PDA

View Full Version : Virus Stuff

***boat
03-04-2004, 05:01 PM
It happens about every 5 months, someone on the ***boat forums gets infected with a mass mailing virus that sends to everyone in your inbox from someone else. That means that conceivably if you were infected and had a friend named Bob in your address book you could be sending everyone virus's from Bob's email address.
I would suggest that everyone scan their computers for virus's as it is almost defiantly someone in these forums who is infected. If you need a very good free scan go here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
***boat WILL NEVER SEND YOU AN EMAIL WITH A FILE ATTACHED. IF YOU GET AN EMAIL FROM US, EVEN IF IT IS FROM A LEGIT EMAIL ADDRESS AND IT HAS AN ATTACHMENT DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY.
As an example I just got this message from staff@***boat.com.
"Dear user of ***boat.com,
Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content) outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by a proxy-relay Trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe, follow the instructions.
For details see the attach.
Cheers,
The ***boat.com team http://www.***boat.com"
This is a trick, do not open any emails with this type of wording.

Kachina26
03-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Thankyou:D

HCS
03-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Damn, I hate those what about Bobs?:eek:

Hotcrusader76
03-04-2004, 11:21 PM
TPC just lost all their hard drives over the past weekend to a virus. I utilize some of the best protection money can buy but that didn't work either. It corrupted my back-up discs as well as the hard drives themselves.
Well long story short it's going to cost well over $2k to recover the lost info. Meanwhile... this weekend will be paper input weekend. What a ****ing joke this has been.

91nordic29
03-05-2004, 07:10 AM
our whole office has had one problem or another this week. i dont understand these people.!

Bense468
03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Make sure you update your dats and block attachments containg zip's from your firewalls for the time being. Once this is taken care of you can unblock those zip attachments

Screaming Pete
03-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Yes, I got that one yesterday I deleted it from the inbox and then the deleted files and ran norton anti. and i'm ok. thanks for the heads up :)

goeasy8
03-07-2004, 10:12 AM
I get them all the time, I use AVG virus scan. Catches them all the time.

Flying Tiger
03-12-2004, 08:32 PM
I rarely send e mails.
I often get "UNDELIVERABLE MAILERDEAMON" emails in my inbox.
They're bogus because I don't send any to begin with. I think my last one was to Boatcop some months ago.
I suspect it's someone sending a virus. It's a clever way to do it because you naturally want to see what didn't send and open it up.
Maybe I'm wrong,, but beware.

bob briley
03-14-2004, 01:56 PM
its not me

***boat
03-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Looks like the virus's have subsided for now.

gigamurph
03-14-2004, 08:57 PM
I think I found the virus! it's Bense 468's avatar! She sure as h**l makes me itch! Dude! Keep spreadin' that around!:D
If that is someone near and dear to you; no disrespect meant! She simply looks great and I don't like for greatness to go unnoticed!:p :D

Dr. Eagle
03-14-2004, 09:08 PM
I use Trend Microvirus PCcillin. It is made by the same folks that do the Housecall (the link in the Admins post). It updates itself and keeps everything current. I have never (knock on wood) had a virus problem with this product. I have been using it for the last 4 years now through the I love you virus, and the XP virus... it has always worked. Unlike some of the others I have used over the years I might add.

FMluvswater
03-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Just over 3 hours ago my AVG ran it's daily scheduled check and found nothing. About a half hour ago a CD-ROM game I was playing crashed twice. I wasn't sure what was up but decided to try all my nifty lil fix it programs. I ran Ad-Aware and dumped some stuff. Grabbed an update file from AVG started AVG again. Turned off system restore too (I hate hangers-on those damned programs/viruses/spam that refuse to be completely removed). Ran Stinger while AVG was running. AVG detected Downloader.dyfica virus and shortly after so did stinger. I have no idea where this virus came from as I haven't opened any e-mails since last night. :confused: I haven't downloaded anything since well before the first AVG scan. What I'd like to know is exactly how to avoid this virus in the future so if anyone knows how I might have inadvertently let it into my system please tell me. I don't want to repeat the same mistake whatever it was. Thanks. :(

Bense468
03-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Trendmicro makes a good product.