PDA

View Full Version : military vehicles

sleekster
03-09-2004, 04:46 AM
any body have any experience buying a surplus military vehicle? specifically a pick-up found a couple of places that have 1 1/4 ton chevy's early 1980's 6.2 litre diesels 4x4 dana 60 rear dana 44 frt
4:56 etc. around 4-8 thousand.

spectratoad
03-09-2004, 09:14 AM
I am in the Army. I can get one for you but you don't tell anyone where you got it.:D

Jordy
03-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sleekster
any body have any experience buying a surplus military vehicle? specifically a pick-up found a couple of places that have 1 1/4 ton chevy's early 1980's 6.2 litre diesels 4x4 dana 60 rear dana 44 frt
4:56 etc. around 4-8 thousand.
The downfall on those will be the dog of a 6.2 diesel. Banks made a kit for them that added a turbo and really brought them to life (as much as a 6.2 can be brought to life). $8K seems a bit on the high side, even for a 1 1/4 ton truck. Guess it all depends what you want to do with it.

HOSS
03-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Pick up a copy of 4-Wheel. They did a write up on those. The axles are a bit tricky. Everything for the driveline is military only. Very few aftermarket pieces. I thought of the same thing Before I saw the article. I just wanted the 60`s for my Jeep. Basically it ain`t worth it. Too many headaches and aftermarket units are now stronger and cheaper in the evn short route.
When I was in the Army we had the Chevys and they were dogs. We also had some of the Dodges left and believe it or not they were brutal. The bodies were paper but the trucks didn`t quit. We had one in motor pool that we ran without oil to get rid of it. The bitch wouldn`t die!
Beware of govt auctions. People think they are getting a deal because its a govt auction. Nothing is further from the truth. Most of the time if the govt doesn`t want it its totally ****ed. Not to mention how many newbies tried to fix it.

Scream
03-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by HOSS
We had one in motor pool that we ran without oil to get rid of it. The bitch wouldn`t die!
Beware of govt auctions. People think they are getting a deal because its a govt auction. Nothing is further from the truth. Most of the time if the govt doesn`t want it its totally ****ed. Not to mention how many newbies tried to fix it.
And that's why you don't buy at a Gubment auction!

HOSS
03-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I don`t think it went to auction but who knows.

Outnumbered
03-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Just remembered this place:
http://www.boyceequipment.com/
They sell the trucks you are looking for and parts too.
OL