PDA

View Full Version : Brake light switch

AZKC
03-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Whats the secret to getting to the brake light switch under the dash on a 1996 Silverado? Can ya help a brotha out?
Posted in Gear Heads also...

Chase
03-12-2004, 12:36 PM
OK AZ, here is what i am reading from the friendly Hanes service manual, that I have tucked neatly in my desk....
Step 1- Disconnect battery
Step 2- The brake light switch is located at the top of the brake pedal
Step 3- on 88-93 models, to remove the switch , unplug the connector, and pull the switch of the brake pedal
On 1994 and up to remove the switch, unplug the electrical connection, remove the clip and slide the switch and push rod off of the brake pedal, remove the switch from the pushrod....
OK this information didn't help me too much, but I am not standing on my head under the dash looking at what they are talking about.
I hope this helps...and remember sometimes these manuals don't provide the information as required...

AZKC
03-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks Chase, that does shed a little more light on it, but as you said those Haynes manuals can be a bit vague. But it does help thanks again.

Nubbs
03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
This help?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/361brakeswitch.bmp
Remove or Disconnect
Negative battery cable.
Disable SIR.
Retainer from brake pedal pin. Use snap ring pliers.
Switch by unsnapping from pushrod.
Electrical connector from switch.
Install or Connect
Electrical connector into switch.
Switch by snapping it onto pushrod.
Retainer onto brake pedal pin. Use 11mm (7/16 inch) socket to push new clip on pin.
Negative battery cable.
Enable SIR.

Kachina26
03-12-2004, 01:19 PM
As one who has done many, I would advise you to get a new clip. You will mess up the first one you do plus it will help you to see what you are going to be fighting with (mostly by feel) I use a long flatblade screwdriver. The clip is similar to a J clip on carb linkage. Sorry that I can't describe it better, it's just one of those things you learn by doing one. Good luck

AZKC
03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys, I'm helping out a neighbor and as usual it looks like another adventure in wrenching.

AZKC
03-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Well that was interesting, only got my hand stuck twice. Your advice and pic made it much easier. And I do say that is an interesting retaining clip:mad: All good now.
Thanks again :cool:

Scream
03-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by AZKC
Well that was interesting, only got my hand stuck twice.
And that your honor is why I pay to get things done. Someone should invent kevlar palmed gloves for just such an occasion...Maybe I'll do that...make millions, but another new boat, a house on every lake...I can see it now.
I'll be as rich as Al Froman, the sausage King of Chicago...

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Scream
And that your honor is why I pay to get things done.
I bet KC got paid (or at least compensated.... you know... beer) for helping this guy out. :D