PDA

View Full Version : Boat Accident

Havasu Cig
03-01-2004, 08:09 AM
This is from the OSO board. Everybody be careful this season.:(
One dead, one missing after boat capsizes
By A Sun Staff Writer
Originally published March 1, 2004
A Pasadena man died and a second man was missing yesterday after a high-performance racing boat capsized in the Chesapeake Bay about three miles east of Gibson Island, authorities said.
A witness told authorities that the men were traveling in the 40-foot Tomahawk jet-drive craft at a high speed near the Craig Island Channel about 2:30 p.m. when it became airborne and flipped, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural Resources.
Maryland Natural Resources Police, the U.S. Coast Guard, a dive team from the Anne Arundel County Fire Department and a police helicopter responded and began a search for the two men.
A short time later, dive team members recovered from the partially submerged vessel the body of the person apparently driving the boat, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Matthew Simmons.
Simmons said the victim was strapped in by a safety harness.
The search for the second man was called off at nightfall and will continue early today, Simmons said.
Authorities withheld the names of the men pending notification of family members.

spectras only
03-01-2004, 10:20 AM
It shows you that it doesn't matter what size is your boat .Freaky waves can appear out of nowhere, even in inner harbours.I've experinced that a few times being airborne and luckily landing level . What I don't understand is ,why he wore a safety harness ,beside the kill switch? In case of capsizing there's a better chance for one to escape swimming out if still conscious.Since they have escape hatches on the bottom of offshore cats ,many people survive crashes.

Havasu Cig
03-01-2004, 10:25 AM
In a fully conopied boat you nee to use safety harnesses or else you will impact the canopy in the event of a crash. Similar to riding in a car.
I guess the down side to having a canopied boat for pleasure use is you don't have a safety crew there to pull you from the boat should you be knocked out.
Scott, the owner of DSM, was knocked out when they stuffed the Ettore Extreme during a race. If this happened while you were running alone it could have a very bad outcome.:(

spectras only
03-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Sorry I missed the fact it was a canopied boat , ADD :eek:

Wet Dream
03-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Jet drive...as in pump or turbine engine? Jet drive seems pretty hard for a 40'er.

jackpunx
03-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Wet Dream
Jet drive...as in pump or turbine engine? Jet drive seems pretty hard for a 40'er.
I was thinking the same thing:confused:

Havasu Cig
03-03-2004, 12:06 PM
It was a 40' Skater with Turbines. The owner of the boat owned Integrated Turbine Services. They said the boat was capabable of 170 mph.
They stated that is a full cannopied boat, but I have seen some pictures of the one of their boats and it has partials. I don't know for sure if it was the same boat or not.

fourspeednup
03-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Wow, I read about this skater 40 they did in an 03 powerboat mag. Is this the one you were talking about Cig?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3225its_skater.jpg

Havasu Cig
03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
That's it...On OSO they were talking about a full canopy boat though, so not sure if it the same one or not.

Tom Slick
03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I believe the 40 Skater that crashed was actually a different one then what you show above. The picture of it upside down in the water over on OSO show a different paint job. Most of the people on OSO also mention that it was a full canopy boat, however I too am sceptical of this, because one of the guys in the boat was found strapped in to the cockpit and the other guy is missing. I am curious to see or hear more facts about this accident, because if they were fully enclosed in a canopy, I wonder if it came apart on impact.
Another very sad day for powerboating and a tragic loss.:(