PDA

View Full Version : Mod# & Ser# Question???

Hal
03-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Is there a site out there that I can put a Name, Mod# and Ser# to find out when a boat was manufactured? I know you can usually find it in the Ser#, but it does'nt add up to what the guy is telling me. Thanks for any help. Hal

572Daytona
03-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I found this on the web:
What is a Hull Identification Number?:
An HIN is a unique number assigned to every boat. You assign this number. Here's how.
A HIN looks like this:
ABC12345L495 So, what does it all mean? The ABC is your MIC.
The next five characters can be anything you want to assign. It can be 12345, or 00001, or 0000A, or 32001. Whatever you want to put in there except: O, I or Q. These characters look too much like zeros or ones. Some manufacturers use a sort of code in this area. For instance, if they build a 30 footer and this is the first one then they would use 30001. Others just assign consecutive numbers, 00001, 00002, 00003, etc.
The ninth character identifies the month when the boat was certified (or built, I will explain this later) as shown in the chart below. So if it's built in May the ninth character would be an E..
It works like this:
A: January G: July
B: February H: August
C: March I: September (yes it's an I, but it's ok)
D: April J: October
E: May K: November
F: June L: December
The tenth character is last digit of the year when the boat was certified (or built), for example if the year is 1997, then the tenth character would be a 7, or if it is the year 2000, it would be a zero.
The last two characters are the model year. You can assign any model year you want but it's smarter to make it pretty close to the year the boat was built. Most manufacturers start their model year in August, but some use June or July. It's up to you. However don't say the boat was built in 1997 and it's a model year 1999 or 2000. Every time someone tries to register that boat, alarms will go off all over the place. Then cops will come around and start asking nosy questions. Also the owner will have a difficult time insuring the boat. The agent will suspect some sort of fraud if the model year is significantly different from the year built. USE COMMON SENSE!

Jordy
03-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
However don't say the boat was built in 1997 and it's a model year 1999 or 2000. Every time someone tries to register that boat, alarms will go off all over the place.
I guess that doesn't work in reverse because Kachina has been building '05's for a year now.... :rolleyes: :D

Hal
03-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks 572Daytona. The ser# on this boat is DVN 16541E910.
I guess it is a 99. He's got 1997 on his for sale sign.???

GlastronGuy
03-07-2004, 07:17 AM
That info is available on the USCG site but the link hardly ever works.