PDA

View Full Version : What is the best production boat?

superV
03-10-2004, 12:48 PM
I figure with the new season starting and lots of people looking to get into there 1st boat and coming to the boards for info this might be of help to some who are not ready to get a custom yet.
My short list goes like this!
Formula
Donzi
Cobalt
Celeberty/ Crownline/Chaparrel
Searay 27' and up
fourwinns
ect.
Something like this.
Note: My current boat is a 1994 202BR Crownline with a 350mag runs out 62mph gps and so far im very happy with it. Some of you may know I have owned several boats including eliminators/challenger offshore, ect.And i am just happy with this boat as the rest.

mbrown2
03-10-2004, 12:52 PM
For production speed, I would choose Donzi....for all around cabin or open bow v hull boats, I would choose Chaparrel or Cobalt...my .02

roln 20s
03-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Cobalt- they have my vote. One of the nicest fit and finishes of any production boat. Plus, their price tag shows how they think of their boats. Definately a premium boat.
Roln 20s

superV
03-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
For production speed, I would choose Donzi....for all around cabin or open bow v hull boats, I would choose Chaparrel or Cobalt...my .02
I forgot about Chaparrel I would put them next to a crownline. 20's Cobalt are the shit I would own one over most west coast boats.

Hermosa
03-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Check out Bryant boats, they make a nice hand made family boat, like a Cobalt. This is a nice ride, no wood boat, all gel stripes, classic lines like the Cobalt and a real quality build, not a mass production boat here. When you start to crawl around inside, you really can see the difference. Being that I have owned 3 new Eliminators in the past 12 years, me buying a 21' Bryant was a little out of the norm for me. We wanted a lake style boat for Northern Cal, and it was a different change from the customs we have had, but I wasn't about to settle for a cheap production boat, the Bryant was nice. The best thing to do is look around, inside and out, details can sell a boat, I think when it comes to production style lake boats, the Bryant is second only to Cobalt in my book. I think I get more compliments on the Bryant that I ever got in any of my Eliminators, the fit and finish is perfect on this thing, and I am one picky bastard. Hate to sound like a cheer leader, but they are worth a look at when you want more than a production boat, but don't want a fully blown California Custom. www.bryantboats.com

riverbound
03-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Bayliner:D:D :D
Hopefully some day I will own one;)

chub
03-10-2004, 01:22 PM
My first boat was a 19' fourwinns. Damn good boat, rock solid even in the big pond.

superV
03-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
Im sure Boozer will let his go;)

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
I would have to agree! I might fit more gals on a Bayliner.:D

Scream
03-10-2004, 02:01 PM
I just sold my Sea Ray. It's a nicely done production boat. Not big on color or graphics, but solid as the day is long.
Went to the Phoenix boat show and saw the most beautiful Chris Craft boats. Talk about fit and finish...I looked at a 22' open bow w/ wood gunwales (sp?) and a little "commadore's" flag off the back...Pretty cool for the yacht club set...

sorry dog
03-10-2004, 02:27 PM
In Tom's absence...
I vote Glastron

Ducatista
03-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Cobalt- they have my vote. One of the nicest fit and finishes of any production boat. Plus, their price tag shows how they think of their boats. Definately a premium boat.
Roln 20s Yes Colbalt & Howard are awfully proud of their boats...thats for sure. I believe I saw an add for a new 30+ Colbalt V that looked awfully nice, maybe in the last Powerboat mag, had a nice cockpit layout.

roln 20s
03-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Yes Colbalt & Howard are awfully proud of their boats...thats for sure. I believe I saw an add for a new 30+ Colbalt V that looked awfully nice, maybe in the last Powerboat mag, had a nice cockpit layout.
Don't quote me on this, but I think a new 20-21 foot Cobalt pushes the 40K mark. Thats alot of mulah $$$
Roln 20s

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Don't quote me on this, but I think a new 20-21 foot Cobalt pushes the 40K mark. Thats alot of mulah $$$
Roln 20s
About the same for a 18' Howard?
:D

nodigg
03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
CHEETAH!!!
J/K;)

HighRoller
03-10-2004, 03:18 PM
So I'm guessing that "production" rules out custom boat builders?

OGShocker
03-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
So I'm guessing that "production" rules out custom boat builders?
Uh....yup.

Havasu Cig
03-10-2004, 04:36 PM
From the list above it comes down to Donzi or Formula hands down. Depending on what model you are looking at I could go either way.
The fit and finish on the Formula's is as good as any custom I have seen. They are also offering incentive programs that are hard to beat if you are financing.
You are going to pay a higher price with either of these brands though than the others, but you get what you pay for.;)

EricU
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
****!
Go for the Schiada right off the bat!
And make sure it has a blower on it.
Eric.

superV
03-11-2004, 05:51 AM
FYI, Im not looking to buy any of these boats was just looking to provide some info for newbies looking:D

Seadog
03-11-2004, 06:14 AM
While I have family working for Cobalt, I would go with Bryant. Cobalt makes great boats and I love it when they push the design envelope, but Bryant puts more of a personal touch to their boats.

Sandbar Mike
03-11-2004, 06:30 AM
By far I think Baja is the best production boat available. 24' h2x and the outlaw series are good boats.

Chase
03-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Ok folks, in my opinion there are alot of awesome production boats out there, and which one is best is so much up to what the person wants and/or needs out of thier boat.
My list of favorites is like this for bow riders, since that is the type of boat I need:
#1 Campion...since that is what I ride. This boat met my requirements, has awesome fit and finish and in my opinion is sweet to look at...Great bang for the buck...Manufactured in Canada
#2 Sea Ray....awsome fit and finish & over all quality/performance
#3 Cobalt...I don't know too much about them, just that they are quite pricy, they don't make a boat to fit my size requirements...overall they look like an incredible unit
#4 BAJA....again great performers...more for the ones looking for just speed
#5 all others like Chapparal, Rinker, Larson...and if you are into this type of requirements we can't overlook the Malibu's, Tiges, Nautiques...
Like I said before everyone will have a diffrent opinion and this is due to diffrent needs, budgets, requirements, and location of that manufacturers dealerships.
I still think Campion is an awsome product that I bet 96% of the people on this board have not seen a Campion boat nor heard of them...

OGShocker
03-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Chase
I still think Campion is an awsome product that I bet 96% of the people on this board have not seen a Campion boat nor heard of them...
I could have but, you would not take me boating on my last trip to Saskatoon. ;)
-13C...LOL! It will be +30C here today!

Chase
03-11-2004, 08:31 AM
OG I want you to e-mail me that picture that is in your signature right now, I need a print of that one.
I will gladly take you for a ride in my Campion when you are here next time. I should have the skis removed from the boat trailer by then.
Remember there is a cool beer for you in my boat...
Not right now though since it would be frozen...:D :D