PDA

View Full Version : Almost 50K on the 2500 HD GMC Impressions

Flying Tiger
03-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I'll be turning over the 50.000 mile mark this summer on my 8.1 Allison 4x4 GMC Crewcab.
Only problems in that 50 K miles, and the the dealer fixed 1 in a few minutes:
1. Hard cold starting turned out to be a fuel system pressure valve.
2. A corroded battery harness that was kinda of a hassle. Aluminum cable. I'll take copper anyday.
Not bad,, it's been a great truck, plenty of power, very reliable, great air conditioning and quiet cab.
I bought it new 2 years ago, and the price on them has gone up astronomically since. I make good money and it was a stretch, and I don't see how the young families today afford them.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun42/PB100047.sized.jpg
13.2 MPG not towing. Not bad really, all things considered.

LOWRIVER2
03-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Just turned 36k on my 01 2500HD Sierra. Everythings been great except for the f!!#*%g OEM Firestone Steeltex tire that blew out tonight with plenty of tread left. The tread completely separted from the sidewall and tore up the left rear quarter panel. I'm gonna check with Firestone today, will probably be listed on the long list of folks with those bad tires. My bad for not dumping them sooner. Now it's a lift and new tires/wheels for sure.

bigq
03-13-2004, 07:41 AM
I just love pictures like that, even with the GMC.:)

HighRoller
03-13-2004, 10:29 AM
I just heard yesterday that the SteelTex tires on the Ford Excursion are on the bad list, so even if you don't have a Ford, check with a Ford dealer to see how you would go about getting some recourse from Firestone about that blown tire. I'd recommend replacing them all at Firestone's cost.

Flying Tiger
03-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
I just heard yesterday that the SteelTex tires on the Ford Excursion are on the bad list, so even if you don't have a Ford, check with a Ford dealer to see how you would go about getting some recourse from Firestone about that blown tire. I'd recommend replacing them all at Firestone's cost.
I saw on the evening news about a year ago a class action lawsuit on the Steeltex. Don't know what the outcome was, but the news reporter and the lawfirm representing several hundred people had a good case.
Perhaps Firestone has a program in place to cover losses.

LOWRIVER2
03-13-2004, 04:27 PM
I found the class action lawsuit website for the Excursions and registered my blowout.
I went to the local Firestone dealer today with the complete carcass. The manager said my tire (Steeltex R4S 245/75R16) is not the same as the Excursions as it is E rated and F-stone does not put a warranty or road hazard coverage on it. The manager did give me the number to Firestone Claims dept. and said most of the time, Firestone will cover body damage caused by their tires, regardless. I'm not holding my breath on that one. I took several photos of damage, and will keep the carcass and one other tire for reference.
Of course, I say the tires look awfully similar. I think the only reason the GM's tires don't get reported may be that the 3/4-1 ton trucks don't have the issue of rollover=injuries like the SUV's. I was travelling 70mph at the base of the Chiraco summit when the left rear went. Changing the flat was a bitch with that traffic at 1030 pm!
With the one tire gone, I chose to come back instead of continue to the river. I could'nt trust the other 3. It was just a work trip anyways.
I'm gonna get the body work done starting Mon. and put on either BFG A/T's or Ditto Grappler's as I need the extra tread at my boat ramp. Wish I would of switched a few months back, LOL.
Based on my experience, I'd get rid of the Firestone steeltex if anyone has them, the sidewall blew out quickly and I was lucky to pull over quickly (light traffic) and still had significant quarter panel damage.

77charger
03-13-2004, 06:29 PM
not 50 k yet but 4 k so far so good.I need to take in to have them take a look at the driver door seal it seems a little loud for me.But since this my first new truck i guess i am being picky about every little thing.That is my only thing as of now.Otherwise good truck have towed 3 times with it.Pismo,dumont ,and glamis.