PDA

View Full Version : lawn care?

TRG
02-25-2004, 10:18 PM
i am looking for the best way to install grass in my backyard, i know i could just pay for some sod, but is there companys that will seed it with a high quality seed? i am looking for some avenues that i can go down?
i remember when i was involved in the construction of new homes and, when they would come around they would spray some paper looking stuff that had seed and fertilizer all mixed in the product, then a week or two later, blam! the grass was growing!
when i bought my home, i tilled up the front as well as the back, them i payed some gardeners to come and prep the dirt and fertilize then seed, nothing but weeds!!!! is there such a thing as high quality seed?
any input will be a great help!
thanks, todd

Mandelon
02-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Unless you have a lot of time to kill weeds, sod is the way to go.
Hydroseeding can be done, but it does not make sense unless it is a pretty big area.
You can water for a week or two and try to get the weeds to germinate, then spray with roundup. Do it a couple of times then go with high quality seed. Keep the seed covered with a topping of some sort and water daily to keep them damp for a couple of weeks. Some varieties grow from plugs, but not the fescues.
Just buck up and do the sod, it will be done quick, and it is so thick the weeds never have a chance. There also so emergent type pesticides that will keep new weeds from growing..

fourspeednup
02-25-2004, 10:48 PM
i am looking for the best way to install grass in my backyard
Ahhh, lawn care spoken by a true gearhead:D

TRG
02-25-2004, 11:37 PM
i thought about going the rock route, but then again, that way too arizona!:D
ive been looking through yahoo search, and have come up with some seed that is supposed to be the "GOODS", kentucky blue grass seed? what are your opinions?

ROZ
02-25-2004, 11:45 PM
I agree with Mandy... Go with the sod. .. With the weather as it is now, this is the best time of year to lay it in...The wetter the better, as I always say....

Rexone
02-26-2004, 12:24 AM
sod. Marathon 2.
You can't get there with seed without a ton of babysitting and care.

Hotcrusader76
02-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
i am looking for the best way to install grass in my backyard, i know i could just pay for some sod, but is there companys that will seed it with a high quality seed? i am looking for some avenues that i can go down?
i remember when i was involved in the construction of new homes and, when they would come around they would spray some paper looking stuff that had seed and fertilizer all mixed in the product, then a week or two later, blam! the grass was growing!
when i bought my home, i tilled up the front as well as the back, them i payed some gardeners to come and prep the dirt and fertilize then seed, nothing but weeds!!!! is there such a thing as high quality seed?
any input will be a great help!
thanks, todd
Todd....do the sod yourself...it's cake easy...just alot of prep for the dirt
~Ty

HOSS
02-26-2004, 04:53 AM
Spray entire area with Roundup. Spread topsoil about 1-2"`s thick. Rake it in to existing soil. Make sure you lwait one week after spraying Rounup. Throw down root stimultaor over entire area. Casually not heavy. Lay down sod. Cut with spade to fit. Hit with weedeater for exact sizes. Soak it like a swamp immediately after laying it down. Will probably look like dead shit for a bout 3 weeks but will be rooting. Now cuss me cuz you have to mow this shit.
I use to own a landscaping company. Down here St. Aug grows wild but I always would try to plant Centipede. Especially if I picked up maintenance at the property. It grows slower and not as thick. It also likes to be cut really short for that glass appearance. Doesn`t need as much water as St. Aug.

Mandelon
02-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
sod. Marathon 2.
You can't get there with seed without a ton of babysitting and care.
All that lawn care might keep you away from working on your catalog, maybe??? :D
Marathon 2 is really popular. It gets a nice dark green when it has plenty of fertilizer. Stay away from Jaguar.

boatnam2
02-26-2004, 05:25 AM
my buddy works for a golf course todd he can usally get turf at a pretty good price delivered.marathon 3

welk2party
02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
I am currently looking into some options myself.
My front yard and the neighbors yard butt up to each other. We both have nothing but crabgrass. I want nice grass but have been told that the neighbors grass will just overtake my new yard eventually. Will a concrete mowing strip help? Some have said that the wind will blow the crabgrass over and take over anyway. There has to be some solution.:rolleyes:

mickeyfinn
02-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
Green side up I would guess????

HalletDave
02-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Todd,
Stay away from the Kentucky Bluegrass and Bermuda hybrids.
Go to a local nursery and see what types of grass do well in your area.
I would be willing to say you can't go wrong with a dwarf type Fescue, much more drought tolerant than most grasses and will not go dormant in the winter months.
Remember when the lawn does become established, never cut more than one third of the total length of the grass blades.
Laying sod is the quickest way to a new lawn.
Good luck

Scream
02-26-2004, 06:21 PM
MARATHON III
Did I Yell?
Best seed on the Market, drougt tollerant and looks fantastic.

THOR
02-26-2004, 06:52 PM
I just installed Marathon sod last Friday, no shit. I have done it twice in two different houses and it is, by far, the way to go.

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Sod is the only way to go without a doubt. If it isn't that big an area, it will not cost that much and the product is so superior, it really doesn't compare.
My old neighbor (house before this one) was a landscape contractor and decided to seed his back yard due to the size and cost. It never looked good at all. He was embarassed because of his profession, but no matter what he tried to do it didn't make much difference.
Sod, sod, sod...
:D

BOBALOO
02-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Marathon 2 in front and back no regrets.
I did the front yard (about 1250 sq ft 2 months ago and it is really green and full. the Marathon 2 is a slower growing "dwarf" and if you have kids or dogs you might be better off with the Marathon 1
I only need a recommendation for a good fertilizer, high nitrogen will turn it really dark green right? I've tried a couple different ones in the back but still have some lighter green/yellow spots.
I really overfertilized it once and killed it in a bunch of spots.
Someone forgot to turn the water back on
:rolleyes:

Mandelon
02-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Ironite is good. But sweep off the sidewalks to prevent rust spots.
But i usually use just some (I think) ammonia nitrate, which is like 21-0-0. The lawn turns so dark green. Its really cheap too. Put in on dry blades then water well.
Make sure you guys have auto sprinklers with good coverage. Sod is like 37 cents a square foot now?

CA Stu
02-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
My front yard and the neighbors yard butt up to each other. SNIP
Great. Gay yard marriages :rolleyes:
CA Stu
(Sorry)

Danhercules
02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Unless you have a lot of time to kill weeds, sod is the way to go.
Hydroseeding can be done, but it does not make sense unless it is a pretty big area.
You can water for a week or two and try to get the weeds to germinate, then spray with roundup. Do it a couple of times then go with high quality seed. Keep the seed covered with a topping of some sort and water daily to keep them damp for a couple of weeks. Some varieties grow from plugs, but not the fescues.
Just buck up and do the sod, it will be done quick, and it is so thick the weeds never have a chance. There also so emergent type pesticides that will keep new weeds from growing..
I just hydroseeded my backyard. 6500 sqft. Tall Fescue. Sod was like 3k, I paid 400 buck to have it sprayed.
I tilled it, put in sprinkers, ran the sprinkler for 2 weeks, Killed the weeds with a spray. I did this 3 times. Called the hydroseed, and BOOM, 10 days grass was commin up.
Hey, Mandelon, Is a tall fescue a marathon grass?

TRG
02-26-2004, 11:26 PM
i think im giong to go the same route that dan just did! only because, i have 1600 sq. ft. and this would cost me around 1K for some quality sod! besides,....ive got a boat to biuld!!:D i seeded the front yard a few years ago...and she still looks great!
thanks guys for all of your input!
todd