PDA

View Full Version : I hate the DMV

Scream
03-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Obviously this comes as no suprise, but haveing to try to deal with the Ca DMV is a fate worse than death.
Vent mode on:
Situation: I purchased a new boat and trailer from an Arizona Company. Kachina 26' with a Randall VIP Trailer. Love both. The Boat is registered in AZ and the trailer will (eventually) be registered in CA. Two weeks ago I called the DMV to ask some questions and get some information that is not available on the website. I got an english speaking guy that seemed to know what he was talking about.
"You need to take your trailer to a CHP office and have it inspected, then bring the paperwork to the DMV and get it registered". So I called the local CHP. They told me that if the TRAILER weighed over 6000lbs then they would be the inspection point, but under that it's up to the CHP. So, I try to call back.
1 Frigen phone number for the largest and most populous state in the union and it's been busy for 4 stinking days...Buz Buz Buz...Bastards. Who ever thought of that system needs a new job, and not anywhere that affects me.
I finally got through after speed dialing about 100 times this morning. I waited on hold for about 20 minutes and got an operator that didn't really speak English, I think her usual tounge was Mandarin, but definately not English. I unloaded my frustration on her and gave her a 5 minute dissortation on the who's and why's of the one phone number idiology. She stammered and stuttered and told me that her kids aren't getting art classes any more and that the basket ball program at her son's school has been discontinued temporarily until the budget crisis is resolved.."please vote for 58 and 59" she says( 57 and 58 she meant)...Honey, if it'll get me through the horseshit of having to spend several days calling an unfortunately necessary government agency for needed info, then I'll vote on anything...
I finally get out of this fellow Californian (PC) that I need to visit my local office, pick up some forms, get a temporary registration, take my boat/trailer to the local CHP for inspection or DMV, whoever wants it, make yet another appointment and visit DMV again to take care of the whole thing once and for all...I didn't want to make this my life's work for crying out loud, I just want to register my new boat trailer so I don't get a ticket while traveling.
Bastards!
Vent mode off.

welk2party
03-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I have to go soon. :yuk: :mad: :yuk:

Jetdriver
03-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Go sign up with AAA and they will take care of it for you right there and you can get away from the Dept. of Major Vaginas!

Hemiroid
03-02-2004, 10:06 AM
THE AAA CAN HANDEL ABOUT 90 PERCENT OF NORMAL DMV TRANSACTIONS,,,,
I USUALLY WAIT ABOUT 5 MINS:D

totenhosen
03-02-2004, 10:07 AM
that sucks! I would like to see AAA handle more of the DMV services.
I also think the DMV needs to be privatized slowly over time. Big drain on our resources especially when the job can be done with better service for cheaper!

AzDon
03-02-2004, 10:24 AM
When I lived in Ca, I did my transactions at the auto club (AAA)... Almost no waiting and treated me like a customer! The other option is to use DMV offices in Needles or Blythe, but they are a bit understaffed also, so be prepared to wait in line for a half hour. Also, DMV counterpeople tell you that something can't be done if they don't personally know how!

Hermosa
03-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Can AAA take care of drivers license renewal? I just looked at mine, and I need a new one in a few weeks.

Mike67rs
03-02-2004, 10:44 AM
It sounds like the inspection is for a Vin Verification. Your local agency may do it for you, and may even come out to your house to di it. It may be worth a call. Check DMV's site for the Vin Verification form, and it may save you a trip to DMV...

Dr. Eagle
03-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Mike67rs
It sounds like the inspection is for a Vin Verification. Your local agency may do it for you, and may even come out to your house to di it. It may be worth a call. Check DMV's site for the Vin Verification form, and it may save you a trip to DMV...
Yeah, any time you bring in a trailer from out of state (I have done that twice) they verify the VIN on the trailer is the same as the title. That is all, takes about two seconds. Sometimes you can have a Sworn Peace Officer (CHP or SO or PD) verify it for you.

little rowe boat
03-02-2004, 10:52 AM
I just went a week ago,make an appointment and you can be in and out in no time.

Scream
03-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Do you people realize that you have provided me with about 100 times more information in this limited thread than the fine employees at the DMV have already...
I'm going to look into downloading the vin verification form and having it verified. I've got a few friends in law enforcement, I'm sure they can help me.
I don't think AAA can handle this type of thing. I also have a personalized License plate for the trailer that is ready (A SKREAM) and according to the "experts" on the DMV phone center, that'll take another appointment...
Jeez...at thier schedule I should be ready to pull my boat to water in 2005...

Mrs. Restless22
03-02-2004, 11:09 AM
I work at AAA up in Norcal, they can do most of these transactions for the boat registration. Each AAA office has different capabilities, so you would want to call your local office and find out. If you have a friend in law enforcement, you can have them sign off on the trailer.
I do know they cant handle drivers license renewals.
Hope this helps...:D

Scream
03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks Ms. Restless
I don't mean any disrespect to you and yours, but the one number thing for the entire state is a failure at this point. IMHO anyway. Almost as bad as the "automated email response system" You should see how it handled my complaint about the phone center business...LOL
Thanks for the tip.

eliminatedsprinter
03-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Obviously this comes as no suprise, but haveing to try to deal with the Ca DMV is a fate worse than death.
Vent mode on:
Situation: I purchased a new boat and trailer from an Arizona Company. Kachina 26' with a Randall VIP Trailer. Love both. The Boat is registered in AZ and the trailer will (eventually) be registered in CA. Two weeks ago I called the DMV to ask some questions and get some information that is not available on the website. I got an english speaking guy that seemed to know what he was talking about.
"You need to take your trailer to a CHP office and have it inspected, then bring the paperwork to the DMV and get it registered". So I called the local CHP. They told me that if the TRAILER weighed over 6000lbs then they would be the inspection point, but under that it's up to the CHP. So, I try to call back.
1 Frigen phone number for the largest and most populous state in the union and it's been busy for 4 stinking days...Buz Buz Buz...Bastards. Who ever thought of that system needs a new job, and not anywhere that affects me.
I finally got through after speed dialing about 100 times this morning. I waited on hold for about 20 minutes and got an operator that didn't really speak English, I think her usual tounge was Mandarin, but definately not English. I unloaded my frustration on her and gave her a 5 minute dissortation on the who's and why's of the one phone number idiology. She stammered and stuttered and told me that her kids aren't getting art classes any more and that the basket ball program at her son's school has been discontinued temporarily until the budget crisis is resolved.."please vote for 58 and 59" she says( 57 and 58 she meant)...Honey, if it'll get me through the horseshit of having to spend several days calling an unfortunately necessary government agency for needed info, then I'll vote on anything...
I finally get out of this fellow Californian (PC) that I need to visit my local office, pick up some forms, get a temporary registration, take my boat/trailer to the local CHP for inspection or DMV, whoever wants it, make yet another appointment and visit DMV again to take care of the whole thing once and for all...I didn't want to make this my life's work for crying out loud, I just want to register my new boat trailer so I don't get a ticket while traveling.
Bastards!
Vent mode off.
Just think, the Dems want people like that to be in charge of our heath care.:eek!:

ROZ
03-02-2004, 01:06 PM
For the procedures AAA can take care of, I use them.. For stuff only the DMV can do, I lie and say I have an appointment.. They give me a pass for the next avail window.... The have no way or have time to check your if your appiontment is valid... I'm usually in and out withim 15mins... Works like a charm every time :D

AdrenelineOD
03-02-2004, 01:07 PM
I just swapt vins and plates for my new(very old) out of state truck. Screw them every time I do what they say its something else so thats that!!!!:cool:

1stepcloser
03-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Most auto dealerships have a person in their business office that handles all DMV transactions, they are also able to do VIN verifications, if by chance you know someone who works in a dealership.

Kachina26
03-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I just went to DMV in Needles and got it handled in 15 minutes.

Laveyman
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
A hint for you guys needing VIN Verifications...ANY Peace Officer can do them, not just the CHP(Which stands for Can't Handle Policework). If you ask you local peace officer who is also a memebr of this board, it usually gets done without all the BS Hassles! ;)

Scream
03-02-2004, 03:12 PM
The local AAA said they could help, and I've got a few friends behind the badge as it were, so I could be ok. The Auto Club guy thought it was pretty funny that I got through on the 3rd or 4 DAY on the DMV phone line...What a hose...
You have to know that all those poor bastards that get stuck on the phone go into the DMV pissed off to the point of needing an application to work for the USPS...(LOL)

ROZ
03-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Laveyman
A hint for you guys needing VIN Verifications...ANY Peace Officer can do them, not just the CHP(Which stands for Can't Handle Policework). If you ask you local peace officer who is also a memebr of this board, it usually gets done without all the BS Hassles! ;)
Can't Handle Paperwork....ROTFLMAO!!! :D
And about them BS hassles... Locol boardmember LEO http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy34.gif

Drunk tank
03-02-2004, 03:25 PM
cost me a whopping 32 bucks to register my boat and my trailer... oh... did I mention it took me longer to walk from the parking lot to the DMV and back then it took me in the office? It's not a very big lot either :D :p

Picklefork
03-02-2004, 03:42 PM
So how's your blood pressure when you have a real problem Scream?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
For the procedures AAA can take care of, I use them.. For stuff only the DMV can do, I lie and say I have an appointment.. They give me a pass for the next avail window.... The have no way or have time to check your if your appiontment is valid... I'm usually in and out withim 15mins... Works like a charm every time :D
I use this trick also! :D

Scream
03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Picklefork
So how's your blood pressure when you have a real problem Scream?
LOL...I must sound like a biotch. Sorry,
I'm usually the calm one, the one who makes the wife and daughters stop fighting, the cat and dog get along and all of my 50 employees think they're getting paid well (ha!).
It just flicked my nip a bit.

JetBoatRich
03-02-2004, 04:16 PM
I went to the DMV today, what a pain. All I needed was a copy of my driving record for my new job :p
Get in one line to get a number so they can send you to a window. It took over an hour to get my number called:mad: I was at the window less than 2 minutes:o
Not sure how their number system works (it really doesn't) but it has a lot to be desired:rolleyes: