PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke break-in

Outnumbered
03-10-2004, 04:41 PM
I've owned lots of bikes but never a new one. Just bought my daughter a 2004 Bombardier DS90 and it says in the manual to run 2 tanks of pre-mix for the break in. Does not specify if that is in addition to the oil injection. I would assume so but seems it would run very rich and foul the plug. The dealer wasn't much help.
Any input?
Thanks,
OL

LakesOnly
03-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
I've owned lots of bikes but never a new one. Just bought my daughter a 2004 Bombardier DS90 and it says in the manual to run 2 tanks of pre-mix for the break in. Does not specify if that is in addition to the oil injection. I would assume so but seems it would run very rich and foul the plug. The dealer wasn't much help.
Any input?
Thanks,
OL
O'Lavey,
make sure there is injector oil in the oil injection system's reservoir tank as it should have.
What the manual is specifying is that in addition to the injection system, run pre-mix in the fuel tank for the first two tank fulls of running time.
This is because the engine is new and potentially tight, and they want alll the moving parts to break in easily and without too much heat and other potentially resulting damage in the new engine.
I doubt this is going to foul your plug, but so what if you do? Better a fouled plug than a seized motor.
Ad the pre-mix to the tank in addition to the injector system's oiling.
LO

Dr. Eagle
03-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well I'm not expert, but I'll take a stab at it..
I believe it's in addition to the oil injection. I think they are trying to get the most lubrication possible out of the fuel while the parts are still "tight."
RD
RD is right. It is in addition to the injection oil. They do the same thing on 2 stroke jet skis.
:D

Outnumbered
03-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of this before so just thought I would get a second opinion. I'll keep a few extra plugs when we go out just in case.
OL

HOSS
03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Bombadier bought out OMC. The FICHT lives? Run the oil injection only. **** the manual. To be honest, I`d say screw the oil injection and disconnect it. Run pre mix always. When I worked for an OMC dealer we didn`t use VRO unless customer distinctly requested it.

Cs19
03-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Oil injection systems are getting pretty good now, but i always ran block off plates too.
Just do a 60:1 or something for your premix and fill the oil tank too. Make sure the oil you use is okay for pre-mix and injection too. Ive ran stuff that couldnt be injected before.

Outnumbered
03-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the help. I ended up running 50:1 thru the tank on top of the oil injection. It smoked pretty bad at times but never fouled. She ran thru a tank and a half and had a sore thumb at the end of the day. FYI, Lucerne dry lake is a perfect place for the kids to learn.
Here's my 8 yr old tearing it up her first time out:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973riding_3-14-2004_012-med.jpg
Here is her little sis getting ready for an after lunch run with mom:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973riding_3-14-2004_019-med.jpg

JetBoatRich
03-15-2004, 10:37 PM
very cool, looks like fun.:D