PDA

View Full Version : New truck Gear Ratio Help?

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 07:33 AM
If all goes well, I'm buying a new 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab tomorrow. Its has the 5.3 Vortec motor. My question, taking in consideration within a year I will have a Howard bullet (currently only tow a Malibu ski boat), what GEAR RATIO should I get: 3.73 or 3.42. Whats the benefits of one vs the other? The 3.42 is standard and the 3.73 is $50 bucks more. Just want to get the best for my purposes.
Thanks,
Roln 20s

jackpunx
03-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Is the diameter of your 20's going to end up the same as stock?.. I say go with the bigger 373..

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Go deep. The 3.73's are what you'll end up wishing for after you've pulled with the taller gears.
If you wait, your looking at a grand easy to change gears in the pumpkin.

Jrocket
03-19-2004, 07:43 AM
3.73's

Flying Tiger
03-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Towing with that motor may require the 3.73. But if you open the new truck Silverado sales brochure, it has a scale listed of what rear end for what motor considering the weight you're towing.
The sales brochure is on line too at gm.com.
(What ever weight you think you may have, add another 10% for intangables like beer, Baccardi, the blender, ice, Tequila, ect ect.)
I've found heeding the brochures recomendations has always worked for me.
Get posi too..

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys- what will the 3.73s do to my gas mileage, if any.
Jackpunx-- I think the new total diameter of the 20s is 31.8, and the stocks are 30 inches, so we have a 1.8 inch variance. What does this mean, besides my speedo will be off.
Roln 20s

jackpunx
03-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Other then the speedo.. (minor).. They are recommending that you run 3.42 with a 30" diameter.. if you add some size to that it will take more power to turn the tires.. also ,, your going to be pulling some weight behind it.. Go with the 3.73’s... unless you plan and adding a S/C.. Glad to see your plan is coming together..
First the truck..
then the new boat... HEll YEA.. Im putting mine away and Rolln 20,s with you:D

jackpunx
03-19-2004, 08:03 AM
the gas milage will be minor. unless you were to go with 411 or 456.. then it would suck..

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 08:08 AM
You can always roll with my Jackpunx- especially if you come down with a fear of speed, on a good day the Malibu is running 42, seriously...hold on :D
You gonna be in havasu next weekend- saturday the 27th? Oh yeah, I just have to touch up some paint and fix a couple of tiles the the back yard is done (well minus the landscaping, but that shouldn't take to long). I'm gonna have to get Fourspeednup to bring some college sluts over for a hot tub/bbq party.
Roln 20s

jackpunx
03-19-2004, 08:12 AM
LOL.. Im leaving today.. Taking off from the office at 9.. and out of town by 12.. :D .. I was going to stay with Zach.. but I ended up getting my timeshare at the Nautical. Good deal with your house.. Im going to have to come out there again soon and hang with you guys.. Call my if you get a wild hair and want to come down to the river this weekend.. Othwerwise.. We'll see ya on the 24th:D

PHOTOGLOU
03-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by roln 20s
If all goes well, I'm buying a new 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab tomorrow. Its has the 5.3 Vortec motor. My question, taking in consideration within a year I will have a Howard bullet (currently only tow a Malibu ski boat), what GEAR RATIO should I get: 3.73 or 3.42. Whats the benefits of one vs the other? The 3.42 is standard and the 3.73 is $50 bucks more. Just want to get the best for my purposes.
Thanks,
Roln 20s let me save you money. How much you paying???

Lightning
03-19-2004, 09:50 AM
From person experience, if you are towing go for the 3.73's or higher. If you think you will end up with larger diameter tires then stock, get 4.10's if you can.

HighRoller
03-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Go with the 3.73 gears. I have the 5.3 with 3.42 gears and it's great for towing on flat ground but on the smallest hill it will drop out of O/D quickly. Then once it speeds up it upshifts again. Soon it slows down and downshifts again. That engine likes higher RPM so you'll be in good shape with those gears and it will be easier on the trans. I also recommend at least a good air filter and a good muffler. When I switched to the K&N/Flowmaster combo I picked up 2MPG on the freeway. If you want to tow with the 3.42's buy a Whipple for it!:D

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 10:06 AM
let me save you money. How much you paying???
We'll see, I have my limit. The truck is going to the 2wd, everything but leather (well, who knows :D) stickers around $33K, and my deal is invoice - 10%. Plus they are giving me $10K for my trade (definately not worth that to anyone but a special buyer- airbagged chevy on 20's: 1995), plus rebates of $4250 (which I kind of want the cash- more Howard fund $, versus the savings off the price. Base invoice is around $26.5K, minus the 10%, minus my trade (which is paid off) will leave me financing around $13.85K and with $4250 in my pocket. Plus I am still trying to get them to throw in some 20s and a billet grill :D Its my deal or no deal.
What do you think- good negotiating or can I do substaintually (SP) better? Any advise is appreciated.
3.73 gears is the highest they offer, so that appears to be what I will get.
Roln 20s

mikev
03-19-2004, 10:09 AM
i have the 5.3 with 3.73 gears in mine and it pulls great and the takeoff is great fof blowing away ricers. of course mine is a regular cab with the stepside which is allot lighter.

PHOTOGLOU
03-19-2004, 10:19 AM
We'll see, I have my limit. The truck is going to the 2wd, everything but leather (well, who knows :D) stickers around $33K, and my deal is invoice - 10%. Plus they are giving me $10K for my trade (definately not worth that to anyone but a special buyer- airbagged chevy on 20's: 1995), plus rebates of $4250 (which I kind of want the cash- more Howard fund $, versus the savings off the price. Base invoice is around $26.5K, minus the 10%, minus my trade (which is paid off) will leave me financing around $13.85K and with $4250 in my pocket. Plus I am still trying to get them to throw in some 20s and a billet grill :D Its my deal or no deal.
What do you think- good negotiating or can I do substaintually (SP) better? Any advise is appreciated.
3.73 gears is the highest they offer, so that appears to be what I will get.
Roln 20s The vehicl I am pricing for you has a $33803 M.S.R.P. window sticker after $500 discount pkg $500. bonus cash(sign & drive) $750 cal. bonus cash and $2500 gives you $4250 in rebates and factory discounts I will knock off another $3,803 to sell the truck $200 back of invoice delivered to you making your price $ 25,750 800 552 2646 x 114 Jay

Ducatista
03-19-2004, 10:34 AM
1500 crew w/5.3 & 28 Howard= 3.73 & 4x4 for the launch ramps!

gnarley
03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Get the 3:73's or if possible the 4:11's Consumer Reports did a comparison and said there was little loss in MPG between all the ratios but the lower the better for towing. We just took delivery of our new Yukon Wednesday with 3:73's and I am glad I did! If we could have opted for 4:11's I would have just to make towing a little easier.

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 10:43 AM
1500 crew w/5.3 & 28 Howard= 3.73 & 4x4 for the launch ramps!
Do you actually use 4x4 on the ramps? Everytime or sometime? I, nor my family, I have ever used 4x4 at the ramps, even when we had it. I used the truck I have now to pull a buddies 28 Sunsation out of the delta in nor cal, and never had a problem. I didn't really consider 4x4 since the ramps I use most often, Lake Pleasant and Havasu Marina, don't require it, plus Lake Powell once a year at Wahweep. Over kill, necessity or good to have?
Roln 20s

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
The vehicl I am pricing for you has a $33803 M.S.R.P. window sticker after $500 discount pkg $500. bonus cash(sign & drive) $750 cal. bonus cash and $2500 gives you $4250 in rebates and factory discounts I will knock off another $3,803 to sell the truck $200 back of invoice delivered to you making your price $ 25,750 800 552 2646 x 114 Jay
Thats basically where I am at now- plus the trade in. If it doesn't work out tomorrow for my price, I'll call you.
Thanks for the info.
Roln 20s

gnarley
03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
I think where you could go it most deffinitly could be overkill. you save around 4K by having 2WD, your mileage is better and your insurance is less!
Just make sure you have tow hooks on the front and a tug-em strap just in case you ever need it and you will be fine.;)

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Do you actually use 4x4 on the ramps? Everytime or sometime? I, nor my family, I have ever used 4x4 at the ramps, even when we had it. I used the truck I have now to pull a buddies 28 Sunsation out of the delta in nor cal, and never had a problem. I didn't really consider 4x4 since the ramps I use most often, Lake Pleasant and Havasu Marina, don't require it, plus Lake Powell once a year at Wahweep. Over kill, necessity or good to have?
Roln 20s
I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :D
I drove a 2 wheel drive truck for years, never had a problem... till I got stuck at Powell launching my Dad's boat from the beach. Done it several times before no problem, but that one ruined the whole weekend. I've driven 4 wd truck/blazer ever since.

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks Gnarley-thats what I was thinking.
Roln 20s

gnarley
03-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :D
I drove a 2 wheel drive truck for years, never had a problem... till I got stuck at Powell launching my Dad's boat from the beach. Done it several times before no problem, but that one ruined the whole weekend. I've driven 4 wd truck/blazer ever since.
Well duh, you were asking for problems and NOT prepared for them. ;) Anything other than cement or asphalt might bite you and you never know when so if you aren't prepared I think you are just plain stupid, sorry. It's like driving in snow country in the winter without chains.

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by gnarley
Well duh, you were asking for problems and NOT prepared for them. ;) Anything other than cement or asphalt might bite you and you never know when so if you aren't prepared I think you are just plain stupid, sorry. It's like driving in snow country in the winter without chains.
Yep, that was pretty much my conclusion as well. :D

HighRoller
03-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much more is the 6.0 engine? You could take part of that 4250 and upgrade.

PHOTOGLOU
03-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Just out of curiosity, how much more is the 6.0 engine? You could take part of that 4250 and upgrade. 6.0 not avail in 1500 crew cab only 2500 do you want 2500 light duty or 2500 heavy duty Jay

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much more is the 6.0 engine?
That was my first question, and when I heard it wasn't available, I shook my head. But hell, I didn't know the 5.3 put out 295hp, that amazing. My 1995 5.7 puts out like 205ish, I'm not going to know what to do!The 6.0 is only 30 more HP, but I did look at the SS Silverado, but that insurance quote turned me away from that. Anything high performance for a 22 year, even with a clean record the ins people don't seem to like their odds on that.
Roln 20s

MagicMtnDan
03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Here's what I think...
* 3.73 gear is the lowest ratio you should go with for that motor. 4.10 would even be better. The more power you have the lower gear number you can go with. Yes, higher gear numbers = lower gas mileage but it also means better towing.
* That motor isn't going to make you happy if you're going to be towing uphills/mountains and heavier loads (like a new Howard Bullet!) then you need MORE MOTOR.
* Get the 6.0L motor AND 3.73 gears and you and your truck will be a LOT happier. And if that means you've gotta go up to the 2500 then do it. Afterall, that's what you're buying the truck for (to tow).

Ducatista
03-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Roln 20s
We usually are in 2x except on the busy weekends when the ramps get real wet. I just like to have the 4x4 option for those few times it comes in handy. I like the look of the 4x4 also, which makes the additional money worth it for me. It is true your gas milage will go down a little and insurance up a little with the 4x. I have just seen to many 2x trucks that can't get up the ramp without help in my experience, so I prefer the 4x. I don't think it's overkill, its having the right tool for the job in my opinion. Sounds like you'll be fine with you're choice, either way.

HighRoller
03-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I agree with MMD. It's not the HP you want, it's the torque. The 6.0L has more torque and after you add some mods you'll be much happier in the long run. I towed my 21ft boat with my 5.3 and it was okay unless you pulled hills. From what I see the 2500 is only about $1000 more than what you're looking at. Do you have any specific reason for wanting the crewcab?(kids etc...) If not, get the extended cab. I have the ext cab and it's damn near as big as a crewcab. Has the fold-up seat bottom too so you can load the back from top to bottom with luggage etc... Another idea is buying used. You could find a nice two year old truck if you looked hard, maybe one with a Duramax. Since new cars depreciate 25-40% in the first two years you get more for your money.

PHOTOGLOU
03-19-2004, 11:46 AM
That was my first question, and when I heard it wasn't available, I shook my head. But hell, I didn't know the 5.3 put out 295hp, that amazing. My 1995 5.7 puts out like 205ish, I'm not going to know what to do!The 6.0 is only 30 more HP, but I did look at the SS Silverado, but that insurance quote turned me away from that. Anything high performance for a 22 year, even with a clean record the ins people don't seem to like their odds on that.
Roln 20s try a quote from scott shipley farmers agent great guy 714 838 0934 mention my name Jay Photoglou he will go to you with paper work and can even beat other farmers agents

roln 20s
03-19-2004, 11:58 AM
High Roller-
There's a couple of reasons I want this truck-- I want 4 doors for people and convenience, but don't want an SUV. I have a problem with stock vehicles, and if I get a HD it would have to be lifted, but then won't fit in my garage (problem for me). Plus, I would get the diesel, which is significantly higher. GT tows his 25 bullet with a 5.3 Tahoe and says its great. I'm usually only towing about 25 miles each way to the lake, not far. Need more comfort and room. Kids, definately not yet, wife..definately not yet...lots of friends who love the lake- Absolutely. The boat we have now sits at the lake here, I tow it 1/2 a mile to the ramp :D I will hopefully add a new exhaust and K&N, seems to provide a little extra all around.
My neighbor is a wholesale dealer, and he can't get me a used (last 2 year) vehicle for the price I will get the new one, plus I would have to sell my truck on my own, would be lucky to get 8K let alone 10K, not to mention the low interest and rebates. I've actually been against new trucks, until now, but only if the deal I want happens.
MMD-
I agree more motor would be nice, but I really don't think I need it. So I may go a little slower up the hills, but I compensate for that (IMO) in gainned gas mileage and normal use. As noted above, I currently don't tow a boat more than a mile, except to hit Havasu. I can get that same situation if I want with a new Bullet, but I don't want my baby sitting out there.
Moral of the story- this will tow anyboat I get 100x better than the 1995 5.7 chevy I have now.
Thanks so much for all of your comments- this is why I love this site. I needed advise, and I have got it.
Roln 20s

Three Days Only
03-19-2004, 12:04 PM
With the heavier boat on a slippery launch ramp, it's always nice to have 4WD. The 3.73 would be good too. The bullet is a fairly light boat, you should be good to go. Congratulations
My.02

HighRoller
03-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Okay, I understand now and identify. When I lived in Laughlin I towed 1/2 mile to launch so I never squawked about the 5.3 in my GMC. I assumed you were going to use it for towing long distances but if it's only 25 miles you'll be fine. Get the exhaust and air filter done for sure, it made a big difference on mine.

Dr. Eagle
03-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks,
Roln 20s
If you are going to tow, 3.73

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-19-2004, 12:33 PM
3.73 locking rear diff will pull all you need. make sure you get the locking diff or you'll melt the passenger side rear tire.;) I have pulled everything from my boat (3,000 lb) to TexasJet's boat (4500lbs) to a 20 ft low boy loaded with lumber with a standard cab 1500 2wd 5.3L 3.73. I have never had a problem. I would recommend using the tow/haul feature on the end of the shifter. It does help keep the tranny alive. Also if you get the heavy duty trailering package it comes with a transmission cooler.:)
Omega

roln 20s
03-21-2004, 09:05 AM
For the update, no new truck yet. Being a finance person and actually having a clue with what I wanted and was talking about, I went through 3 sales managers, and one GM and still didn't get the deal I needed/wanted, in fact in the end, they were trying to screw me by 5K- fauckers, so I walked out, after 3 hours of negotiating and arguing.
Why didn't anyone ever tell me how fun (or not fun) car buying is?
PHOTOGLOU-- I am in the process now of selling the Roln20s ride out right, then going to deal again. Once its sold, I'll give you a call. Thanks for the offer and help.
Thanks for all of your help- 3.73 gears it will be.
Roln 20s

gnarley
03-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Why didn't anyone ever tell me how fun (or not fun) car buying is?
It all depends on who you deal with, seems like someone here can hook a brotha up.
We don't worry about price, I find what I want, wait for the most incentives that are offered and then tell the dealer that I have my GMS number already approved. If you are GM family member of any type the GMS discount can be quite substantial. Our Yukon was $1800 in back of invoice without even throwing in this months incentives.

roln 20s
03-22-2004, 08:02 AM
What is that GMS number?
Roln 20s

gnarley
03-22-2004, 01:00 PM
What is that GMS number?
Roln 20s
If you or anyone related to you works for any part of GM Corporation you can get a factory discount that allows you to buy at less than the invoice, NO dealer bargaining allowed. Depending on the vehicle the savings can be as much as 20% without the monthly incentives added in.

roln 20s
03-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Interesting...now I have to think about who I know. Definately a good way to go. Thanks for the advice.
Roln 20s