PDA

View Full Version : Luxury Tax!!!!

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 10:48 AM
If I was to receive a luxury tax for my new toy when would one usaully receive one and has anyone received their's yet. I am not sure of how this works so if anyone has any info this would help out alot. Thanks-KELLY

al cole'holic
02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 79 HUSTLER
If I was to receive a luxury tax for my new toy when would one usaully receive one and has anyone received their's yet. I am not sure of how this works so if anyone has any info this would help out alot. Thanks-KELLY
..about the same time as your property tax bill from the county assessor. :(
My understanding was that it is completely random, I didn't get one for 2 years then last year I got one...1% of the purchase price. :mad:

Havasu Luvr
02-25-2004, 11:03 AM
In San Bernardino County, if you own your vessel 1 minute pass midnight Jan 1 in 2003 or for the whole year then you will recieve a tax of approx 1% in July 2004 and due by Aug 31 2004.:mad:

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. 1% is not as bad as I was expecting. My salesman was telling me that it was the same as a sales tax-8 1/4%. and that was going to become a serious problem and some serious coin.
Havasu Luvr- what if you boat is never in ca and is also registered in az. I was on the lookout for your boat on presidents weekend but had no luck. I will definately watch out for you during the year. Later-KELLY

jackpunx
02-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Kelly
I didnt see you out on presidents weekend either:D

Bad Puddy Tat
02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Register your Boat in Arizona as Non-Resident. Cost is $125 a year but that's a hellof alot cheaper than the luxury tax. Keep the trailer registered in Ca. so your legal. Problem solved and money saved:D

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Hey Kelly
I didnt see you out on presidents weekend either
Hey Bro, I kept an eye out for you as well but actually did not see anyone from here. Except Derek's Lavey cat and that was all. But if it makes you feel better :D :D I did see your boat on the trailer in the dirt lot at the Nauti Inn (or an exact replica) on saturday around 4:00. Those Fockers would not let me through to load by boat back on there trailer :mad: I'll keep an eye out for ya when the season starts... KELLY

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Register your Boat in Arizona as Non-Resident. Cost is $125 a year but that's a hellof alot cheaper than the luxury tax. Keep the trailer registered in Ca. so your legal. Problem solved and money saved.
That would be great but I do not think that the registration fees has much to do with Luxury Tax. I was told that if the boat was delivered (and notarized) in AZ and stored in AZ then Ca can not **** you with the Tax- Is this right???

jackpunx
02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Yea.. That was mine.. I dropped it and launched on Sunday... We'll defiantly see each other out there.. Your boat is kinda hard to miss:D

Quality Time
02-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Is it a luxury tax or a property tax?

NorCalCat
02-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Bad Puddy Tat & jackpunx,
When can you then register your boat in California with out getting hit with sales tax if you take delivery in AZ and claim a non resident??? I hear one year.
Anyone know?

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Not quite sure as I have not received anything yet. I just know that certain things over a set amount can get a Luxury Tax. I received one on one of my cars two years ago and did not recall what percent it charged and just payed it as another bill. Should have looked into it a little more back then. Just trying to figure out if I should put a few bucks aside or not-but 1% percent is ok (instead of 8.25%) if something does come. KELLY

Steamin' Rice
02-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Technically it's a property tax for boats. My understanding is that the tax is due if the boat is stored and/or used in CA the majority fo the time. If you boat in Havasu most of the time and store it in Havasu, get AZ registration and be prepared to show receipts for storage in AZ or a Deed for property in AZ where the boat is stored if you get the tax bill.... I can say that some CA property tax collectors are not very friendly on the phone and they WILL hang up on your eventually if you argue it with them.....:rolleyes:

Steamin' Rice
02-25-2004, 01:48 PM
How fitting... I just realized that my post #666 was related to the CA tax collectors.....:mad: :D :D

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
NorCal- if this is through Force ask them how they are planning on doing this in AZ as there is more to it then just picking the boat up in AZ. That was the plan with my 29 but it just did not work out. Try to get the straight scoop from John as he is straight forward guy. KELLY

NorCalCat
02-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Kelly,
You picked up a Force 29?

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 02:00 PM
yes I picked one up last year at the boat show, There is some shitty pics taken with a camera phone in the photo gallery. Just search under 79 Hustler and they will magically appear..:D KELLY

Havasu Luvr
02-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 79 HUSTLER
Havasu Luvr- what if you boat is never in ca and is also registered in az. I was on the lookout for your boat on presidents weekend but had no luck. I will definately watch out for you during the year. Later-KELLY
There is a story behind that weekend. 4 days before the trip I pulled the boat out and noticed that I still had 03 tags :rolleyes: so I ask my gf if she paid the reg. for 04 and her is her answer " I think soooooo" guest what? NOPE ! ! ! So I paid it online and printed out the receipt. Sat morning head to Winsor (North) as this is the only ramp that will handle a 29' at this time. Ranger saw my 03 tags and said "NO WAY" Az. law states that current tags MUST be displayed on the vessel and that having the Cali receipt was not good enough. So I elected to enjoy LHC with a different propective. Heated pool in the RV park and quality time with the gf and kids. We walked the channel sunday morning but did not see anyone. Even Randy's (Pet This) 38' was not in the slip. Thats ok, plenty of time to hook up with everyone this summer

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 02:15 PM
HL, sorry to hear of your mishap but it sounds like you made the best of it. I was able to launch at the Nautical with no problems, they just said to launch at your own risk-like always. I will definately flag you down this summer. Starting in the next two weeks my plan is to hit the river thur-sun 3 times a month. :D :cool: :D See ya out there-KELLY

SoCalOffshore
02-25-2004, 02:55 PM
It is not a luxury tax, it is a personal property tax. The tax is 1% annually and if you don't pay or forget to pay they will put a tax lien on you. That is just one more reason why my boat is registered in Arizona.

Essex502
02-25-2004, 03:04 PM
This issue has been flogged several times ... for those of you not fully understanding the CA law search and read the other threads.
In a nutshell:
To eliminate the property tax on your boat if you live in CA you must:
1) Register the boat out of state - you are required by the coast guard to register it in the state where you predominantly use or moor it.
2) Store it out of state.
3) Make damn sure it is out of state on January 1 of every year.
If you don't do all three of the above, you are subject to the property tax in your county of residence.

79 HUSTLER
02-25-2004, 03:09 PM
well the boats registered and stored in AZ so that is a start :rolleyes:

Scream
02-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
It is not a luxury tax, it is a personal property tax. The tax is 1% annually and if you don't pay or forget to pay they will put a tax lien on you. That is just one more reason why my boat is registered in Arizona.
I'm pretty sure just registering the boat in AZ will not preclude you from getting nabbed on the property tax issue. You MAY register your vessel as a non resident if you use it in AZ waters 50% of the time or more, but...the county tax assessor CAN tax you on your personal property that RESIDES in that county. AZ registration will only make it more difficult for the county tax assessor to know that you have a new boat. After that, you'll have to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove you don't have it any more or have moved the mooring place away from the jurisdiction of the assessor...

Bad Puddy Tat
02-25-2004, 03:45 PM
NorCalCat:
I did quite a bit of research on this subject when I purchased my boat in 2001.As well I have a friend that works in San Bernadino Tax collectors office. I verified with her that everything I did was legal.
1. I purchased and had the boat Delivered in California. I did pay the appropriate Ca. sales tax on the boat.
2. I own a place on the Ca. side of the parker strip. The rule states that the boat must be operated better than 50% of the time either in AZ. waters or federal water.
3. In 2001 there was no stipulation on where the boat was stored although I do store it on the AZ side of the river. However the burden of proof would be on the county tax collector not on the owner.
4. I registered my boat from day 1 in AZ so I never have had any correspondance with San Bernadino or Riverside County from a Luxury tax point of view
Regarding your question about The correlation from
registration to luxury tax that is the database the County uses (registration) to determine that you need to pay luxury tax.
Hope this answers your questions

NorCalCat
02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Bad Puddy Tat,
I am talkign about sales tax. If you register it in AZ I am told there is not sales tax. (as a non resident) Lux tax not so sure of.

Bad Puddy Tat
02-25-2004, 04:01 PM
I beleive that if you didn't pay sales tax in Ca. that when you register your boat for the frist time and title it in Az. you would be required to pay AZ. sales tax. Not 100% sure of that but I know that's how it worked for my sand rail. I'm assuming that would be applicable to boats also.

Quality Time
02-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I took delivery of my previous boat as a CA resident. I turned around and registered it in AZ per Coast Guard requirements of registering in state of primary use. I think I paid the property tax bill that first year. The second year I wrote the County (LA) and the DMV one letter stating that the boat is no longer a CA boat and stated the Coast Guard requirments and never heard from either of them again. There were no liens placed against my house or the boat both of which I have since sold.
I will be taking delivery of a new boat this spring. I will see what happens this time:rolleyes:

jbtrailerjim
02-25-2004, 05:39 PM
My last boat I registered it Arizona as a non-resident after getting hit with the property tax bill from the County of Riverside. I never saw another tax bill again after I did that. The new boat I just registered it in Arizona as soon as I bought last September and I have not seen a tax bill yet.
I see some comments from people saying you have to show proof of residence in Arizona and make sure that you do not store your boat in California. I've never had a problem with storeing my boat at my home here in California. But I'm sure in the hell not gonna go and tell the County of Riverside I store it the majority of the time at my home.