PDA

View Full Version : Gun ban upheld, gun show loop hole closed

carbonmarine
03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
This is bullshit.....
I like guns, guns like me... M16's & 45's help our country stay alive.....
** Who ever can name that band, I'll buy a cold one for...
Rick 32:cool:

Froggystyle
03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
DI, "Guns"
Froggy"punkfromwayback"style

Outnumbered
03-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
This is bullshit.....
Rick 32:cool:
More details. Is this a Cali thing?

carbonmarine
03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Rogue Froggy,
Classic, I thought nobody would get that one..... good job ! Pays to be a winner....
I'll buy a case & big bottle of bombay gin in trade for one of your Phuc'ing hats..?
Rick32:cool:

Froggystyle
03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Deal!!
(Anything for Bombay...)
If you haven't registered on www.tridentboats.com yet, do so and give me your address and size and I will get you some shwag out. Plus, we have another update letter going out this week so you will catch it if you register now.
(Shameless plug...)

Ducatista
03-02-2004, 02:46 PM
There is a little write up on you're new deck boat in the new Powerboat Mag I just got in. Looks pretty neat...dual jet drive and a hydraulic front lift I think I read....something different from the norm, which I like.

carbonmarine
03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Hey, I registered ! ...nice site.....
Rick32
:cool:

Froggystyle
03-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks Rick...
Expect mail... :D

LASERRAY
03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
This is bullshit.....
Rick 32:cool: I'm assuming the 10 year old assult weapon ban gained an extension today? What did you expect? Honest, law abiding gun owners like myself will never be able to own certain firearms thanks to the Democratic party. Finestein ( that ****) and the rest of these idiots can't seem to realize that only law abiding people abide by the law, and these un-constitutional gun laws only hurt the good gunowners such as myself. Criminals can get any firearm of their choice, illegally! This is why my AK-47, SKS, militerized Mini-14 w/ pistol grip and folding stock, (all registered and purchased legally I might add) will remain in my gunsafe and probably never see the light of day again, (unless needed of course) for fear of their confiscation. I don't think this country will ever again favor the law abiding gun owner IMO. The lawmakers just don't have enough common sense. :frown:

77charger
03-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Reread it again.Looks like this will be the last vote for the year on any new gun legislation.I guess my AR15 will become a preban soon
.WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans scuttled an election-year bill to immunize the gun industry from lawsuits Tuesday after Democrats amended it to extend an assault weapons ban and require background checks on all buyers at private gun shows.
The National Rifle Association began pressuring senators to vote against the bill after Democrats won votes on the two key gun control measures. The 90-8 vote against the bill virtually ends any chance for gun legislation to make it through Congress this year.
“I now believe it is so dramatically wounded that I would urge my colleagues to vote against it,” said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, the sponsor of the gunmaker immunity bill.
Democrats won close votes on their amendments to change the Republican legislation, a strategy aimed at pressuring the GOP-dominated House to accept the restrictions to gain passage of the gun maker-immunity bill.
While Democrats won’t get the gun ban extension and the gun show legislation, they called the vote a success. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said, “The immunity bill was a terrible bill. We’re better off at the end of the day than we were at the beginning of the day.”
Underlining the importance of the day to Democrats, presidential contenders John Kerry of Massachusetts and John Edwards of North Carolina broke away from the campaign trail to cast their first Senate votes of the year, joining the 52-47 majority on the assault weapons ban and the 53-46 majority on the gun show bill.
A dozen Republican senators voted for one or both of the provisions, allowing minority Democrats to gain the victories.
“This is sensible gun safety legislation,” said Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I. “Now the question is, will the Republicans in the House, and Democrats, be allowed to vote on this?”
Holdup in the House
Republican House leaders, including Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas, have said they don’t plan on voting on an assault weapons ban extension. But the gunmaker-immunity package has been a priority of the White House, the National Rifle Association and conservative groups who say the gun industry is being sued out of existence for making a legal product.
“It is really time that we say that enough is enough,” said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, the sponsor of the gunmaker-immunity bill. “It is the individual who is responsible for the crime, not someone else.”
“Once again we’re in a political season, and once again we’re debating gun ownership,” Craig added.
President Bush has called for the Senate to drop the Democratic amendments — despite saying earlier that he supported both — to ensure the lawsuit immunity bill moved quickly through Congress.
“The president is a strong supporter of stopping frivolous lawsuits and stopping lawsuit abuse. That’s the context in which he views this legislation,” spokesman Scott McClellan said. “Some are simply more interested in undermining that piece of legislation than they are in necessarily getting the other legislation passed.”
The assault weapons measure would renew the ban on the manufacture and importation of at least 19 types of common military-style assault weapons for 10 years. The current ban expires on Sept. 13.
The “gun show loophole” measure would require all buyers at private gun shows to go through a government background check. Under current law, unlicensed gun dealers at private shows are not required to ask for government background checks before selling weapons.

Havasu Hangin'
03-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Shit...Robert's using punctuation?

77charger
03-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Shit...Robert's using punctuation? No its copy and paste:D :D
Now go back and make them round holes square.:D

Havasu Hangin'
03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
No its copy and paste
Oh...I thought maybe someone got ahold of your login.
But if I make em square...no one will hear them?

LASERRAY
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
Reread it again.Looks like this will be the last vote for the year on any new gun legislation.I guess my AR15 will become a preban soon
.WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans scuttled an election-year bill to immunize the gun industry from lawsuits Tuesday after Democrats amended it to extend an assault weapons ban and require background checks on all buyers at private gun shows.
The National Rifle Association began pressuring senators to vote against the bill after Democrats won votes on the two key gun control measures. The 90-8 vote against the bill virtually ends any chance for gun legislation to make it through Congress this year.
“I now believe it is so dramatically wounded that I would urge my colleagues to vote against it,” said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, the sponsor of the gunmaker immunity bill.
Democrats won close votes on their amendments to change the Republican legislation, a strategy aimed at pressuring the GOP-dominated House to accept the restrictions to gain passage of the gun maker-immunity bill.
While Democrats won’t get the gun ban extension and the gun show legislation, they called the vote a success. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said, “The immunity bill was a terrible bill. We’re better off at the end of the day than we were at the beginning of the day.”
Underlining the importance of the day to Democrats, presidential contenders John Kerry of Massachusetts and John Edwards of North Carolina broke away from the campaign trail to cast their first Senate votes of the year, joining the 52-47 majority on the assault weapons ban and the 53-46 majority on the gun show bill.
A dozen Republican senators voted for one or both of the provisions, allowing minority Democrats to gain the victories.
“This is sensible gun safety legislation,” said Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I. “Now the question is, will the Republicans in the House, and Democrats, be allowed to vote on this?”
Holdup in the House
Republican House leaders, including Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas, have said they don’t plan on voting on an assault weapons ban extension. But the gunmaker-immunity package has been a priority of the White House, the National Rifle Association and conservative groups who say the gun industry is being sued out of existence for making a legal product.
“It is really time that we say that enough is enough,” said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, the sponsor of the gunmaker-immunity bill. “It is the individual who is responsible for the crime, not someone else.”
“Once again we’re in a political season, and once again we’re debating gun ownership,” Craig added.
President Bush has called for the Senate to drop the Democratic amendments — despite saying earlier that he supported both — to ensure the lawsuit immunity bill moved quickly through Congress.
“The president is a strong supporter of stopping frivolous lawsuits and stopping lawsuit abuse. That’s the context in which he views this legislation,” spokesman Scott McClellan said. “Some are simply more interested in undermining that piece of legislation than they are in necessarily getting the other legislation passed.”
The assault weapons measure would renew the ban on the manufacture and importation of at least 19 types of common military-style assault weapons for 10 years. The current ban expires on Sept. 13.
The “gun show loophole” measure would require all buyers at private gun shows to go through a government background check. Under current law, unlicensed gun dealers at private shows are not required to ask for government background checks before selling weapons.
Thanks for the post 77! I was able to watch the story on Brokaw tonight and am glad the NRA voted against the 2 amendments that the democrats were trying to add to the ban. As I said in an earlier post, No common sense.
:frown: :frown:

Dr. Eagle
03-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Thanks for the post 77! I was able to watch the story on Brokaw tonight and am glad the NRA voted against the 2 amendments that the democrats were trying to add to the ban. As I said in an earlier post, No common sense.
No shizzle, people don't kill people, guns kill people. Kind of like SUV causes fatal accident....
Where TF is common sense anyway...?????:confused:

LASERRAY
03-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
No shizzle, people don't kill people, guns kill people. Kind of like SUV causes fatal accident....
Where TF is common sense anyway...?????:confused: Oh Yea! Common Sense doesn't apply to politicians, or School teachers, or Administrators.:cool:

Boozer
03-02-2004, 10:02 PM
You guys should really leave cali if you want to have gun rights.
Here we can buy any gun we want just about, even guns deemed as destructive devices you just have to pay a $200 ATF tax.
I can walk into the gun store with cash in hand and walk out 15 minutes later with a .45 and boxes of amm in hand. Concealed weapons permits are now easy to come by, they even advertise the classes in bar bathrooms here the ad says "CARRY A GUN!"
Make your country proud! Get the hell out of California and a buy a big ass assult rifle.

LASERRAY
03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
You guys should really leave cali if you want to have gun rights.
Here we can buy any gun we want just about, even guns deemed as destructive devices you just have to pay a $200 ATF tax.
I can walk into the gun store with cash in hand and walk out 15 minutes later with a .45 and boxes of amm in hand. Concealed weapons permits are now easy to come by, they even advertise the classes in bar bathrooms here the ad says "CARRY A GUN!"
Make your country proud! Get the hell out of California and a buy a big ass assult rifle. Trust me, It's on my "to do" list. I'll hold on to my goldmine that i'm living in ( bought for $290,000 in 2000, just appraised at $460,000!) I'll chill for a few more years, and when I'm rich, I'm outta here! I'l go to either AZ, Col, or Id. :cool:

Boozer
03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I heard you guys even have a holding period for long rifles there now.
Last time I was out there we took my buddies 45 and went shooting. When i went to wal mart to buy ammo they made sign a waver and told me if i needed anymore ammo to keep in mind u cant buy it after 9pm. WTF! Out here i walk into wal mart, hand over the cash, and walk out with my bullets.

LASERRAY
03-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Last time I was out there we took my buddies 45 and went shooting. When i went to wal mart to buy ammo they made sign a waver and told me if i needed anymore ammo to keep in mind u cant buy it after 9pm. WTF! Out here i walk into wal mart, hand over the cash, and walk out with my bullets.
The last gun I bought was a FFL transfer through a dealer and he held the gun for 10 days. That was back in 1997 and the gun was a Ruger mini-14, police special, folding stock, pistol grip. Now considered pre-ban.:frown: I don't know about now but I've gone to the local gun shows and they are void of any sort of semi-auto assult rifle, other then the SKS which is a Curio Relic. It's a real bummer.:frown:

Mandelon
03-03-2004, 12:26 AM
http://www.skoopy.com/show2.php?id=400&type=VID
Good guns!

Hotcrusader76
03-03-2004, 12:52 AM
In CA many prefer to hand over the bullets and walk out with the cash:D

burbanite
03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
This topic has been the focus of my attention since it started last week. Some of you may remember my posts from a few weeks ago warning of this coming before the Senate and the need to call your Congress critters.
The NRA did not vote on anything, only members of the Senate can vote.
This bill (S.1805) was specifically to stop the frivolous law suits against gun manufacturers, it was a good bill. The anti gun crowd chose to attach amendments to it such as the extension of the AWB and we saw several (up until then) opponents of the AWB jump ship and vote to include it on the bill.
Senator Larry Craig was the driving force behind most of it, he constantly made a mockery of the anti's statistics on gun violence and their lies.
The President had said that for that bill to reach his desk it must be clean, the amendments saw to it that it was anything but. Because of those amendments Larry Craig changed direction and convinced his supporting Senators to vote to kill the bill, the NRA had sent messages to the reps PDA's asking them to do this in light of what transpired.
The bill was killed 90-8. The affect of this is that unless someone decides to bring the AWB to the House as a standalone bill it will now most likely sunset on 9/13/04 - that is a win. Personally, I cannot see any of these "fine" people risking that before a general election.
That is not to say that they will not try to attach it to another bill but the tone has been set and a message sent.
I, along with many, many other supporters of the 2nd Amendment have been writing our officials for months, that turned to emails and this last week, especially yesterday we called DC constantly. It is a shame to have lost the original bill but plans are already afoot to reintroduce it, it is already drawn up, this time I think the anti's will think twice about trying to **** with it.
Vigilance is important though, if the AWB does indeed sunset in September it may lead to even tougher legislation being introduced down the line.
For now, it appears that what has been a complete and utter farce may come to an end, proving once and for all that it was a waste of time in the first place.
Time to look for a "properly" priced AR.