PDA

View Full Version : pix of my 25 foot nordic rage build up

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 06:12 PM
heres a few pix of my 25 foot nordic rage with open bow. as you can see i have done a few modz to it like the intercooled 2.3L whipplecharger and the dual ram imco hydraulic steering, etc. in the reply to this post i have posted here below you will see pix of my dyno sheet (688 hp & 789 tq) & GPS (84.6 mph). yesterday at lake pleasent in phoenix, arizona was when i hit the 84.6 mph on GPS. the water level of the lake yesterday was 1730 feet above sea level according to my GPS. the air temp on my run was 75 degrees with lots of humidity as it was sprinkling. the water was sticky flat with just a slight 3 inch ripple. when i made my top speed run i had no winds of anykind. my tanks were half full, and in addition to my wife i had close to 200 pounds worth of gear on board. anyway, i give larrys engine & marine in tucson, arizona mad props for building my engine and rigging my boat right. they did a great job and i am very happy with their work. at havasu with a lighter load and better water conditions i think i could beat my best speed i ever did in my kachina jet boat (86.9 mph)

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 06:15 PM
pix of my dyno sheet and GPS

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
as you can see the links i have provided to my pix are good, but if anybody knows how to embed these images into this thread here it would be so much better. unfortunately i only know how to provide the links.

Kilrtoy
03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12528
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12529
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12530
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12531

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
thanx for the help Kilrtoy.

Beer-30
03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Can I take your Pilatus around the patch? Holy crap, nothing like looking at a boat thread and seeing my favorite plane!

Kilrtoy
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the numbers, boat and plane look sweet....
Love big power

Fast Freddy
03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Can I take your Pilatus around the patch? Holy crap, nothing like looking at a boat thread and seeing my favorite plane!
lol, i wish i could say that pilatus is mine but unfortuantely its not. i live in la cholla airpark here in tucson, arizona which is a private residential fly-in community like stellar airpark in phoenix (still working on getting my pilots liscense). somebody flew this plane in last week to look at one of the properties for sale in the airpark and i thought the paint scheme of the plane looked alot like my boats paint scheme. since i was fillin up my tanks with 100 octane LL avgas i thought i would snap a quick pic of the two together.

Beer-30
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
lol, i wish i could say that pilatus is mine but unfortuantely its not. i live in la cholla airpark here in tucson, arizona which is a private residential fly-in community like stellar airpark in phoenix (still working on getting my pilots liscense). somebody flew this plane in last week to look at one of the properties for sale in the airpark and i thought the paint scheme of the plane looked alot like my boats paint scheme. since i was fillin up my tanks with 100 octane LL avgas i thought i would snap a quick pic of the two together.
Ah. Whew. I was over-the-top jealous about the plane and boat matching.
Keep working at the lic.
I am actually getting two more IFR lessons in this weekend. Sat and Sun afternoons. Will probably get me finished up and set a date for checkride this time. My CFII was ready to make the phone call a few lessons ago, but then we added up my "hood" time and it was only 29.2 hours. I think I am at 36.5 now, so this weekend will give me plenty of time. We had a small gear problem that shortened up my last lesson, but she's all fixed now:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433small.jpg
I started in our other plane, which is for sale now: (the 182, not the Navion)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/243312small.JPG

scarabrick2
03-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm going to be getting my pilots lic this yr. My buddy is going to buy the Pilatus for his buisness. He/we will be taking people on Napa Valley Wine tours/retreats. By the way nice BOAT!!!
RICK

cc322
04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Very nice, great numbers as well on that sled

MOBrien
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm lookin at Nordic 25's. You running the 496HO whippled?....or is the motor something different. Very interested to know what motor you began with and what the overall mph gain was after you were done....& whatdya have to do to get it?
I'm trying to work out a new 25 w/ 496HO either whippled or procharged and would love to know what mph that would achieve.
Thanks. Nice ride.

deltarat
04-05-2006, 06:23 AM
I'm lookin at Nordic 25's. You running the 496HO whippled?....or is the motor something different. Very interested to know what motor you began with and what the overall mph gain was after you were done....& whatdya have to do to get it?
I'm trying to work out a new 25 w/ 496HO either whippled or procharged and would love to know what mph that would achieve.
Thanks. Nice ride.
Hey Mo PM Valkrie Voodoo he has a 25 open bow Nordic with a pro charged engine in it. He could answer your questions for you. I rode in his boat last year and was very impressed with the way it ran.

Beer-30
04-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks. Nice ride.
I was looking hard at Nordics until I crawled through a couple and the interior area was not as spacious as some of the other hulls I was looking at of similar size. Make sure you crawl around in all of the possibles before you settle.

Fast Freddy
04-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks. Nice ride.
when i bought the boat new in 2002 it had a 496 HO (425 HP) and a bravo 24" prop the best i ever got out of that setup was 71 mph on GPS with a light load, 80* air temp and good water at lake pleasant at about 5,000 rpm's.
last year in january i had larrys engine & marine put the 2.3 L whipple supercharger on the stock 496 HO engine and set it up on low boost (only 5 psi). the whipple kit comes with bigger fuel pump and bigger fuel injectors, etc. the tune we had on it supplied to us by whipple was way to rich as the engine was never dialed in on the dyno. estimated hp was 550 hp. with a bravo 28" prop it gps'd 77.8 mph at about 5,000 rpm's on lake pleasent with tanks 3/4 full, 4 people on board, 200+ lbs of gear, good water and a 85* air temp. unfortunately over labor day last year at roosevelt lake i had a pushrod failure and busted up my valve train.
so last winter i decided to go through the whole engine because i wanted to up my boost and for that i needed forged pistons. so we bored the engine .030 over to make 503 ci. since my engine is one of the older 496 HO's i have a forged steel crank. all 2003 and newer HO's have a cast crank. we put in forged scat H-beam rods and custom forged JE pistons that are dished. the compresssion ratio is now 8.5:1. we reused the stock heads and put in way better pushrods, inconel exhaust valves, stainless intake valves, etc. we used 1.7 ratio lunati roller rockers and a comp cams hydraulic roller cam with more lift and duration on a 114 lsa. i am still running the stock exhaust manifolds. the boost was raised to 6.5 psi and the engine was dyno tuned.
i run 100 octane LL avgas and the timing was set to a conservative 30*. it made 688 hp & 789 tq (see dyno sheet below). with the timing set to 32-34 degrees it will make more power but at this point i felt like i didn't need any more power so we left it at 30* which will allow me to run 91 octane if i run out of avgas on the river.
the speed that i am running now at 84.6 mph was done at 5,500 rpm's. i run a lab finished 28" prop now. i have included some pix of my dyno sheet and GPS here. if anybody could get these images imbedded into this thread here i would appreciate it.

phebus
04-05-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12708
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12709

Fast Freddy
04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
thanx 4 the help phebus. lord help me if i ever try to upload my videos, lol

Fast Freddy
05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
well my top speed has increased again. i am now doin 86.8 mph on GPS. click on the link below to see a pic of my latest GPS max speed recording. obviously my boat is faster at lake havasu than lake pleasent as i suspected it would be. at 450 feet above sea level lake havasu is a 1/4 mile lower in altitude than lake pleaseant. so the denser air is allowing my engine to make more power even though at 90 degrees the air temp was 15 degrees higher than it was at lake pleasant when i went 84.6 mph. not only that but i had 200 lbs more weight on the boat at havasu than i did at pleasant. my tanks were 2/3 full and the extra cooler full of beer, etc that i had on board added the addtional weight. i think if i had a lighter load on the boat at havasu like i did at pleasent i would have been closer to 90 mph. also the water conditions that i threw down in again were sticky flat with just a 3 inch ripple. when i went 86.9 mph on radar at firebird lake in my kachina > my jet boat was stripped done to the bone to get rid of the weight for drag racing purposes. so even though i have yet to beat my top speed in my kachina jet boat with my 25 foot nordic rage i can say with confidence that my nordic is now a faster boat.

Beer-30
05-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Now that you are dialed, I am curious about soot on your transom. Do you have much to clean off after a day at the lake?

Fast Freddy
05-02-2006, 02:21 PM
very little now that it is dialed in. b4 when it was running rich it was pretty bad. one thing i have noticed though is that since i installed the supercharger, intercooler and imco dual ram hydraulic steering, etc that this has added alot of weight to the back of the boat. as a result the rear of my boat sits about 2-3 inches lower in the the water now at idle when stopped. b4 my boats exhaust outlets were midway at the lakes water level. now the very top of my exhaust outlets are right at the water level. of course this is when the boat is just sitting at idle or crsuising thru a no-wake zone. at speed the boat is up out of the water on plane and the exhaust outlets are above the surface of the lake. the good thing about having the tips of my exhaust in the water is that my boat is very quite in no wake zones like the channel where law enforcement is around. i can pass the 86 decibel noise test at havasus main marina no problem. as soon as i get out on to the lake and i open it up and get on plane i am goin so fast that i can't hear how loud the exhaust is anyways. all i hear is the sound of the wind from the front of the boat and the supercharger from the rear of the boat. sounds like a jet airplane flyin thru the sky!!!

Beer-30
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks. Sounds good.