PDA

View Full Version : Free Air Sub's

wavejumppin
03-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Does anybody manufacture free air sub's anymore? I want a killer set; not just anything will do.

Jetdriver
03-16-2004, 03:32 PM
I have a single 12" Kicker free air in the bow of the new boat. Im thinking I would rather have a sealed enclosure. You sure you want to go the freeair route?

wavejumppin
03-16-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm going to put 4 10's under my backseat and unless I build some kind of dividers so they will have their own enclosures; I figured free air's would be the way to go.

riverbound
03-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I have seen people just cut holes and place woofers under the seat but it does not seem to work too well. we usually rebuild the bottom part of the seat as the enclosure and it works much better
most woofers produced today are designed for sealed enclosures.

BoatFloating
03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
JL stopped making theirs last year. I would think Roz could find out or knows who has them now.

ROZ
03-17-2004, 01:02 AM
I'd look on the inernet or maybe call Jlaudio to see if they have 4 in their whss. A lot of the time they keep a small amount of product available for warranty purposes...Speaker replacement within 1 year... your year is almost up ...
You want speakers that have a very stiff suspension as a normal encloused speaker used the pressure behind the driver to help control it... You'll also want an amp that has a subsonic filter on it. This is will also help the amp control the speaker in ported, infinite baffle, and bandpass applications.
Free-air sub = Infinite Baffle
Another couple speakers to look at are the IDmax by image Dynamics, and the SS series subs by Treo....
As compared to some of the markets high end speakers , these are relatively inexpensive... But you'll probably find them in the 250 to 350 range for each unit.
The JL's will be less expensive if you can find them... 10IB4 is your model number...
EDIT: To add... I think the Kicker and Clarion Marine subs are meant for IB applications as well
I hope this helps...:)

BoatFloating
03-17-2004, 06:29 AM
JL doesn't have the IBF's anymore. I sent one in for warranty and they called and said they had no more and would send me a 10W1 instead. So that is not a option for you.....

wavejumppin
03-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the input guy's! Roz, the installers I'm going to use sell the Treo line and the head guy thinks they are an awesome sub... what do you think of them? Is the model your talking about a free air or just something you think might work?

ROZ
03-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by wavejumppin
Thanks for the input guy's! Roz, the installers I'm going to use sell the Treo line and the head guy thinks they are an awesome sub... what do you think of them? Is the model your talking about a free air or just something you think might work?
one thing that you have to remember is that an install will make or break your system no matter the grade of gear. That being said, they are a great speaker. The SS is designed for IB, ported, bandpass, and AP installs...
EDIT: The SS's cone is poly and the surround is a hybrid foam with UV protection...

Cheap Thrills
03-21-2004, 01:54 AM
S T R O K E R !
http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/mobileaudio/index.html
Play it LOUD !
C.T. :wink:

Offshore1
04-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Kicker makes them. I have a set in my boat and they sound fine.
Buy an extra set of grilles. the Kicker grilles rust. :frown:

BOBALOO
04-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Infinite baffle subs sound like 6x9's w/o any high frequencies goin to them.
I would rather have one 10" in the correct enclosure than two 12's without
IMHO
BTW
I have a used 12" JL 12w0 4 ohm in the garage that I will trade for something if anyone needs a replacement.

ROZ
04-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Every "free air" sub system I've ever heard sucked ass.. ???
RD
WEll now it's official... RD says it sucks ass then I guess it does...lol:D