PDA

View Full Version : Whiplle Superchargers

sigepmock
03-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Just thought I'd offer up my time/info to anyone thinking about installing a supercharger on their truck. I installed a Whipple system on my 03 Chevy 2500HD with 6.0L about 6 months ago. Best thing I ever did. I have 18000 plus miles and no problems. It been a learning process and I think back to when I started it would have been nice to have someone to talk to that had already done it. I am by no means an expert but ask away or PM me and I will do my best or put you in contact with someone who is an expert. Thanks.

roln 20s
03-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Did you install it yourself? How long did it really take? Any super special tools that are required? I was told by the Chevy dealer (looking at a new truck) that they install them and they take around 18 hours-sounds like BS to me.
Looks good, glad to hear its trouble free. Hows the towing?
Roln 20s

sigepmock
03-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Did the install myself with the help of two buddies, one who is pretty mechanically inclined the other mostly sat around drinking beer, but it took us all of 18 hrs....But that was because I was extremely cautious and anal. The directions were a little shaky in some places because they were a little generic, covered a couple of year models, I am sure that if I did one again it would take half the time. The only scary part was cutting into the wiring harness that feeds the main computer, about a thousand diffent wires and you had to splice into just the right ones. It wasn't hard just a little nerve racking.
As for the performance......it absolutely kicks ass. It smokes the wifes 03 Mustang GT, its about dead even in a drag race with a Lexus GS430. As for towing, I have a 26 ft Weekend Warrior that is about 12,000 to 13,000 lbs when loaded and it tows like a dream. I get about 10 mpg towing and 14 around town. I guess the best way to describe it is that the truck feels like it's electric... give it gas it goes no matter what gear, what rpm, what speed...it just goes. It starts well, idles well, everything well.
Downsides.....have to run premium fuel 91 or better, a little noisy at idle, and my back tires are wearing out a lot faster.....
Sorry to run on but I am very happy with the truck...Call me if you have more questions it might be faster that way. Hope this helps.
Chris Mock
909-833-8180

sigepmock
03-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Just noticed I spelled Whipple wrong in the subject.......maybe I don't know as much as I thought??????

Raskal
03-12-2004, 06:11 PM
how much did it cost . glad to hear it worked out good for yah

goneboatin
03-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Wow, you must have a light foot. I've got an 04 2500 Quadrasteer crew cab with the anemic 6.0 and I get 13.5 mpg on the road, at the best. I get about 10.5 mpg when I tow; and my boat's only about 4500 lbs on the trailer (22 foot Howard open bow). Having installed the Whipplecharger, did you lose the total lack of low end grunt? Does the trans still need to downshift at any incline? Did you compare the Whipple to the Magnacharger and the Kenne Bell units?

sigepmock
03-15-2004, 12:36 PM
The Whipple cost about $5500 with the programmer. I compared to the Magnacharger and the Kenne Belle, in fact Kenne Bell in located just down the road from me. I talked to those guys but didn't get the best feeling, they acted like their sh&% didn't stink. I know they get some great numbers out of their system but it seemed that the focus was on ET's not towing and reliability. The Magna charger seemed like a good product but it was more expensive at the time and I couldn't find a lot of info on it. THe guys at Whipple have been more than willing to help, I have called them numorous times with dumb questions and they were always willing to help.
GM should sell the 6.0L with the Whipple. I had a 1/2 ton with the 5.3L before this truck and it towed great I just needed the heaveir truck for the new trailer so I got the 2500HD. Needless to say, I was disappointed in the 6.0L. With the supercharger it climbs all the big hills without downshifting. Before I put it on, towing was a pain, the truck was always shifting in and out of overdrive, now it just goes...tons of low end torque.

ao/al2
03-15-2004, 09:54 PM
hey sig,
The sc looks great and im glad to hear that everything is going great, been planning on putting one on my 5.3 sub. Now that I hear all the great things about it I think I just might have to get one. Hey I got one for you .........did you have to switch over the valve covers so that you could add engine oil?( I see that the sc sits over the top)
AL

sigepmock
03-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and runs. Put a set of headers on the truck today and because of the better flow with the headers, exhaust and intake the boost level dropped down below 5psi. Talked to Whipple and looks like I am going to be getting a smaller pully to bring the boost back up to 6.5 or so. Should bring the ponies up without hurting realiability (still under 7PSI).
As for the valve covers, I did have to swap them around and move the dipstick back a little, no big deal but really seemed to confuse the guys a Jiffylube:confused: Last time I took it in to someone to change.
I am running the Whipple programmer, which gets rid of the torque management, it's made by Street and Performance Inc, I think they are also the guys who make the Predator programmer too. They just recently updated the Whipple programmer for me with the latest software and added features so it can read engine codes and they did it for free!! I have had nothing but great service form Whipple and their affiliates. Thanks again.

PerfectionDtail
03-16-2004, 04:27 PM
As for the performance......it absolutely kicks ass. It smokes the wifes 03 Mustang GT, its about dead even in a drag race with a Lexus GS430. As for towing, I have a 26 ft Weekend Warrior that is about 12,000 to 13,000 lbs when loaded and it tows like a dream. I get about 10 mpg towing and 14 around town. I guess the best way to describe it is that the truck feels like it's electric... give it gas it goes no matter what gear, what rpm, what speed...it just goes. It starts well, idles well, everything well.
Chris Mock
909-833-8180 [/B][/QUOTE]
Question: I have the same truck 03 2500HD. It has 20" wheels, air intake, and exhaust. Truck dynoed at 340 HP. When pulling a 26' Weekend warrior (loaded) at 70 MPH, the indash computer shows an average of 5 MPG. Pulling my boat loaded gets about 6 MPG at 70 MPH. If I slow down to 65, I get better mileage by about 1-1.5 MPG, but I want to get where I'm going faster.
The indash computer averages at best 11 MPG in town not towing. I am lucky if I am very soft on the gas to get 13 on the highway.
Are you really getting 10 towing? I was going to get the same truck but a duramax, the only issue is it is $10K more than where I stand now. If your #'s on MPG are correct, I could supercharge it for half the cost and get close to he MPG of the Duramax.
Is your MPG calculations based on the indash computer?
Thanks

sigepmock
03-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't have the in dash computer, my numbers are based on the trip odo and actual gas used. I upsized the tires on the truck so I had to recalibrate the odometer, the newer trucks use the computer to calc the odo not a mechanical one like they used to. Have you recalibrated your truck with the tire/wheel change? that might be why your seeing low numbers but before I got the Whipple I was getting 6mpg towing the weekend warrior back from Glamis, almost had the thing floored all the way home to keep the speed up around 65-70mph. With the Whipple it tows very easy, like the truck isn't working hard at all. I had the same logic on the Duramax cost vs. the supercharger. If I had to do it over I think I might have got the duramax and put the Banks system or the system STV Keith is selling, but I'm not sure. The only down side I have had so far is that if something major goes wrong I'm out of luck with the warranty, so far dealer has been really cool and not made a big deal about the S/C but I know if the tranny goes, it's coming out of my pocket.

sigepmock
03-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Sorry one more thing....
Not dyno'd yet but best guess is somewhere between 400 and 450 HP and 550 to 600ftlb torque. I'd love to get it on the dyno, just haven't met anyone who's got one that won't charge and arm and a leg.

ao/al2
03-18-2004, 10:15 PM
By the way where did you buy it....local?

boxscore
03-19-2004, 07:16 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]
Question: I have the same truck 03 2500HD. It has 20" wheels, air intake, and exhaust. Truck dynoed at 340 HP. When pulling a 26' Weekend warrior (loaded) at 70 MPH, the indash computer shows an average of 5 MPG. Pulling my boat loaded gets about 6 MPG at 70 MPH. If I slow down to 65, I get better mileage by about 1-1.5 MPG, but I want to get where I'm going faster.
The indash computer averages at best 11 MPG in town not towing. I am lucky if I am very soft on the gas to get 13 on the highway.
Are you really getting 10 towing? I was going to get the same truck but a duramax, the only issue is it is $10K more than where I stand now. If your #'s on MPG are correct, I could supercharge it for half the cost and get close to he MPG of the Duramax.
Is your MPG calculations based on the indash computer?
Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]
I complain all the time about the mileage in my 2500hd 6.0. Very similar to your experience getting about 10 overall not towing. I think these guys with higher claims possibly don't have a 4:10 rear end. The 8.1 liter is getting the same mileage or better because they usually come with the 3:73 (?) gears. I'm kicking myself for not getting the 8.1 after hearing the mileage reports. The newer duramax version (LLY?) is really really really the cat's meow.

sigepmock
03-24-2004, 07:27 AM
Sorry for not answering sooner. I bought the SC directly from Whipple. Good thing I did though, this last weekend I went to change the pulley to a smaller one to bring up the boost and found an oil leak on the input shaft. Called Whipple and they are fixing it under warranty, just had to take the compressor off and send it to them, kind of a pain in the ass being without my truck for a few days. The guys at Whipple have been really cool so far, they should get the compressor today and said they would try and get it back out that same day or worst case Thursday. We'll see.
As for the gas milage....I have the 4.10's and with all the questioning went back and double checked. I don't have the on board computer so I just do the math when I fill up. I even double checked my speedometer with my GPS unit to make sure it was correct and it was right on. I am still getting 13 - 14 around town and 10 towing. Might be the K&N, exhaust, etc...that opened up the motor.

blownfear
03-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Hey sig its great to hear about your good fortune with the whippls charger aint it great to smoke a 5.0:D .
Dan