PDA

View Full Version : Blower or fi

Cr80rbRider
09-18-2001, 07:16 PM
Whats going to make more hp and sound louder using a pump gas. Blower with carbs, or blown and injected? Thanks

boatnam2
09-18-2001, 08:28 PM
if you want noise just leave the belt on the blower a little loose it will sound like the motor is turning about 12000 rpm.

boatnam2
09-18-2001, 08:42 PM
just kidding i had a 871 littlefield carburated and it would make as much power as you want.all the noise came from the belt and the carbs sucking in all that air.

superdave013
09-18-2001, 08:46 PM
Well, when I started racing Blown Gas Flatbottom I have a big block with a 6-71 and two 750's. It was cool. Then my next engine had a bigger blower turned up to kill with a huge roller cam and an Enderly Injector hat. That thing was so wicked! Nothing like it. It did sound twice as nasty at idle and the throttle response was unbelievable!

ponponracing
09-19-2001, 06:52 PM
For racing, go injected, that works. For pleasure, go carbs: more usable. Cold starting is very fun with a bidcatcher.

ponponracing
09-19-2001, 06:55 PM
By the way, the wistling noise from a blower comes from the gears inside the blower itself. You can have the same result by using timing gears instead of timing chain or timing belt.

ponponracing
09-19-2001, 06:56 PM
Sorry: birdcatcher, not bidcatcher...

superdave013
09-19-2001, 08:50 PM
ponponracing, My Donivan gear drive is pretty quiet. And I ran my Bird on the river for years. Just give that baby a big squirt and your good to go. Bit I agree, for the ave. guy carbs are better. I just liked changing one pill instead of eight jets!

boatnam2
09-20-2001, 07:33 AM
my littlefeild blower was pretty quiet.the gears do make a certain noise,but i could always tell when my belt neede adjustment because once it became a little loose she would really whine.

ponponracing
09-20-2001, 01:43 PM
When you have a small boat, it's fun to use constant flow injection. When well tuned, injection outpass any carburation. I don't know what kind of a boat Cr80rbRider has. May be a 50 footer with 4 800ci motors...Can you imagine the guy pouring fuel in each birdcatcher?
Thank's for the info on the noisy bower belt needing adjustement.
Superdave, you can buy noisy or quiet version with some timing gears brand (Summer Bros.????) I'm not sure about which brand.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
09-20-2001, 06:30 PM
You want nasty......I am sure my latest motor will make your DICK drop off. I am the guy with the 632ci motor forsale. I am now running a all aluminum 705ci motor with a 14:71 and running a HUGE shotgun style fuel injector ON ALCOHOL. I am running Rewarder Zoomies. Hey pon whats up bud.....I came up with an awsome way to to prime the injector without even getting off your ass. Anytime I need to start mine I never even leave my seat. Email me and I will tell ya how...your gonna love this. Don't want to give out ALL my secrets!!!!! ANYONE WANT A 632ci motor? email me...BLOWNDRAGBOAT@YAHOO.COM

Cr80rbRider
09-20-2001, 07:16 PM
Hey guys... Thanks for all the replys.... They helped!! I've decided to probably go with a enderle hat. BLOWNDRAGBOAT, you got any pics of your engine? Sounds like its pretty awesome and i would like to see it. Thanks, Later

superdave013
09-20-2001, 09:05 PM
ponponracing, Stay away from those nosiy gear drives! The pete jackson, summers brothers and the like. If the have two idler gears you don't want to run them. Only run a gear drive that has a fixed idler gear. That is very inportant. The others have two idler gears and they are kinda flopping around in there. One gear gets pushed away from the cam and crank gears but the other one gets pulled in. This puts load on the main and cam bearings. That's a bad deal.
Blowndragboat, That sounds like a couple of monsters you have there. We have been using auto primers for injector hats for years. Lost of ways to do it and it's pretty simple if someone was to just think about it for a little bit. Sounds like you just need to switch over to a PSI or a big Whipple and you'll have the best of everything. I know you run a jet, but what knid of hull are you running? It must leave the gate pretty freaking hard!

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
09-25-2001, 07:50 AM
I am running a 19ft daytona. To prime the engine, I have a little 1/2 gallon Stainless steel tank that I put alcohol in and run a seperate fuel pump off of. I have it plummed into the barrel into the barrel valve and all I do is hit the switch and crank it. Once it fires I switch it off and the main pump picks it up from there. It works great. I tried using a window washer type of system but the alcohol eats the plastic after awhile. I use about 8 oz's of alcohol to prime it and start it so 1/2 gallon goes along ways. PEACE!!!!!

SVO 540
10-09-2001, 02:38 PM
Another option you have is to go with an EFI system that uses a birdcatcher to control the air flow. This is what I did on my blown and injected Ford. There is nothing better looking that a birdcatcher sitting on top of a 1471 supercharger. I will try to send some photos. Originally posted by Cr80rbRider:
Hey guys... Thanks for all the replys.... They helped!! I've decided to probably go with a enderle hat. BLOWNDRAGBOAT, you got any pics of your engine? Sounds like its pretty awesome and i would like to see it. Thanks, Later

superdave013
10-09-2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by SVO 540:
Another option you have is to go with an EFI system that uses a birdcatcher to control the air flow. This is what I did on my blown and injected Ford. There is nothing better looking that a birdcatcher sitting on top of a 1471 supercharger. I will try to send some photos.
SVO, what system did you use to convert your bird?
Oh a bird on an 8-71 does not look too bad. And when you put eight nitrous express nossels in between the two it's even better!
HTTP://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/jpn1.jpg
Sold the boat but still have the engine!

SVO 540
10-10-2001, 07:50 AM
Superdave, The conversion was done by GT Performance. They had IMCO modify the back of the hat with two fittings for the fuel. A feed and return line. The spray bars are inside the hat.
How did you post that picture? I would like to put up a pic.
Your motor looks bad to the bone.

superdave013
10-10-2001, 08:53 AM
I talked to Gary about doing that to mine already. It was to much money for me right now so i went with my turbo charger set-up. If you ever have your hat off for any reason could you send me some pics of it. I would like to take a look at it. Was your system hard to map out?
To post a pic you need to put it up on a web site some place. Then you can click on the edit button on my post. You can't change it but you will be able to see the code.

SVO 540
10-10-2001, 09:11 AM
GT Performance does alot of EFI stuff with their quad roter wipple motors. The mapping for these motors was almost right on the money for my motor. The motor was tuned on the dyno in one day, they expected it may take two. Then they only had to make a few minor changes with the lap top out at the lake.

nitro557
10-10-2001, 11:09 AM
dave how come your not running down ports if you put a nitro valve on it and down ports tuneing is way easy to power up or down certian cylinders also how bad is you oil dilution we used to have to change the oil after warm up then after a pass i could never think of lake boating a blown alch motor also what percentage are you running the blower i used to run a 557 kb wath a 1471 hihelix at 70percent over talk about makeing noise that thing would suck birds out of the sky, ps is this the superdave ?you ran flats then went to fuel hydros in the early 90s

superdave013
10-10-2001, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by nitro557:
dave how come your not running down ports if you put a nitro valve on it and down ports tuneing is way easy to power up or down certian cylinders also how bad is you oil dilution we used to have to change the oil after warm up then after a pass i could never think of lake boating a blown alch motor also what percentage are you running the blower i used to run a 557 kb wath a 1471 hihelix at 70percent over talk about makeing noise that thing would suck birds out of the sky, ps is this the superdave ?you ran flats then went to fuel hydros in the early 90s
Why no down ports? Well it's not an alky deal. I ran the blower at 30 over and that was quite a lot for a gas deal. On gas the blowers get so hot that the fuel helps cool them some what. Some down nossels would have helped with the tuning i guess but I never seemed to ave any cyld. leaner than the others. I am not the superdave that you are thinking about. I raced blown Gas Flatbottom at the NJBA way back when. My last race was in '97. That engine was only 461" and I was not the major hitter back then. Most guys were running 540"+ with PSI type of blowers. I did get it running 8.0's @ 127MPH with out breaking parts often. So at the river it did pretty well. I never made a pass at the track with the nitrous but let me tell you, it picked up tons with the nitrous. I broke the Lenco making passes at Lake Smellsomemore doing that! I did get fuel in the oil some but nothing like an alky deal that was turned up like you ran. It was a very fun lake boat as far as flatbottoms go. It only had a 4.5 gal fuel tank so I didn't go far! I could idle from buckskin to the roadrunner and back and that was about it.