PDA

View Full Version : West Coat: Cell Reception

shaun
03-22-2004, 01:35 PM
I havnt been to the river is a long time and one of the main questions on my mind is cell phone reception, i know some of you are probably thinking WTF, **** the cell phone but i own my own company and they need to be able to get a hold on me and i need to be able to fire up the laptop in case the shit hits the fan. Right now i'm using cingular and well now that cingular bought up at&t's network i hear that it's the largest cell phone network. I also have nextel but nextel is the worst service i have EVER used!.
can some of you list where you got reception, how good the reception was, where you where at and what service your using. I used to go to McIntyre park all the time and thats probably were i will be going again but other info about parts in that general area would be nice (needles, parker, etc).
Thanks.

jackpunx
03-22-2004, 01:37 PM
I use Cingular.. and stay in Havasu.. Its just like Im at home.. Cant get reception at havi springs.. but around the channel is fine

RacerX
03-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Don't know exactly what you're after but we have Verizon. It was almost worthless at Lake Mojave (even at the marina). We got great service at both Parker and Havasu.

shaun
03-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by RacerX
Don't know exactly what you're after but we have Verizon. It was almost worthless at Lake Mojave (even at the marina). We got great service at both Parker and Havasu.
I just want to get a idea of what services work where.

unleashed
03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
I bought Nextel specifically for Havasu. It even works at the Sandbar.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Scream
03-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
I bought Nextel specifically for Havasu. It even works at the Sandbar.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
Is that the rule or the exception. I use Nextel for my business, I've got 18 I think. They're not too big on customer service problems, but the direct connect feature is almost worth what you have to put up with in terms of bad CS, IMO

anxious
03-22-2004, 05:58 PM
i have tmobile which is on the gsm network, it piggybacks off cingular. works fine at havasu and needles.
http://www.vinylventures.com

welk2party
03-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Good to know. I am in the market too. Anyone have Sprint?

raff
03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
I use Sprint... does not work in Parker or the south end of the lake. It does work from Havasu Palms up to the channel and in town. Works all the way out I-10, no signal on rice road or through Erinburg....
Mark out

TCHB
03-22-2004, 07:25 PM
I use ATT and it works great around Havasu.

shaun
03-22-2004, 10:29 PM
come on guys, i know more of you have phones :)

phebus
03-23-2004, 08:48 AM
We had ATT, and it worked good in Havasu, spotty to no service Parker Strip area. We got rid of it, because it didn't work the greatest around our house. We switched to Verizon. It works good in Havasu, but basically not at all in yhe Parker Strip area. It does work great around where we live. I don't think any cell's work good in the Parker area.

havasuaddicted661
03-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I have Att and last year when we were around needles and moabi it worked great and it work at sandbar and around the bridge as well. Going through Topac it cut out

shaun
03-23-2004, 06:51 PM
bump

Ivan Dan
03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
AT&T's GSM service aboslutely does not work in Havasu at all. Last summer it worked decent but since then it has gone downhill and now it doesn't work at all. And when I say not at all...I mean absolutely no signal at all.
Hope this helps!

shaun
05-05-2004, 12:35 PM
anybody have any info about what it's like in blythe?

riverbound
05-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Iknow that verizon works at parker and my nextel and my wifes cingular does not.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
My Nextel works everywhere in Havasu, but doesnt work in certain parts of Parker.

welk2party
05-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I used to be a long time Nextel guy. Finally got fed up with bad reception, customer service, and crappy phones.
Looked into all the companies. It seems like a coin flip really. They all have their pros and cons. Ended up with Sprint and now I am saving $250 a month.:cool:

goneboatin
05-05-2004, 03:44 PM
I've got Nextel for work and it only works at the corner of 62 and 95 at the empty lot in Parker. It's spotty in Havasu. My wife has Verizon and that seems to work everywhere. The Onstar in my truck works all over but you can't get messages on it.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
We have Cingular and it doesn't work in Parker but works in Needles/Topac. Not sure about Havasu though.
Used to have AT&T and it worked everywhere. Hubby used to have Sprint and they are worthless.
:)

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
we also use Nextel because we have our own business also.. the two way radio works great with the employees also from anywhere in Havasu.. we have great reception with the type of phone and plan we have.. ;) we still talk to our customers and employee's ;)

Dr. Eagle
05-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
AT&T's GSM service aboslutely does not work in Havasu at all. Last summer it worked decent but since then it has gone downhill and now it doesn't work at all. And when I say not at all...I mean absolutely no signal at all.
Hope this helps!
Hmmm that's odd, worked fine for me on the lake last year...:confused: And lots of new cells and 850 MHz GSM has been added on the Cali side... That should improve service some. Actually I think the digital services work way better than my Analog ever did at Havasu. But in rough terrain, it is a toss up where you will be able to use almost any service, and Havasu/Parker is kinda rough.

Boozer
05-05-2004, 08:38 PM
So those of you that have tmobile how does it work in havasu. From what I seen it looked as though coverage was great along the channel and at windsor but within the city itself the coverage was shit. Is that the case?
Cingular should work in parker and work well there. At least, thats why my maps tell me.

Dr. Eagle
05-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
So those of you that have tmobile how does it work in havasu. From what I seen it looked as though coverage was great along the channel and at windsor but within the city itself the coverage was shit. Is that the case?
Cingular should work in parker and work well there. At least, thats why my maps tell me.
I haven't been to Parker for a while, but the river will probably not be covered well being in a gorge.... Parker and the Dam area is probably well covered... Just a guess!
Unless they do cell sites along the road on utility poles or something, it'd be tough to cover the river upstream and I don't think there is probably enough traffic to justify that expense.

shaun
07-08-2004, 11:30 AM
I posted this like a year ago but i'm switching providers... I'm probably going to switch to verizon. I went to parker a few weeks ago and cingular and nextel(big supprise :rolleyes: ) both didnt work. How does verizon work at places like big rivier, blythe, and other area's of parker?
Cingular has been a great service so far but they are trying to bend me over for overage charges.
Nextel has to be the absolutely worst network/cell phone company ever. With the worst coverage, biggest phones i think they just buy the predated equipment from verizon, cingular, and at&t.

Steph
07-08-2004, 01:24 PM
I had Nextel and the only place it seemed to always work was in Havasu.
Now I have Verizon GSM and it works everywhere. Getting reception in my house is pretty hard too, but I got it. It worked through Parker, Channel and at the Sand Bar.

HokeySon
07-08-2004, 01:45 PM
works in blythe and at the top of the hills at big river.

SJRS1
07-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I have nextel and the two way works great in needles
Also have t-mobile air card for my laptop and it also works great in needles area

shaun
07-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by SJRS1
I have nextel and the two way works great in needles
Also have t-mobile air card for my laptop and it also works great in needles area
I've been contemplating getting one of those. how well's it been working for you? With the type of business i'm in i cant afford to not be reachable.

Evo22
07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
we use cingular and it works great in havasu nothing i know works in parker

SoCalOffshore
07-08-2004, 08:05 PM
I have ATT and it is always Roaming in Havasu. My wife has Verizon and it is spotty in Havasu with coverage and Roaming.

mtndewdrops
07-08-2004, 10:18 PM
AT&T rules out there in Havasu and on Parker Strip. I have had them all and am currently with AT&T.
A few years back Cingular mislead me to think I would have great coverage and I took the phones back after 1 trip. They would not refund the activation fee for both phones even though they lied about their coverage...that is a shitty way to do business. Ripped me of for $60.
Okay I fell better now.

Ziggy
07-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Verizon here...works for me in much of the Parker area and all over Havasu.