PDA

View Full Version : Atkins/low carb what a joke?

bigq
03-08-2004, 08:44 AM
So I'm at the store yesterday and see "Carb select" Mayonaise, WTF....mayonaise never had any carbs in it.:confused:
Seemed like everywhere you turned was "Atkins approved" food, low carb this, low carb that. Reminds me when we had the lowfat craze and all the low fat food that was now full of sugar.
I am a little concerned that people are just going to eat themselves fat without any knowledge of how the diet works and it will turn into a joke diet, not to mention all the substituted ingredients for the sugars.
I have never read the Atkins book, but have read many others on the lower carb/sugar with high protein books. I have been eating this way for almost 4 years now with no help whatsoever from special low carb food.
It is a shame because I believe that is the way our bodies are suppose to be fueled and would benefit us greatly if it was our preferred way of eating, but without all the substitution food.:rolleyes:

Froggystyle
03-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Like I said a hundred times... anything with "Atkins" on it is a scam. It is just lower carbs, sometimes, than the options. They are not zero carbs. A lot of times they file it under net carbs, and that is just as bad in my opinion.
You don't see an "Atkins approved" on the three porterhouses I bought yesterday, or the flat of eggs or my new bacon with no carbs. Not on the chicken wings and hot sauce or chicken fajitas (no tortillas of course) I have been living on for the last week. That is what I eat.
You can cram the bars, shakes and other crap as far as I am concerned.

spectratoad
03-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I am doing the Atkins diet and I guess I call it that because I am sort of following the books guidlines. It has done well for me so far but I do totally agree with you. The best thing to do is just learn about the foods you eat and do what is the healthiest and read the labels.
It is funny to see things that have always been the same, mayo for example, and they put some low carb label on it and charge double.
I get a kick out of those companies and they usually lose my business for any other products they may carry. If they are only trying to rip me off with deceptive information then they don't need my money.
That is how I feel about weight watchers & Jenny Craig. May be healthy food but the cost is just a rip off.
It all comes down to just educating yourself.
;)

Danhercules
03-08-2004, 09:23 AM
The "Atkins" diet is nothing special. It dose work and is healthy. If you look years back, like hunderd years back, what did man eat?
Meat, vegies, eggs. None of this prossesed crap.
I know too may people who do the "Atkins" diet and do it sooo wrong. READ THE BOOK. I read it, and it works great and makes sence. I dont know about other books but I have not read them. I just dont do it cause I like my beer.
Thas all I have to say about that.

BonnevilleBaby
03-08-2004, 10:00 AM
I still believe that the real key to successful weight loss and to KEEPING it off is eat in moderation, eat till your satisfied not till you're full, and a regular exercise program..

bigq
03-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by BonnevilleBaby
I still believe that the real key to successful weight loss and to KEEPING it off is eat in moderation, eat till your satisfied not till you're full, and a regular exercise program..
True, but their is more to than just the weight loss, at least to me. You need to be concerned with what the food does to your body when it uses it. I have known people you would think be healthy and they have high blood pressure or other health issues, so for me I was interested in more than weight loss.

PHX ATC
03-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Just eat man, eat.:D

RiverToysJas
03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
http://www.hospitalityguild.com/Images/Cartoon1/cartoon_fat_restaurant.jpg
RTJas :D