PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Life Jackets

Nubbs
03-01-2004, 09:17 AM
FYI ....... Costco has JOBE neoprene life jackets for $40. I was thinking about picking one up for myself. Are these that great? How tight should they fit out of the water? I've never had to size myself for a jacket before.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-01-2004, 09:28 AM
If you get one, let me know if they are USCG approved. I need a new one, but I hate the Costco in Temecula, it's so dang crowded, I don't go in there unless I absolutely have to.

framer1
03-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Bought two at costco the other day, seem like a good deal. Payed 100.00 plus for O'Brian jacket that looks identical. They are coast guard approved.

Scream
03-01-2004, 09:46 AM
They are USCG Type III approved. Bought some the other day. Cheap at half the price;)

TrojanDan
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
They are very well made. I had a $120 SkiWarm jacket that I just gave away because the foam material slid down the back to the bottom of the jacket, pretty useless now. The Costco jackets have intermediate stitching on the backside of the jacket to keep all the floatation filling where it belongs. Not too shabby for a $40 jacket.
:cool:

Nubbs
03-01-2004, 10:01 AM
How tight should these things fit? How do I know if I got the right size????:confused:

Dr. Eagle
03-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Nubbs
How tight should these things fit? How do I know if I got the right size????:confused:
You need to be able to MAKE them tight. They will float up on you if you can't sinch them down to make them tight.
:D

RandyH
03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
If you keep them tight you can keep the warmth in too. They tend to slide up on you when they are wet. Dont buy them too big IMO.
Sounds like a good buy. Sams has them also in the spring. Ocean Pacific. About he same price.
RandyH

Liberator TJ1984
03-01-2004, 11:08 AM
I got some from Boaters World.. 100mph impact tested, USCG approved class III for $ 60 ea. made by... On The Edge
very comfortable and well made

Dr. Eagle
03-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Liberator TJ1984
I got some from Boaters World.. 100mph impact tested, USCG approved class III for $ 60 ea. made by... On The Edge
very comfortable and well made
I am going to have to go check at Boaters World. Sounds cool...:D

Kilrtoy
03-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Not tight, But very snug
Does that help
I have 2 love them.....

Dr. Eagle
03-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Not tight, But very snug
Does that help
I have 2 love them.....
Ed Zachary, snug enough you can cinch em down in you end up in the agua.

Liberator TJ1984
03-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Eagle, they had quite a few color schemes w/ 3 Buckles and front zipper..had mine for 2 yrs.now and still look new ...and I by no means "baby" them..most of the time used for ass cusions on the bank or thrown up into a sponson where stored...worth a look anyways;) several others have bought them once they saw mine

Chase
03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
My wife and some friends have these type of jackets bought from Costco. They love them. I feel that the jackets should be snug, but not tight enough that you are restricted in them.
These jackets seem to float the person very well, and are comfortable. I am just waiting to get mine.

MudPumper
03-01-2004, 05:59 PM
If you are into skiing and wakeboarding, nothing beats a neoprene. Should be very snug but not restrict your breathing.

Nubbs
03-02-2004, 07:39 PM
I bought me a jacket today. Here's a pic. It's USCG approved type III, whatever that means. Not bad for $39.99.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/361jacket-med.jpg

j-rod
03-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Nubbs
I bought me a jacket today. Here's a pic. It's USCG approved type III, whatever that means. Not bad for $39.99.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/361jacket-med.jpg
All mine are from Costco a good inVESTment!! ;)

GottaJet
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
What sizes are they available in?(costco) :D

j-rod
03-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by GottaJet
When I went they had s, m, l, and xl. I got like 3 xl & 3l(adult sizes) depends on your luck ! happy shopping & boating

Nubbs
03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by GottaJet
Small 32"-36" chest
Medium 36"-40" chest
Large 40-44
XL 44-48
XXL 48-52
I got a large. I saw all sizes except the XXL. As you can see, I got the jacket with red sides. They also had blue, grey, and yellow sides.

HCS
03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
This is what I wear went I ski.
http://www.jimbuoy.com/images/product/marine/lpso-1-so-2.jpg
It's the best shit.

redneckgirl
03-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Do they have youth/kids vests? Thanks
RNG :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Do they have any other colors? Red doesn't match any of my bathing suits!!http://home.mchsi.com/~angieknoll/neener.gif

Nubbs
03-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
Do they have youth/kids vests? Thanks
RNG :)
If you mean Costco, yes. However, I didn't pay attention to the kids sizes. I think the kids vests were only $30.

Boatcop
03-03-2004, 02:37 PM
It's USCG approved type III, whatever that means.
Ever wonder what all those tags attached to every Personal Floatation Device say? Yeah, they're a pain, and usually get torn/ cut off and thrown away as soon as you take it out of the package.
Take a few minutes and read the tags. Many may think of PFDs as a necessary evil, and would just as soon do without them, but the damn thing may just save your life some day.
Kind of like my body armor. I don't like wearing it. It's hot. It restricts movement. It makes me look wierd.
But you can bet your last damn dollar that I know what it does, know how it protects me, and know what it DOESN'T protect me against. I found that out by reading all the pesky little tags that came with it.
But most importantly, I WEAR IT!
I may never need it, but the alternative just isn't all that desireable.

Jungle Boy
03-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I seen a boating show on TV and they asked several boaters at the dock they were filming at "Where are your life jackets?". Most were under that seat or that seat or stuffed up under the bow of the boat. They then did a test with some guys. They asked them to jump in the water and try to put a life jacket on while in the water. It was pretty funny watching these guys try to put one on and do it up. Bottom line is; wear them. We always do and have taken flack from a few buddies, but still wear them. I've been tossed out a few times and the water we travel on tends not to be very deep. The only time last year I didn't wear one (no shit), was in a friends boat and we nailed the bank and flipped the boat. I ended up with 6 broke ribs. I know that the jacket would have acted as a flack jacket and I may have gotten off alot better than I did. The excuse for not wearing any that day; He says how can you drown in a foot of water and didn't have any in his boat.

BOBALOO
03-03-2004, 02:49 PM
One thing about the Costco vests you may not have noticed is that they usually have only one color in each size. For instance, all the larges might be yellow xl might be red or whatever.
If I remember right they also have kids sizes.
Goin to costco = mucho spendo!

redneckgirl
03-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey Boatcop.
I was looking at the picture of the vest what do you think about the straps. I was wanting to get a neoprene vest for our 10 year old son for his b-day next week. Our kids always wear their vest, do you recommend the Jobe vest from Costco or should we spend more money for a different vest. With our kids we will not cut corners (cost) it is not worth it. Thank you for your reply. ;)
RNG

boatlessd
03-04-2004, 01:01 AM
bought 2 from costco 3 years ago (they are solid black) and they have worked great. Look at sports chalet/sportsmart , the were $100+