PDA

View Full Version : Was I Right or Wrong?

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 07:14 PM
I was walking across the street about 2 hours ago and got hit by a 20 yr old dude who wasn't paying attention and talking on the cell phone. He was making a left turn and trying to beat the oncoming traffic. Nothing broke in me (thank god...wearing a plastic bag at the sandbar would be pretty lame) but I did a number on my ankle and got scraped up pretty good and smacked my shoulder on the ground. I got up and dragged my ass at least 100 ft and over to his window, opened the door and somehow pulled him out. I took him down to the ground, but couln't really do anything since 3 other people were already pulling me off.
A cop was just around the corner but didn't see it. After doing the paperwork and assuring me that the other guy was in the wrong, he tells me that I could be in trouble since I "provoked him" after the accident. Now this dude didn't even get out of his car after he hit me and everyone was screaming for him to stop and all that. He saw me, we made eye contact as I went onto the hood, then stopped as I went over the driver side--there are skid marks on the street--then he kept on going 100 ft down the road.
I didn't even fight the guy but since I forcefully removed him from the car I'm probably ****ed:mad:
I'm not really interested in suing this jackass, but what do y'all think about this?
Two reasons I'm lucky...
1.The guy was driving an eclipse=nice low hood line+sloped windshield
2.I ran out of clean boxers so I wore boardshorts under my pants today, saved my ass(literally)

twistedpair
02-26-2004, 07:20 PM
You detain someone who was attempting a Hit and Run, and YOU'RE?!? in trouble!?!:frown: :confused:
I think officer friendly has his head up his ASS! Get a lawyer and sue the little Dips&*# before he sues you.
Glad you're relatively ok.

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
You detain someone who was attempting a Hit and Run, and YOU'RE?!? in trouble!?!:frown: :confused:
I think officer friendly has his head up his ASS! Get a lawyer and sue the little Dips&*# before he sues you.
Glad you're relatively ok.
Agreed, but under the law I think if you do something to someone (touch them, grab them, push them) it can be considered assault. Now there are mitigating circumstances...
BIG TIME!!!!!
I think you will be fine. But I agree, hire an attorney.

j-rod
02-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Glad your not hurt and I'm sure everything will work out !

CA Stu
02-26-2004, 07:37 PM
The guy's an asshole.
You are lucky.
Chalk it up to experience, like a man, and get on with your life.
If you go the (pussy) lawyer route, only the lawyers will be enrichened. Everyone else will be empoorened. ( :confused: )
My 2 cents
CA Stu

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 07:46 PM
I've been through the lawyer shit and I don't want to do it again just to get a few bucks I probably won't see for another 10 years...these guys on the news that get huge multimillion $$$ settlements just give it all to the lawyers and the rest is taxed. Not worth pursuing it if you ask me. If he comes after me that's a different story:mad:

THATJEFFGUY
02-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Just wait a couple weeks, go get a copy of the police report, showing his address...then go handle it "Sopranos style" !

Kilrtoy
02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
he tells me that I could be in trouble since I "provoked him" after the accident
This is what the cop said
I think officer friendly has his head up his ASS
And it means this ,
Im confused:confused: :confused:
it sounds like he was just making a civil statement,
The cop never took a report on him grabbing the guy......

phebus
02-26-2004, 08:59 PM
The way things are nowadays, the guy will probably sue you for denting his hood. Bastards!! :mad:

HOSS
02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Kick his ****in` ass.

HCS
02-26-2004, 09:08 PM
You kick his ass and claim mutual combat.
Sounds like your lucky to walk away. As long as your not seriously
hurt, walk away and hunt him down later.:D
Nothing like revenge.;)

RJ Nordic
02-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Be proactive!:idea:
Get with an attorney, get a copy of the police report. I hope you got names and numbers of the witnesses. Take photos of the "crime scene", especially the tire marks.
The best defense is a good offense.
The Boy Scouts are right, BE PREPARED.
A good attorney can advise you on how to position yourself. Get checked out NOW by a physician, unless you are a doctor. Two weeks from now when your ankle is still bothering you, won't be the time to have it looked at.:mad:
just my nickle Hope you feel better after the weekend.

HOSS
02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
**** that attorney! Lawsuits are for pussies. Beet the shit out of the mother ****er. 2 wrongs do make a right.:mad:

Jordy
02-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
empoorened. ( :confused: )
Stu, I think you're making some words up now bud... :D

honkey1
02-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Why do you have to sue? The kid made a mistake and he diserved an ass kicking but, all you do with a law suit is make some ambulance chasing attourney a little money. Then the same people that sue will bitch about high insurance rates. Get the witnesses and a copy of report as stated above just for your own protection. Shit the insurance is probably in his parents name and it won't afect him at all although his parents rates will go through the roof..
I hate cell phones for that reason.. Just thank God that your ok and protect yourself. If you sue you might get 5 or 6k but really all your doing is filling up the attourney's pockets and contributing to the already outrageous cost of insurance.

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna go get checked out tomorrow. No sense dicking around, I'll check on all that stuff in the morning. I just want to have all my bases covered should something happen later on down the road.
Thanks for all the input
PS--Feeling fine, just a little scraped and bruised. At first I was thinking ankle sprain but I think it got banged on the front of the car...right on that ball thing that hurts like a mofo:yuk:

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 09:37 PM
And one other thing I forgot...the cockbag was crying when I pulled him out---I bet he shit his pants when he saw me:D

coolchange
02-26-2004, 09:55 PM
CYA! My neice got hit and my bro didn't want to be a "dick" about it. She was in a cross walk. The asshole sued THEM for denting the hood and breaking the windshield. In 6 months when your ankle is still jacked you're gonna wish you had pursued it.

HOSS
02-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Beeting the shit out of someone is one hell of a great way to persuade someone of your direction.:wink:

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Both points duly noted:wink:

NorCal Gameshow
02-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by RJ Nordic
Be proactive!:idea:
Get with an attorney, get a copy of the police report. I hope you got names and numbers of the witnesses. Take photos of the "crime scene", especially the tire marks.
The best defense is a good offense.
The Boy Scouts are right, BE PREPARED.
A good attorney can advise you on how to position yourself. Get checked out NOW by a physician, unless you are a doctor. Two weeks from now when your ankle is still bothering you, won't be the time to have it looked at.:mad:
just my nickle Hope you feel better after the weekend.
what he said...C.Y.A...

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
what he said...C.Y.A...
What's CYA stand for?:confused:

NorCal Gameshow
02-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
What's CYA stand for?:confused:
if i gotta explain...
Cover Your A$$$

Dr. Eagle
02-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
what he said...C.Y.A...
Yep, best defense is a good offense and all that crap...
;)

Froggystyle
02-26-2004, 11:08 PM
You can sue without a lawyer... people forget that. No money goes into anyones pockets except your own. His insurance will settle once the suit is on the desk. Period. If it goes further, you can get a lawyer.
I hate lawyers, and I hate lawsuits, but I would sue the guy in this case. He hit you, get your shit paid for. And don't sue for millions, sue for a couple of thousand. Pain and suffering (you are in pain and suffering) your medical bills (you absolutely have to get your ankle looked at) and for your trashed clothes. Lesson learned on his part. His parents will probably settle out of court in this case.
The suits are terrible when people get greedy and ask for compensation beyond their injuries. How stoked would you be if you just ran some guy down in an intersection, and he sued you, without bringing a lawyer into it $1500? I'd write him a check right then...

fourspeednup
02-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
You can sue without a lawyer... people forget that. No money goes into anyones pockets except your own. His insurance will settle once the suit is on the desk. Period. If it goes further, you can get a lawyer.
I hate lawyers, and I hate lawsuits, but I would sue the guy in this case. He hit you, get your shit paid for. And don't sue for millions, sue for a couple of thousand. Pain and suffering (you are in pain and suffering) your medical bills (you absolutely have to get your ankle looked at) and for your trashed clothes. Lesson learned on his part. His parents will probably settle out of court in this case.
The suits are terrible when people get greedy and ask for compensation beyond their injuries. How stoked would you be if you just ran some guy down in an intersection, and he sued you, without bringing a lawyer into it $1500? I'd write him a check right then...
I'm not looking to get anything major out of the guy. I may approach him on my own (ASU campus is not THAT big...I'll probably see him again). If I can get a new pair of dickies and next month's rent paid for I'll be a happy camper. But that "Panty Dropper" shirt I had is priceless.:D

honkey1
02-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Good post froggy I just think the standard answer when an accident happens is to sue. The kid made a stupid mistake and was probably scared shitless I agree that he should have to pay medical bills and so on but, to hire a lawer and try to get rich off the deal is wrong. Hopefully the kid learned a lesson and will be more carefull it the future.
Bye the way fourspeed I'm glad to hear your okay.

NorCal Gameshow
02-27-2004, 12:03 AM
the next few days will tell how sore your gonna be....hopefully not at all ...but when you tighten up, you'll know

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the concern everyone...I'm fine but it sucks to be hurt and know there was nothing I could have done. I've eaten shit plenty of times on my dirtbike and previously on my BMX but it was entirely my fault. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted;) on whatever comes next
--Signing off from Tempe,
Zack(aka fourspeednup)

Jungle Boy
02-27-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm with Hoss. From a outsider (Canatard), Americans are sue happy and kicking his ass would give a lot more pleasure. The police report will have an address of this guy. Wait a good long time and beat him down a bit, in the night with no witnesses. Make sure you have somebody that will say that you were at home watching TV all night. That or you could light a bag of dogshit in his mail box and burn his house down. :D

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
OK I changed my mind, I now want...
1)One New pair of dickies
2)Next months rent
3)One Keg of Newcastle with correct import tap:D

Rexone
02-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Did this guy stop on his own 100 ft down the road and just not get outta the car? or was he trying to leave and got blocked?
big difference on the hit and run scenario.
In any case you should get your injuries, clothes, med costs etc. covered.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 12:23 AM
He stopped right when he hit me, then got on it and stopped again 100 ft away and sat there:mad:

NorCal Gameshow
02-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
I'm with Hoss. From a outsider (Canatard), Americans are sue happy and kicking his ass would give a lot more pleasure. The police report will have an address of this guy. Wait a good long time and beat him down a bit, in the night with no witnesses. Make sure you have somebody that will say that you were at home watching TV all night. That or you could light a bag of dogshit in his mail box and burn his house down. :D
JB, you might be spending too much time in the jungle.. :D :D

Rexone
02-27-2004, 12:47 AM
He stopped right when he hit me, then got on it and stopped again 100 ft away and sat there:mad:
Then I don't think you can call it hit and run.
More like hit and oh shit wtf did I just do?
You should still get paid for what you're out in pain and damages.

Jungle Boy
02-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Sue for enough money to buy an aluminum baseball bat and a set of cheap throw away painters coveralls and set of cheap throw away runners. :D
NorCal - Yes, I have been here a little long this time and I'm getting rather grumpy.:frown:

dc96819
02-27-2004, 01:34 AM
I wouldent think provoking him would be a problem,maybe if you hit him it would be different.Why would the cop back him when your the one that got hit,could this be a racist issue.

CrazyHippy
02-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Get yourself checked out, and assuming you are ok, send a nicely writtne letter to his insurance Co, telling them theat they need to pay for your med bills, and time.
If you are F@#%'d up, go get a lawyer, and get your bills taken care of.
My .02
BJH

HOSS
02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Burning dogshit is cool!

Drunk tank
02-27-2004, 07:31 AM
I would of stabbed the ****er in the neck with a fork and ****ed his girlfriend in the ass!
I have anger issues :D

Dribble
02-27-2004, 07:44 AM
I think you should apologize to the guy for getting in his way while he was merely attempting to go somewhere. Then you had the audacity to try and detain him. What were you thinking?
You're lucky you weren't arrested and thrown in jail. What you should do now is have your attorney contact his attorney and attempt to settle out of court.
You can probably get out of this for less than $100,000.00 and pay for the damage you did to his car with your head.

91nordic29
02-27-2004, 07:45 AM
2.I ran out of clean boxers so I wore boardshorts under my pants today, saved my ass(literally)
holy ccrraapp!!!
i am so glad that you are okay. that statement just plain struck me as funny!:D

JetBoatRich
02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Drunk tank
I would of stabbed the ****er in the neck with a fork and ****ed his girlfriend in the ass!
I have anger issues :D
:eek: :cool:
Anger issues for sure:eek:

MudPumper
02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
****in Jaywalkers!!!! J/K:D

91nordic29
02-27-2004, 07:56 AM
there should be a legal aid office on campus where you can at least have a free consult.

Scream
02-27-2004, 08:06 AM
I've been through the lawyer shit and I don't want to do it again just to get a few bucks I probably won't see for another 10 years...these guys on the news that get huge multimillion $$$ settlements just give it all to the lawyers and the rest is taxed. Not worth pursuing it if you ask me. If he comes after me that's a different story:mad:
Maybe I'm wrong, but i believe that a jury award is tax free. But 4speed is right, the blood sucking lawyers (moneypit) will eat up ALL of that money before you ever see it...Make a claim with yours or his insurance soon to get the medical side rolling. You'll need ankle help I'm sure...

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 08:09 AM
I would at least consult an attorney to make sure you don't get screwed as having your medical expenses paid. I used to have some anger issues, some say I still do, but it has caused me some problems in the past.
You injury should be worth about 5-7 times what your medical expenses are. If this is not a large amount his insurance company should just write you a check.
We were involved in an accident in Earp Arizona about 5 years ago, and my other 1/2 screwed he back up pretty good. She went to the doctor one time, and then did not want to bother with it. Well, we were paid $700. by the insurance company because the doctor bill was only $100.
% years later she is still having problems with her back, and goes to the Chiropractor one a month to take care of the pain. We are paying out of our pockets for this. I wish we would have pursued it more at the time so she would have been covered for future treatment.
If you talk to a good attorney he should let you know where you stand. That does not mean you have to sue.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 08:11 AM
BTW: You had every right to use whatever force was needed to detain this person. You did not do anything wrong. If you would have pulled him from the car and beat the $hit out of him, and he was not trying to fight back that would be a different story.

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Maybe I'm wrong, but i believe that a jury award is tax free. But 4speed is right, the blood sucking lawyers (moneypit) will eat up ALL of that money before you ever see it...Make a claim with yours or his insurance soon to get the medical side rolling. You'll need ankle help I'm sure...
Jury awards are no longer tax free. The law was changed in about 95-96.

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
holy ccrraapp!!!
i am so glad that you are okay. that statement just plain struck me as funny!:D
These forums get a little exciting at times!:D

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 12:50 PM
There ain't a chance in hell I'm suing over something this small...the rent thing was a pathetic attemp at humor. What I did want to know however was how to cover my own ass in case this dude decided that he could make some $$$ off of ME. I found the actions of the guy to be the most amusing part of the whole ordeal and that's why I posted here. If I wanted actual legal advice (as much as I respect everyone's opinion here) I would have contacted an attorney.
The guy actually did call me earlier this morning to see if everything was alright. Doc says I'm cool. That's all that matters. I didn't expect this subject to become as serious as it did. To all of you that did give relevant advice I thank you, as for the rest...thanks for keeping me entertained:cool:

Jungle Boy
02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
OK then, you don't need to beat him down with an aluminum bat, but you could slash his tires. That would keep him off the road for a few hours.:D

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
OK then, you don't need to beat him down with an aluminum bat, but you could slash his tires. That would keep him off the road for a few hours.:D
What the hell's with you and aluminum?:D

Havasu Cig
02-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Just make sure you are not going to have any lasting injuries. Like I said before, I am paying out of my own pocket for treatment for my other 1/2 because of an injury caused by a blue hair brodsiding our vehicle.

jackpunx
02-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Dont sue him.. if something happens.. I'll come up from LA and handle it for you.. just go to the Dr. and make sure you didnt crack your beer holding hand:D

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
Just make sure you are not going to have any lasting injuries. Like I said before, I am paying out of my own pocket for treatment for my other 1/2 because of an injury caused by a blue hair brodsiding our vehicle.
That sucks big time! I do appreciate the concern and your posts have been helpful. It wasn't that bad of a hit, just freaked me out a little and I made it seem worse than it was...no biggie.:cool:

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Dont sue him.. if something happens.. I'll come up from LA and handle it for you.. just go to the Dr. and make sure you didnt crack your beer holding hand:D
Bring the 250 and do a burnout on the roof of his eclipse with them 37's;)

jackpunx
02-27-2004, 02:41 PM
NP ...:D

PlyaPlya22
02-27-2004, 05:15 PM
FUGGIT......Get a 30 pk head to the river sit in the channel get drunk and tell us what happened and how you are probably getting paid back for some shit you did earlier in life...payback is a bitch aint it..:D :D :D

fourspeednup
02-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by PlyaPlya22
FUGGIT......Get a 30 pk head to the river sit in the channel get drunk and tell us what happened and how you are probably getting paid back for some shit you did earlier in life...payback is a bitch aint it..:D :D :D
I'll get good n' liquored tonight and think of something:rolleyes: :D :D

BUSTI
02-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I hate frivolous lawsuits...like the lady that sued Mickey Dees for the coffee being to hot through the drive up. However in the case of traffic accidents it is certainly called for and do not listen to these guys mouth off how people that sue cause us more insurance premiums.
It is the frivolous lawsuits that raise our insurance premiums. Look there are three reasons to sue in your case. First of all you will have expenses even if just the regular doctor visist to get checked out. Secondly when ever a pedistrian is hit by a moving vehicle there is almost always undetected damage that surfaces later. Maybe torn muceles or legaments and usually things like your back which is fragile and it could be ****ed up. However these injuries may not manifest themselves as injuries for months or even years later. Lastly you can sue for some sort of punitive damage as it sounds that he was trying to hit and run. I am sure an attorney can think of more reasons.
My friend was in a similiar situation several years ago and did not sue. Fast forward to this year she required a cadaver disc inserted in her neck with screws in the vertabrae to correct a fracturd spine that was most assuredly caused by the trauma from her accident. Guess what she is out of luck. The guy that hit her is now dead. He didnt have insurance and although he had a home his heirs have since liquidated his estate and all of the expences are burdened by her and she can hardly hold her neck straight ...she wasa nurse and now it is so painful it looks like she has to leave her profession as she worked in stroke rehab which required her to lift patients.
All because her family and friends told her "oh it was just an accident don't sue just your attorney will get paid"
Thats bullshit you find an attorney that is the biggest asshole and most aggressive guy you can find. Have him go after the guy and the guys insurance company for big bucks. Have them settle with you for cash and a gaurunty that any and all future medical expenses incured as a result of this accident like future back injuries and such will be burdened by the defendent and the insurance company.
Thats why the ****er has insurance to protect you and him against his **** up.
DON'T LISTEN TO THESE ASSHOLES TELLING YOU NOT TO SUE!
My friend did that...and here is the shit his relatives disposed of a 1,000,000.00 dollar piece of property! And she got NOTHING! Now she is raising two kids by her self (widow) and probably will lose her career of 20 years!
S U E T H E F U C KE R!

Drunk tank
02-27-2004, 07:41 PM
BTW... just be thankful you didnt get hit by a woman. Then you wouldnt even have a question to ponder... you're automatically wrong... no questions asked
:p

Dr. Eagle
02-27-2004, 07:50 PM
What the hell's with you and aluminum?:D
Something to do with that red river racer, I think.
:D