PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Tuning / Smoothing Out

carbonmarine
03-04-2004, 07:07 AM
Hey who knows about smoothing out the bottom of your boats,,, who does it, how much does it cost - is it done per foot .. ?
special paints, coating ?
speak up ....
Rick32:cool:

spectratoad
03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
I was afraid to open this with that subject title but I feel better now.
Not sure but I could use that info too.

OGShocker
03-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
Hey who knows about smoothing out the bottom of your boats,,, who does it, how much does it cost - is it done per foot .. ?
special paints, coating ?
speak up ....
Rick32:cool:
Try finding the guys at PAT's fiberglass someone in here will have the info on them. I hear they are the best around. Buddy of mine has a 22' Howard Offshore and is talking about having the bumps and hook taken out of his bottom. (that sounds bad)
Good luck

Tom Brown
03-04-2004, 08:14 AM
There are products like SpeedCoat that claim to improve speed if used on drives and bottoms. Rex has that stuff.
Blueprinting a hull is a big job. I did mine myself, didn't notice any difference but I only run in the 70s. It took hundreds of hours. I would hate to think how much you would have to pay someone to do a good job of it. It would probably make more of a difference if you're running in the tripple digits or if your hull isn't very straight.
Have you put a 6' level against your keel and strakes to check for straightness?

carbonmarine
03-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Sunsations hull is very, very, straight & sharp - However nothings ever perfect....
** Its the beaching & scraps from running over shit in the ocean I want to smooth out ....
Rick32

OGShocker
03-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
There are products like SpeedCoat that claim to improve speed if used on drives and bottoms. Rex has that stuff.
Did you see it in the Rex Catalog?:D Sorry Mike.

Flashwave
03-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Having gone down this road may times with many products I can tell you a clean bottom will run just as fast as one that has SpeedCoat on it. I've tried them all. None did anything for my speed. The placibo effect is in full force. You know, it must be faster because someone tell's me it's faster with a bottom coating.
Blue printing the bottom can help. It's expensive if done correctly. It's not just a matter of hook. It has to do with lift and friction. The less wetted surface, the less drag and the faster you'll go. Don't expect huge gains. 1 or 2 mph for $3-5,000 worth of work.
Just something to think about before plunking down your hard earned money. A quick fix for speed is props. Generally there is more MPH for the buck in props than any other work you do on your boat.:)
Jim