PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Crew Cab HD subwoofer boxes.

Bahner tunnel
03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm getting ready get some stereo goodies for my HD and was looking for some ideas for a sub inclosure. Do you guys like the " under the seat" set up , or is behind the seat the ticket. Also what speakers and how many will fit.I would like to run a pair of the Kicker square 10"s , I'll have to double check there depth first. I have the 40/60 bench seat in the rear. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mandelon
03-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Talk to Froggystyle he's got a trick set up. Roz may have some ideas as well.

welk2party
03-09-2004, 04:43 PM
I was just gonna ask the same question. Looking to do my truck soon. I have the extended cab though.

ROZ
03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Talk to Froggystyle he's got a trick set up. Roz may have some ideas as well.
Yup, maybe Froggy froggy will post a couple pics...
You'd be surprised on how much volume you can get by moving your seat foward just 2 inches... Or you could raise the seat, but you loose the folding seat function....
Post up Wes!
Mandelon is about 6ft and seemed comfortable back there....

Bahner tunnel
03-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Back to the top.

HighRoller
03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
JL Audio makes some trick boxes specifically designed for each model. I have a new style GMC with an extended cab and have been eyeballing the twin 10" box setup. Since my seat back is stationary and the bottom part folds up I can't have anything behind the seat.

Speedin' Ian
03-09-2004, 05:49 PM
not to high jack the thread but what kind of options do I have for my 2000 crew cab superduty. I have a set of Rockford 10's and a set JL 12's can I fit either?

welk2party
03-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Any links to the JL Audio boxes.

HighRoller
03-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Go to JL audio's site and click on enclosures, then click on Stealthboxes. You can choose make and model from there and then choose the type of box.

welk2party
03-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Cool deal. Thanks:cool:

Jordy
03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I've got 4 10's behind the seat and it's still in the stock position. Go talk to Adam at Wired for Sound. It's basically the same setup he had in his HD before he went to the 15" L7's in the bed. Oh, and they're roundy rounds because even the L5's in an 8" was too deep to fit.
I've got some pics floating around if anyone is interested.

CA Stu
03-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
JL Audio makes some trick boxes specifically designed for each model. I have a new style GMC with an extended cab and have been eyeballing the twin 10" box setup.
By golly I just put one of them thar JL Audio custom boxes with two downward firing 10"ers in my Quad cab Dodge. Spend the money, you won't regret it.
I'm not much of a fan of rap music, but I was XM channel surfing and happened to hear a song called "Get Low" (I think), and holy eyeball vibrating spinal damage Batman!
That thing can kick me in the kidneys, fer sure.
Cheers
CA Stu

anxious
03-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Fits no problem.
http://socalcustoms.com/Features/LikeaRock/17.jpg
http://www.vinylventures.com

Bahner tunnel
03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
If you have some pictures of your sub/boxes . post them. Thanks.

Froggystyle
03-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Here is a couple of mine. Seat was moved about 2" total, and still folds and tumbles after a lot of modding. Those are 2 deep 12" subs in a fiberglass enclosure.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/speaker_enclosures.jpg

Bahner tunnel
03-10-2004, 06:04 AM
Froggy, did you make the fiberglass enclosure or was it made in a local shop? How much is something similar to that to be made? Also what are the subs of choice these days ?

roln 20s
03-10-2004, 07:43 AM
I have a 95 Chevy extended cab, and I have had the JL Stealthbox under the rear seat for about 4 years. It has two down firing 10 WOs. Its bad ass, one of the best investments I made. I knew an owner of a stereo shop, and paid $500, I believe that the retail/normal sale price is $799. Either way, its a perfect fit, great sound, and the JLs pound.
Froggy and anxious- your setups are bad ass.
Roln 20s

Jordy
03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/22DSC00699-med.JPG
;)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-10-2004, 09:23 AM
the kicker solobarics rock. they require mega power to work correctly though. I have a buddy with 2 -10" in his truck and they hit harder than most 12's. He has like 800 watts going to them though:eek: I do know they require very little air space in a sealed box and would fit under the seat very easily. Be ready to buy a BIG amp if you go with the solobarics. I have heard them without big power and they are not as impressive.
Omega

ROZ
03-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
Be ready to buy a BIG amp if you go with the solobarics. I have heard them without big power and they are not as impressive.
Omega
The Kicker claim is the big bass in a small area...
There are L5's L7's and X's. The L5's play well with as little as 250 watts, but the L7's don't really perform well until you hit atround the 700watt mark.. The Solo X's are a whole nother beast ;)
Froggy's enclosure is comprised of both MDF and fiberglass... He did the work and gave Martin the credit :rolleyes: The cost to have his rack and enclosure is probably in the 800-1k area....

Bahner tunnel
03-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I like the four kickers, I imagine it hits hard;) Thanks for the replies. Would 100watts per sub be enough, or.... I want to get the Kicker 5 channel 40x4 and 200 mono @4 ohms , 80x4 and 400 @2 ohms . Jordy, what amp do you run for the 10"s?

Froggystyle
03-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Bahner tunnel
Froggy, did you make the fiberglass enclosure or was it made in a local shop? How much is something similar to that to be made? Also what are the subs of choice these days ?
Like Roz said, I built these myself for SEMA. It is made of primarily fiberglass, with an MDF back and face for the subs to screw into. The amp rack is mostly wood though, with glass over it and painted to match the truck.
I like Phoenix Gold, and always have, but I also love JL Audio and Infinity for subs. I have heard a set of Kappa subs that I installed in a boat absolutely thunder. In fact, I have installed the Kappa subs in two boats, and one holds the title of the loudest pair of tens I have ever installed.
I think Chris is about right on the price. I have over $400 into materials.

Jordy
03-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Bahner tunnel
Jordy, what amp do you run for the 10"s?
I've got a Kicker 600.1 running the subs and a 600.4 running the separates.
I like when the side mirrors on the truck start shaking if that gives you any idea. :D

BADBLOWN572
03-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Riding in Jordy's truck this weekend I got a nice back massage from the subs! His hits hard and is extremely clean!