PDA

View Full Version : Changing Oil

superdiesel73
03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Hey guys what are you using to suck the oil out of your dipsticks. I just bought this screwgun kit that connects to a drill, tried that for like half and hour and got about one quart out of it. Should it take this long. I'm thinking the tube that does in the dipsticks isn't long enough, I measured it comparied to the diptick and its' about the same length. should it be long i'm thinking maybe? well let me know what i should do thanks

LUVNLIFE
03-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I use the Topsider. Stick the tube down the dipstick, pump the can, and in a few you have eight qrts sucked out. It has worked pretty good for me. I think you can get them at West Marine or Overtons.

mike37
03-21-2004, 05:13 PM
I have a drain hose that gos thou the transom plug
but you can get a vacum can that conect to the dip stick
you pump the vacum pump and forget about it over night
a friend has one it work great you can get them from west marien
and som other sim boat parts dealers

Mandelon
03-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Did ya run the motor to heat up the oil first? .....it makes a world of difference.

phebus
03-21-2004, 07:45 PM
I got the dealio that screws onto the fitting on the top of the dipstick tube, and you pump it out. Works great, and fast.

Trash
03-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I've gone through the gammut on this issue. First bought the hand pump that threaded onto the dipstick tube to suck out the oil. Works okay, but better if the oil is warm as mentioned previously. I still hated the frickin' oil that drizzled out when I had to unthread the handpump. Crap got all over the place. Plus that heavy Merc oil seemed to be more pervasive and slicker when it gets on your hands and such.
Problem is you still end up leaving a good quart or so in the pan because the dipstick tube doesn't hit the bottom.
Then I tried putting a bag in the bilge and pulling the oil pan plug. Got all the oil out, but was a big fat pain.
A few months ago I bought one of those oil removal pumps that mounts in the engine compartment specifically designed to remove oil. I have a hose connected to the oil pan where the oil drain plug use to reside. This hose runs up to the pump which is mounted on the back side of the bench seat. Pump has a 1/4 turn valve and a switch which must be held down to turn on and run the pump. I've also wired it via an accessory switch on the dash. This gives me three levels of protection against inadvertant oil removal.
Now all I do is turn on the batteries (via the Perko switch), turn on the accessory switch, lift the hatch, turn the shut off valve, and hold down the pump button. Bzzzzzz, few seconds later oil starts flowing out the outlet hose right into an empty container. Very very nice.
I have the remote oil filter that is mounted with the threaded side facing up (unlike most of the later Mercs), but it still spews oil as soon as I unscrew it. I now either take a punch and put a hole in the bottom with a catch cup underneath until it's empty or place a plastic bag around it when I'm removing it. The latter method works a little better.
The electric pump I got a Boat US and it costs about $100 or so. The hose and fittings were another $40 or so. Little pricey but I got sick of the mess and headaches.
BTW, heating the oil helps this pump work better too.