PDA

View Full Version : 496HO Props

Kachina26
03-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I've got a 26' Kachina with 496HO and a 24" prop, I hit 5,000 RPM at 64MPH. My question is, do I have enough room to run a 26" prop? Is there anywhere out in Havasu that I can borrow one before I buy? If I hit the throttle too hard (only did it once) I blow out the 24 which makes me think I can run a bigger pitch.

LAST DANCE
03-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Go talk to Skip at Skip's prop shop in Havasu... He let me use 3 different props befor a got the right one last week... He's on the lake side of 95 on Countryshire ave and Kiowa..good luck!

twistedpair
03-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Demo Props (http://www.mercurymarine.com/dealerlocator?city=LAKE+HAVASU+CITY&state=AZ&formSubmit=Search&func=viewDealers&wid=274&dealerType=SALES&productLine=DP&searchType=CityState)
Let us know how you do>

Kachina26
03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
Demo Props (http://www.mercurymarine.com/dealerlocator?city=LAKE+HAVASU+CITY&state=AZ&formSubmit=Search&func=viewDealers&wid=274&dealerType=SALES&productLine=DP&searchType=CityState)
Let us know how you do> Hey thanks twisted, I was at the merc site and didn't find that cool tool. Turns out the place I store my boat is listed:D I'm gonna have to get ahold of them and arrange something.

Kachina26
03-15-2004, 08:59 PM
That sounds like a great deal, but I really want to try one out before I spend the money. I might get to try one this weekend and if all works out and your guy still has that one.........well we'll go from there. Thanks for the heads up!

Scream
03-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Don't forget to share your new found info with your Kachina Brothers...:D

rivercrazy
03-16-2004, 02:56 PM
I spent some time testing a few prop's on our Shockwave 25 Tremor (similar in size to your Kachina). Temps were in the high 80's. The results were obtained with a Garmin GPS and the 496HO motor just got its 100 hour service. Just me in the boat with a light overall load but 3/4 tank of gas. Mirror flat glass water conditions. Big thanks out to Maveric Marine for letting me borrow some props. And I must say that York Propellors does incrediable work on their lab finishes......
The results were:
23P Rev-4 (Box stock but fixed by York after I messed it up quite a bit once!). Speed @ 3K rpm = 38.2mph. Speed @ 3.5K rpm = 47mph. Speed @ 4K rpm = 55mph. Top speed 71.2 mph @ 5,150 rpm. Impressions: Great all around prop for this boat. Strong holeshot, midrange accel, and great overall efficiency. No blow out in turns. I now know why Shockwave highly recommends this prop for this boat. I would be curious to see how it would do brand new and labbed by York Props!
25P Mirage Plus (Labbed by York). Speed @ 3K rpm = 38.5 mph. Speed @ 3.5K rpm = 48mph. Speed @ 4K rpm = 55 mph. Top speed 72.1 @ 4.9K rpm. Impressions: A bit sluggish rolling over and vents a bit in the turns. But quite strong midrange accel and better top end than the Rev-4. But not great for carrying loads or skiing. Spins the motor up easier and seems to produce less stress on the outdrive.
24P Bravo 1 (Labbed by York). Speed @ 3K rpm = 36.5 mph. Speed @ 3.5K rpm = 44 mph. Speed @ 4K rpm = 50mph. Top speed 72.8mph @ 5,150 rpm. Impressions: This prop really surprised me. I thought the midrange cruising rpm would be better than the Rev-4 due to its 24P versus 23P. Seems like the Bravo 1 is light on pitch or just not as efficient in the mid range. The prop didn't roll the boat over quite as quick as the 23P rev-4 but it was OK in that department. However, it produced the best top end speeds and midrange accel was probably the best of all these props except the 21P Rev-4. The Bravo 1 produced a slight porpous at high speeds but nothing significant.
21P Rev-4 (Ski Wheel). Didn't do speed testing on this prop. But the holeshot and midrange is brutal! No blow out at all.....Hits the rev limiter pretty easily but that is expected. Single purpose back up and ski wheel prop only.

Kachina26
03-21-2004, 09:26 PM
I tried a 26 demo prop from Campbells and sadly I couldn't even push it. maxed out at 4500 rpm, slow to come on plane to boot. Might get the 24 labbed, but will eventually have to bump the hp on the motor if I want to pick up speed.

Dr. Eagle
03-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I tried a 26 demo prop from Campbells and sadly I couldn't even push it. maxed out at 4500 rpm, slow to come on plane to boot. Might get the 24 labbed, but will eventually have to bump the hp on the motor if I want to pick up speed.
I was gonna say you would lose around 400 rpm. I am surprised it was 500. I think your best bet will be in labbing your current prop... my .02...