PDA

View Full Version : Covers for open bows.......

Mandelon
03-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Does anybody make a hard cover? You will see that I am full of ideas.......some have already been thought up by others so I never know.....
Anyway here is what I was thinking.......Make a hard cover to fit over the open bow portion of a boat. It would be fiberglass and gelled to match the boat. It would need some sort of soft cloth or rubber gasket so it would not scratch your gel, and fasten with a clamp and rod maybe to a flange mounted on the sole.
Do you follow me here? It would convert your open bow to solid deck. It would be like a big triangle, or perhaps hinged in the middle for easy storage.
Then you could take your open bow out in colder weather and harsher conditions without fear of waves coming over the bow.
Ever seen one? Good Idea or Bad idea?
:confused: :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
03-18-2004, 06:17 PM
The cockpit covers with snaps aren't waterproof?

RiverToysJas
03-18-2004, 06:19 PM
And when not in use, you store it......where...the over-crowded garage? :D
I've thought of it, but storage seems like a pain in the rear, IMO.
It would work well for cuddy-open's. The snap on canvas ones work pretty good though, from what I've seen (which is very few). They store better too.
RTJas :D

DeltaSigBoater
03-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Mandelon
I get what you’re saying, good idea. I remember seeing and inflatable boat at Catalina Island with a similar concept, had a wood deck across the top. You may be on to something, can’t use one myself since my boat is a closed bow.

mirvin
03-18-2004, 07:31 PM
I got one of those hard tonneau covers that I've been thinking about chopping down to make a rear deck out of;) I don't know if I'd even try cutting it into a triangle and mounting it over the open bow:confused:
Seems like too much weight too

Dr. Eagle
03-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
make hard
he he he he he he he he he uhhhhh he said make hard... he he he he he he:D

mirvin
03-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
he he he he he he he he he uhhhhh he said make hard... he he he he he he:D
code blue:D

Lakeshow
03-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Beleive it or not - DCB is doing a 28 with a removable hard cover for the open bow - it is bitchin.

Havasu Hangin'
03-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Lakeshow
Beleive it or not - DCB is doing a 28 with a removable hard cover for the open bow - it is bitchin.
Probably so you could walk up on the bow if your gonna hit something...

Lightning
03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I like this idea, I think it would be cool. At times I wish I had a closed bow. In my opinion, closed bows look better and open bows are more functional.

rivercrazy
03-18-2004, 09:53 PM
From what I've seen the canvas snap covers have a tendancy to blow off at around 65.
CLOSED BOW all the way! :D

MagicMtnDan
03-18-2004, 10:28 PM
I think it's a great idea and it has been brought up before:
Check this out (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28245)
And check this out (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3373)