PDA

View Full Version : A 300 mile boat ride

Boozer
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Planning a boat trip in June thats going to cover aproximately 300 miles of Lake Michigans shoreline and looking for suggestions on what preperations to make to the boat mechanically.
As of right now I'm thinking all standard maintenance will be performed on the boat right before the trip. Is there anything else I should consider replacing/reconditioning before I put the boat through a 300 mile trip?
I imagine the majority of the trip will be spent cruising about 35 mph around 3800 RPM or so. Is there any particular intervals of time that I should run the boat in to make sure it doesn't explode half way through the trip?

Mandelon
03-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I'd say to get a VHF Radio and join Seatow or BoatUs just in case. Sounds like a great trip. Will you be tying up and staying at hotels every night? Maybe get extra fenders and a cover....
Does your's have the 5.0?

H20 Toie
03-29-2006, 04:04 PM
We went 200 miles last month, channel islands to catalina to long beach back to channel islands and the only problem i had was that i can only go 140 miles on a tank of gas :cry: (Hello vessel assist) other that it being a long day it was no problem. we were running about 5k all day

Dave C
03-29-2006, 04:11 PM
double check your drive alignment and bellows (if it hasn't been done)......
get the gas card all fired up.... :crossx:

phebus
03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
From what I've seen of the Great Lakes winds, the first thing I would get would be a bigger boat. :rolleyes:

WaTchTheGelCoat
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Make sure you have a ship to shore radio. Lake Michigan is just like the ocean. I hope you are doing this in a larger size boat, because a 19 foot boat isnt going to cut it, you will have a boat load of sea sick people. Other than that, Lake Michigan is awesome, lots of beautiful scenery, and huge lakefront houses to look at.
Also, there are thousands of other cool hotspots to hit while in Michigan. Lake Paw Paw, any of the lakes in Sister Lakes, are all cool places to visit.

RiverOtter
03-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't know what kind of boat you have but if you have an I/O, change the dam impeller. I have made a few 200 - 300 miles trips and the only thing that stopped us dead was an impeller going bad on the return trip ('bout 70 miles short :mad: )

brianthomas
03-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Planning a boat trip in June thats going to cover aproximately 300 miles of Lake Michigans shoreline and looking for suggestions on what preperations to make to the boat mechanically.
As of right now I'm thinking all standard maintenance will be performed on the boat right before the trip. Is there anything else I should consider replacing/reconditioning before I put the boat through a 300 mile trip?
I imagine the majority of the trip will be spent cruising about 35 mph around 3800 RPM or so. Is there any particular intervals of time that I should run the boat in to make sure it doesn't explode half way through the trip?
We have several people from our boat club who run the great lakes in the summer. It appears you MAY have a short boat? I would run it in nothing less than 30' unless you are trailering and choosing your days carefully. A VHF and a handheld backup is mandantory! If you are crossing open water a ploter is needed and I would certainly want an interfaced radar.
Remember, these bodies of water are called lakes but they are in all reality inland seas, just no salt. There have been countless boats find their way to the bottom both large and small. Day trips are great or hugging the shoreline port to port. Our past comodore is now comodore of the Great Lakes Cruising Club, if you want I can get you a link.

Tom Brown
03-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I'd love to tour Lake Gitchigumi. Cool trip, Boozer. :cool:
Don't worry about maintenance or the size of your boat. Just remember.... if something screws up and it kills you and your passengers, it is someone else's fault. :D

AZKC
03-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Reminds me of a song :)

Midlife Advantage
03-29-2006, 08:33 PM
lotsa spare parts; impeller, bilge pump, water pump, stuff that is likely to get a workout. and oh yeah, a bigger boat.

sanger rat
03-29-2006, 08:42 PM
No less than a 30 footer. In bad weather we can get 4-6 foot waves. Stop in and see me.

maxwedge
03-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Say hi to my old v-drive if you cruise past Warren Dunes State Park. It's still down there somewhere. :cry:

Havasu Hangin'
03-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Reminds me of a song :)
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

Never Too Old
03-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Are you going to the Michigan or Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan?
On the Wisconsin side is Door County (the "thumb" of Wisconsin). It's a peninsula. On the east side of the peninsula its cold - like the rest of Lake Michigan. On the west side its warm and sunny and the waters are much calmer.
There are quaint little towns along the peninsula - Egg Harbor, Ephraim, Sister Bay and Washington Island.
Check it out. I wouldn't miss it if I was visiting that part of the country.

MagicMtnDan
03-30-2006, 07:22 AM
You gonna take a gun and some condoms? :D
Have a great trip!

Quality Time
03-30-2006, 07:53 AM
If you are running a samller boat, I suggest you hit the lakes in northern MI. Torch, Elk, Charlevoix, Burt, Mullet etc. From Charlevoix, you can venture out into the big lake and head into Grand Traverse bay. From Burt & Mullet I believe you can get out into Lake Huron at Cheboygan. Beautiful boating, but bring foul weather gear and I hope your rig has a full enclosure.
Enjoy, your trip! I'll be up there in August.

KROOZIN
03-30-2006, 07:57 AM
How ya been Boozer?
I did 420 miles (yes 420) on Lake MI last year in 2 days. Make sure you take a GPS!!!!!!!! (handheld is ok) and buy the local chip for it. It will show you depths and ports. It gets shallow along part of the coast. Plan a few extra days in case some weather comes up. It was 3-5 footers going up and flat coming home. Cell phones and VHF also a must!
Plenty of good advise here, but try and take a spare of everything. Hoses, duct tape, zip-ties, all the usual stuff. Know where the ports are, you might need to stay in one for awhile.
The day before we left, it was freakin huge out.....there were 5 big boats and none of us could stay out in it....I was getting water over my bow and into my lap.
It can change fast!!! Be careful...have at least 2 boats make the journey together. Oh yeah, water is cold too!
Oh Yeah, lifejackets too. (Depending on the time of year....that water can kill ya quick)

ThongMagnet
03-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Full Wetsuits for everybody

phebus
03-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't think Topless is going to let you get off this easy on a honeymoon :)

KROOZIN
03-30-2006, 10:00 AM
check out these sites:
http://www.uscg.mil/d9/grugh/
http://boatingontheweb.com/grand.htm

Boozer
03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
The plan as of right now is to launch into Lake Michigan out of chicago and hug the shoreline all the way up. We may try and run it as far up as Canada but I don't think I want to push the boat that much. I'm figuring that as long as we monitor the weather and not venture out more then a 1/4 - 1/2 mile from the shoreline even my little 19' boat should be okay. The plan was to run during the day then dock the boat at night and party at the variious hotels and bars along the way.
Now you guys have me reconsidering. Maybe I'll have to postpone the trip for another year until I can upgrade to a bigger boat. This sucks :yuk:

you gots 2 chill
03-30-2006, 10:31 AM
I am from Chicago and I have been out on Lake Michigan countless times. There is a lot to see and do. I agree that you need a 30ft plus boat. It can get bad at times, I have been out on the lake at night in a 55ft Cabin Cruiser and it felt like we were in a washing machine. Under the right circumstances it can be a great time. Good luck!

KROOZIN
03-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Now you guys have me reconsidering. Maybe I'll have to postpone the trip for another year until I can upgrade to a bigger boat. This sucks :yuk:
Sorry dude, just want ya to be safe :)
http://sweetwatervisions.com/Media/copyright_Mahan_38_566J.jpg