PDA

View Full Version : Dimesional/laminated shingles

Stupid Fast
03-07-2004, 04:50 AM
Does anybody have a clue as to how long they have been available, how long they have been widely used?
I am thinking mid 90's is when I first saw them.
The reason I ask is because I am looking at a property that there is now history available, and I am trying to figure out how old the roof is. It looks good. No curling yet.
Thanks
EMC

Mandelon
03-07-2004, 09:13 AM
They are available in 25, 30 and 40 year lifespans. That time would be reduced if it was laid over another roof instead of just the felt paper. That is due to heat buildup. So check to see how many roofs are on it already. Law says 3 layers is max.
I think late 80s to early 90's is about right too for the age.

Stupid Fast
03-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks.
Around here, 2 layers is max. This roof only has one layer. I am guessing it is less than 10 years old so I am hoping to get at lest 10 years out of it.
The fact that there is NO curling is reassuring, but I wish I knew exactly when it was put on.
Emc

Mandelon
03-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Did you ask the seller? If it was recent they should know. Some municipalites also require a permit, so maybe there would be a record at the city...??? Good luck.

RJ Nordic
03-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Check with the city, they should have had a permit pulled to install the roof. Tri lams were starting to be used in the mid 90's around here.

Stupid Fast
03-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Did you ask the seller? If it was recent they should know. Some municipalites also require a permit, so maybe there would be a record at the city...??? Good luck.
It is a forclosure. The only info I have is material left in the house.
Permit???? This is Ohio, Not California. No one gives a shit if you put on a new roof.
The records that I have show the house was sold in 92. New Hvac in 94, Public water and sewer in 93 Hot water tank in 94. New windows in 93. Sold in 99. Forclosed on in 01. Bank assumed in 02. Sitting ever since.
I am hoping that the buyer in 92 had the roof done but the previous owner may have done it to sell also.
The house was built in 1978.
After your input I am guessing 92-99. With a probability of 93-95
It is truly amazing what can be learned at HOT BOAT
:D :D
Thanks
Eric