PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Cobra?

Mandelon
03-08-2004, 04:16 PM
I read so much negative press on this forum about Cobra. It was never really clear whether it was deserved or not. All I know about them is what I have read here and in ***boat. I did see them at the LA Show, and seen a few in the channel.
What would you say about them and their quality?

rivercrazy
03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
From what I've seen their quality has done nothing but go up-hill the last few years. From what I've seen, they look like pretty nice rides.

summerlove
03-08-2004, 04:50 PM
HB Mag gave them pretty good reviews last time out. Indicated improved quality....

shockwavebd
03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
From what I've seen their quality has done nothing but go up-hill the last few years. From what I've seen, they look like pretty nice rides.
I would agree with david...;)

Desert Rat
03-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Would I buy one....Yes! Now whether I can afford one or not is anouther story :frown:

roln 20s
03-08-2004, 09:38 PM
It appears that they are definately good quality--I do have to say that I like their cat, and it definately seems to perform well. Everyone has had GREAT reviews for it. I think they are doing their homework.
Roln 20s

Salty Cracker
03-09-2004, 05:07 AM
My buddy has a 2003 23' and he loves it, he's been a lifetime ***boat owner and he says the fit and finish are outstanding, plus he raves about the customer service...

OGShocker
03-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Are you selling the Hot Tub????
We looked at Cobra. They put out a good product. Jeff and most of his people are nice enough.
We bought what we bought because we felt we got much more bang for the buck.
My .02

rivercrazy
03-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by shockwavebd
I would agree with david...;)
But I still wouldn't buy a Cobra over a Shockwave! ;) :D

mirvin
03-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Mandelon, I've seen that 23' up close and it's a very nice piece;) What have you learned about them?
mirvin

TPI
03-10-2004, 06:54 AM
They seem tbe a good buy, and the Cat runs well too.

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 09:19 AM
I guess I'll come clean. The Mrs is not too happy with the jet boat and wants to move up to something bigger. There are a few boats that fill the bill but I'm not too anxious to drop $50K on a new Ultra or Lavey. I may, but thought I'd see what was out there pre-owned first. The Hot Tub will eventually be replaced. Probably towards the end of the year. I"ve got an equity line I can use to buy if something turns up.
The 24 stealth, 24 NuERa or maybe a 21 XTSki are what I'm looking at. I saw a decent looking Cobra for sale for the low $40's and just wondered about them too. The issue is the back to back seats that we want for wakeboarding. Not too many boats over 21 have them.....

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 09:43 AM
How about something like this dealio?
http://www.danaboats.com/Images/gallery/23%20with%20tower.jpg

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 10:22 AM
I have indeed looked at the Danas, and would definitely consider it. I heard that the Dana 23 hull is the old Ultra 21 SX hull, with some length added on the bow. Don't know if its true or not. Not saying that's bad, either. They do look good.
I like the rear facing seats, the Big 496 as the standard motor, etc. I am still just pondering the $49,900 price. I'm pretty sure I can get somewhere between $25K to $30K for the Carrera.
I have a piece of property due to close in September, at that point I will have a bunch of $$$$ to put into some toys and a river pad. I am not in any hurry, but will definitely be doing something.
I am not looking forward to being worried about every little scratch and of being paranoid about the kids getting sand in the boat etc. like I would be with a brand new boat. So I was thinking pre-owned as opposed to new. I was hoping to keep the bill under $45,000 and honestly rather be at $35,000 instead.
I don't have to have the shiniest or the fastest boat. It needs to be cool enough and fill my family's desires. But I'd rather not have payments and instead own my stuff outright, than flaunt my shit to the rest of the world. I hope that makes sense.
Here's the Cobra I found in the Trader. Page: http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/59982172.htm
And a pic....
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749708/59982172_3.jpg
It doesn't have back to back seats, but there is room for them to be added.
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749708/59982172_5.jpg

Salty Cracker
03-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Just a thought, but that only has a 6.2 with a bravo three (dual Prop), I can almost gurantee the seller is going for more power...my buddy has that boat with the 496ho and he LOVES IT!!!!

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I have indeed looked at the Danas, and would definitely consider it. I heard that the Dana 23 hull is the old Ultra 21 SX hull, with some length added on the bow. Don't know if its true or not. Not saying that's bad, either. They do look good.
Absolutely NOT TRUE!:mad:
The 23’ Dana came from the original 22’ Dana. Dana has not and will NEVER splash anyone’s mold. These rumors get started by people who either do not know their asses from page eight or those that stand to benefit from talking down their competitors. Splashing is one of the worst charges one manufacturer could make against another. Those that make claims such as those made against Tom and Dana Performance Boat are POS as far as I am concerned and only confirm there standing in the real boating community. If you want to know how a Boat Builder is perceived ask their vendors. That my friends is telling.
Thank you Mandelon for letting me make that clear. I hope you don’t feel like a bullet-riddled messenger. ;) I am just trying to stop Tom from busting a cap... :D

Hermosa
03-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Absolutely NOT TRUE!:mad:
The 23’ Dana came from the original 22’ Dana. Dana has not and will NEVER splash anyone’s mold. These rumors get started by people who either do not know their asses from page eight or those that stand to benefit from talking down their competitors. Splashing is one of the worst charges one manufacturer could make against another. Those that make claims such as those made against Tom and Dana Performance Boat are POS as far as I am concerned and only confirm there standing in the real boating community. If you want to know how a Boat Builder is perceived ask their vendors. That my friends is telling.
Thank you Mandelon for letting me make that clear. I hope you don’t feel like a bullet-riddled messenger. ;) I am just trying to stop Tom from busting a cap... :D
OG, chill brutha, it's ok, Mandelon was just stating what he heard, no damage intended i'm sure.

Hermosa
03-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Check out the Renegade 23' boat also, a lot of boat for the money.

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Hermosa
Check out the Renegade 23' boat also, a lot of boat for the money.
That is ONE NICE hull... Looks just like this one.... http://www.danaboats.com/Images/gallery/23%20purple%20&%20yellow0001.jpg
OG, chill brutha, it's ok, Mandelon was just stating what he heard, no damage intended i'm sure.
I think Mandelon is a great poster. I am sure he is a great guy and look forward to us flagging each other down for beers at the lake. I was not attacking him I was thanking him! We both know the person that told him the BS about Dana. I have met this person. I would not wipe the guy off the bottom of my shoe. It is not my place to tell anyone the details of Mandelons and my conversation.
If I was unclear in my last post. Thank you Mandelon. Sorry if it seemed like I was dumping on you. I was NOT.
Now with that BS out of the way... Let's go to the river!

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
No offense taken. I understood what you meant. I qualified my statement as only what I had heard, not a fact.
I will be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a boat that fits the families needs. I also know my next boat will not necessarily be my last boat....our needs will change with time, as will our financial position.
I'll keep asking questions too, cuz I know I'll get honest answers here.
Ya think I'll find another before MMD finds his? :D :D

dr. margarita
03-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Dude! What happened to the wife's request for a BIG windshield?:D I stand by my original suggestion to you...Nordic 25 Rage. I think you would get a great preowned one within your budget. One things for sure....when the water gets rough...you'll be comfortable and safe. It's also nice to have the manufacturer in the same town you're boating in! Keep us posted!

dr. margarita
03-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Ya think I'll find another before MMD finds his? :D :D
Ouch!:D :D :D hey Magic, when are you bustin loose with some scratch? It's time!

Mandelon
03-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by dr. margarita
Hey Dude! What happened to the wife's request for a BIG windshield?:D I stand by my original suggestion to you...Nordic 25 Rage. I think you would get a great preowned one within your budget. One things for sure....when the water gets rough...you'll be comfortable and safe. It's also nice to have the manufacturer in the same town you're boating in! Keep us posted!
I check on my daily boat trader search but nothing good so far. Pretty pricey too. I got her to pretty much give in on the windshield if we went bigger than 21. :D

mirvin
03-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Mandelon, have you seen this listing?
23'Dana on a tri-axel trailer frenched- in lights,chrome fenders.502 w/XR drive.Very fast and stable, perfect condition less then 20 hrs on engine,polished hardware.Sony Stereo.Garage kept!!!
$ 49,900.00 OBO
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/view.cfm?ad=647&title=2001%20Dana%2023
mirvin

Ivan Dan
03-11-2004, 12:07 AM
This boat is a friend of mines and is VERY clean. This hull handles the rough stuff very well for a 23' V bottom.
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/images/647_1.jpg

dr. margarita
03-11-2004, 08:13 AM
I check on my daily boat trader search but nothing good so far. Pretty pricey too. I got her to pretty much give in on the windshield if we went bigger than 21. :D
You may also want to contact Bill at "The Boat Broaker" in Lake Havasu City. He seems to have some good deals on Nordics. I gotta tell ya dude...23's are too small when the water gets jacked up. Hope you make it a point to test ride whatever your interested in...test with Wifey during a Saturday afternoon on Thompson Bay...you'll get the full picture!

Mandelon
03-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Good point. I met Bill at the LA boat show and have been checking their website.
Isn't 25 kinda big for wakeboarding behind? Keep in mind we've got two little kids who like to spends most of their time behind the boat on a tube or board....

rivercrazy
03-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Actually for wakeboarding a 25 would be a great choice assuming you like a decent sized wake. Just make sure you get some decent sized trim tabs

shockwavebd
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
But I still wouldn't buy a Cobra over a Shockwave! ;) :D
OH YOU THINK...................;)

BOBALOO
03-11-2004, 10:10 PM
If you are lookin for a new boat that meets your needs check out the 24' Essex Valor. it is a walk thru open bow with alot of seating and great looks (unlike their tempest). The gelcoat on their boats looked better than most and the people there are very helpful, I would be too for the money they get for new boats.
Get what you want but want what you get.
http://www.essexboats.com/valor/back.jpg

boatnam2
03-12-2004, 04:51 AM
mandelon i pull my kids all day long on tubes and wakeboards behind our 2750.

Hermosa
03-12-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm not an Essex fan, but that 24' Valor looks nice, worth a look.

dr. margarita
03-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Isn't 25 kinda big for wakeboarding behind?
You are welcome to go for a ride in our Bullet and check out the wake for yourself. You gonna be in Havasu the last weekend in March? I'll be staying at the Nautical Thursday through Sunday.:cool:

roln 20s
03-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Dr Marg- you and the fam going the last weekend? hummm....
Roln 20s

Mandelon
03-12-2004, 06:31 PM
We'll be there first week in April, I think. I know that Bullet is out of my price range. I could...but I won't. :D

dr. margarita
03-12-2004, 07:30 PM
We'll be there first week in April, I think. I know that Bullet is out of my price range. I could...but I won't. :D
I wasn't suggesting you buy one, just offering a test ride in a 25, hopefully in rough water.
Roln 20's, I'll be there with either my son or daughter, not the whole family. You know your welcome anytime for a ride!!!.

Mandelon
03-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Its a damn beautiful boat that's for sure. I even dig GT's badass bass boat!!!! LOL

dr. margarita
03-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I even dig GT's badass bass boat!!!! LOL
I can't wait to see the pics he posts hoisting a big striper. We may have to chip in and get him one of those B.A.S.S. vests with all the patches on it!

TPI
03-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by dr. margarita
I can't wait to see the pics he posts hoisting a big striper. We may have to chip in and get him one of those B.A.S.S. vests with all the patches on it!
Hey now, easy on the BASS jokes. I still am on the hunt for the perfect fishfinder. But, I dont want to hi jack this post, yes I would buy a Cobra, they seem to be a pretty nice boat.

dr. margarita
03-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by GT
I still am on the hunt for the perfect fishfinder
Call my close friend Jeff Taibi at Bass World West (this is not a joke) in Santa Ana, CA. Drop my name and he will set you up with the best. Some minimal in dash unit by Lowrance should do just find. They even make portable units. Just pull it out of a storage compartment, drop the transducer in the water and "hook-up"!

mtndewdrops
03-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Mandelon,
I have been extremely happy with my 99' Essex 21' Sterling. I bought it last year with 180 hrs for $33K. I looked at Cheetah's, LaveyCrafts, and Cobras. I think Essex produces one of the best built boats around. I have the 350 Mag with Bravo III. The ride is very nice and it looks more like a 23'.
Next time you see me in the channel, we can go for a cruise.:)

Ziggy
03-15-2004, 06:52 PM
Mandy,
Your always welcome to ride in my 23' to see if its ride is worthy of the wife and kids.....thats what it really boils down to anyhow, right? Like you, I came from a 20.5' jet into this new 23 I/O...it was a world of difference in ride quality, not to large to feel bulky in the coves when skiing, more room to play with mama, a lot more room for the kids and wakeboards fit underneath in the ski locker, all the important things. I went from tweaking ankles having to climb over all kinds of crap to not knowing what to do with all the space.
Starting in April I should be in Havasu fairly regularly again.