporary" structure (if they only saw how hubby has the bolted down, they would think differently).:D
when we had our 18' carrera, it went in the garage diagonally but just barely. jet drive up against water heater (well, really close) and the tongue in the opposite corner. tight. :eek:

shadow
02-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Me too framer1,40ft 'r. Used to rent storage.

Essex502
02-25-2004, 06:51 AM
We bought a garage in Havasu for the boat. The good thing is that a house came attached to the garage so we have a place to stay when we go there. Saves on towing too.:D

Back To Havasu
02-25-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a three car attached garage. After I put the boat in it, there is room for nothing else. 01 and 04 vehicles sit outside. Oh well, at least I have my priorities in order.:D

mirvin
02-25-2004, 11:13 AM
I keep mine in the driveway:( At least it's behind a privacy gate so you can't see it from the street.;) If you cover it right you can keep animals and moisture out but nothing beats a roof and four walls:D
Mirvin:cool:

rrrr
02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Really?
It is as big as your catalog. Too small. haha.
Brian
Thhhhhhhhwack!!!!!! :D :D

Mandelon
02-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Freak
Would a permit be necessary to put a 6ft long lean to on the back of your garage?
Depends on if you get caught. If you have to cut studs and put in a header then most likely, yes. If you keep the door closed when you do it, then, no. :p

Havasu_Dreamin
02-25-2004, 12:30 PM
The Havasu house has a 3 car garage with one bay that is 40 feet deep!

XTRM22
02-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
the easement BS doesnt apply because the canopies are considered to be a "temporary" structure (if they only saw how hubby has the bolted down, they would think differently).:D
Don't bank on that, and don't make any of your neighbors mad, ask Mltdwn12, he got cited and had to take his boat cover down in Peoria. He is however, the only one I know who's ever gotten busted for this.
Chuck

fourspeednup
02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Drunk tank
My boat is currently a transient... moves from one friends garage to another. Guess thats how it goes when ya live in a condo and your single car garage is a damn fab shop. Anyone in Denver/Fort Collins area got a spot on the side of their house or shop where I could maybe keep it for about 2 weeks (spring break)? :frown:
I hear that, last year the brendella lived at about 5 diff. places until I got the OK to keep it at the river pad:rolleyes:

fourspeednup
02-25-2004, 01:27 PM
where I could maybe keep it for about 2 weeks (spring break)?
I thought it was gonna be at the river in front of my house over spring break?

Chase
02-25-2004, 02:49 PM
At my Saskatoon home I have a detached 3 car garage where I have my 2 trucks and the boat stored in the winter. My wifes Blazer sits outside all year. My truck also sits outside in the summer since it is a bitch to get my boat in the garage and moved over to accomodate both trucks, so I just back the boat straight in, and leave the everyday truck outside.
I also have to have a swing away tongue on the trailer so it will fit. I figured it was cheaper and easire to have the swing away tongue than modifying my garage.

summerlove
02-25-2004, 02:54 PM
44' deep and it's only $1,100 not including utilities! Oh yea, and a house comes with it ;)
http://www.oursummerlove.com/HPIM0512.JPG

Drunk tank
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
I thought it was gonna be at the river in front of my house over spring break?
It is... I'm talkin about the two weeks before spring break. Think I may just park it next to my condo... the HOA is gonna love that! At least it'll be really close so i can work on whenever I want :D

fourspeednup
02-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Drunk tank
It is... I'm talkin about the two weeks before spring break. Think I may just park it next to my condo... the HOA is gonna love that! At least it'll be really close so i can work on whenever I want :D
Thaught you were bailin on me there for a sec;)

572Daytona
02-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Spring/Summer/Fall Storage:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/allboats.jpg
In the winter my Jet gets to stay warm in my basement while the Whacka and the Cruiser stay at the dock
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/Dscn7783e.jpg

boatnam2
02-25-2004, 06:26 PM
our garage at the river was about 3 feet short so i did what mandelon suggested and added a shed so it will fit only with a swing away tongue.thought a couple of the neighbors were going to make a liitle noise but they were cool and it works like a champ.

THOR
02-25-2004, 06:33 PM
I lived in Alabama for a couple of years while going through school and never got the balls to go to the local lakes with friends because I was scared of the cotton mouths. Are they really a problem or was I being a total pussy?
Ever been to Lake Martin?

572Daytona
02-25-2004, 08:09 PM
The only problem with cotton mouth that I've had is from drinking too much the nite before. Actually I've seen one on the lake here and it was way back in a cove, no where that you would be swimming anyway, they don't hang out in the open water.
I don't know many of the lakes in Alabama, I've heard of Lake Logan Martin, I know a friend that just bought a house over there. Property values are still pretty reasonable out that way I understand.

framer1
02-25-2004, 08:09 PM
I lived in Missouri for 8 years, I remember cotton mouths I think your being a pussy;)