PDA

View Full Version : Wheel do you get the 5th wheel hook up

Kilrtoy
03-22-2004, 07:32 PM
If I wanted to put a 5th wheel trailer hitch in the truck where do you get this done and how much is it.....

Jordy
03-22-2004, 07:37 PM
I got my gooseneck done at Quality Bumper. But most truck accessorie stores should have something. I like the gooseneck much more than the 5th wheel because it pops down out of sight when I don't need it and I don't have to wrestle the hitch and side plates in and out of the truck every time I want to use it.

Kilrtoy
03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
That was my next question you kinda answered.
Are they easy to take in and out.
What is a gooseneck?

Jordy
03-22-2004, 07:51 PM
The gooseneck looks like a trailer ball (2 5/16") that is in the middle of the bed of the truck. Most of the big horse trailers and a majority of the enclosed race trailers run a goosneck style hitch.
The 5th wheel isn't hard to take in and out, but you will have rails that are always in the bed of the truck and although they're typically in 3 pieces, 1 of the 3 is rather heavy and awkward to move around, especially if you grease the 5th wheel plate like you're supposed to. Not my idea of a good time.
It's a matter of wrestling with this:
http://www.qualitybumper.com/trailer_hitches/5th_wheel/images/5thwheel_8.gif
or just pulling a lever and popping this up and down:
http://www.qualitybumper.com/trailer_hitches/popup_hitches/images/popup_anim.gif
Adapters are made for most 5th wheel trailers, or you can just have a weld shop fab one up for you to hook it up to the gooseneck.
http://www.hitchcorner.com/images/gooseneck/cody_coupler2.jpg

Kilrtoy
03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks Jordy:D
So what is the price in the two installed?

blueman
03-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Nice detail Jordy...learned something today..:D

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 04:21 AM
I don't know if it's an issue where you are at, but in Alberta, you can "B" train your trailer and boat behind the truck as long as you don't go over 20 meters in length. But the kicker is, you need to have an actual 5th wheel pin. A ball type 5th wheel hitch won't cut it. I'm just itching to get out there and pull the new trailer and boat to some great places around Alberta.

HOSS
03-23-2004, 05:34 AM
And remember to always leave the tailgate in the upright or closed position.:p

OGShocker
03-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I got my gooseneck done at Quality Bumper. But most truck accessorie stores should have something. I like the gooseneck much more than the 5th wheel because it pops down out of sight when I don't need it and I don't have to wrestle the hitch and side plates in and out of the truck every time I want to use it.
Jordy,
Is your truck lifted? I have a six inch lift and was wondering how the fifth wheel hook up works on a lifted set up...
OGS

Danhercules
03-23-2004, 06:36 AM
You dont have to grease you 5th wheel. They make teflon (sp) pads that you can use.
I like a 5th wheel connection cause one person can do it very quick.

Jordy
03-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Jordy,
Is your truck lifted? I have a six inch lift and was wondering how the fifth wheel hook up works on a lifted set up...
OGS
All I did was crank up the torsion bars on the front to clear 285's. With the HD Chevy there is alread a 2" body lift to clear the Allison in the tranny tunnel. I don't have a problem getting under any gooseneck I've pulled. There is some adustment in the hitch on most trailers to level it out so you're spreading the load equally on both axles.
As far as running with a 6" lift, it can be done, but then you run into fun things like flipping the axles on the trailer and putting them under the leaf springs to get the extra height needed. Then you need a step ladder to get in and out of the trailer, not to mention how the ramp geometry changes with the extra height. Also, the center of gravity on the trailer is now higher and side wind becomes more of an issue.
As far as the cost, they're relatively inexpensive. I think I paid $300 for the pop up gooseneck, but installation was an additional $300-$400. And in Arizona you can run doubles with a gooseneck if you so desire.
After hooking it up a few times, one person can do it really quickly too. Then if you take the trailer somewhere and want to throw something in the bed you don't have to worry about a hitch taking up half the space. You don't have to pull it out, just push the lever and the ball drops down. Easy as that. :D

OGShocker
03-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Thank you Jordy!

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Check out www.turnoverball.com

Jordy
03-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by TANG-INATOR
Check out www.turnoverball.com
With that one you have to get in and out of the bed as well as reaching up under the wheel well. Way to much work... :D :D :D

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 09:08 AM
With that one you have to get in and out of the bed as well as reaching up under the wheel well. Way to much work...
True but it leaves no rails in the bed. Thats always a +!:D :D :D

Jordy
03-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by TANG-INATOR
True but it leaves no rails in the bed. Thats always a +!:D :D :D
Neither does this one and you don't have to get in the bed.
http://www.qualitybumper.com/trailer_hitches/popup_hitches/images/popup_anim.gif
Jordy (always looking out for the fat lazy people, I mean looking to work smarter not harder ;) ):D

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok, I give. What brand is that? Do they make the adapter like T.O.B. does for the 5th wheel?...Your pic looks just like the T.O.B....Thanks
LOve the sig>>fat lazzzzy man here!

Speedin' Ian
03-23-2004, 09:36 AM
I have an F-250 CC LB with a 4in lift and I tow a fifth wheel no problem. The fifth wheel hitch is a bit of a hassle to put in and out of a tall truck by yourself, but by no means impossible. Also with the hitch out of the truck you retain your full bed and hooking up to the trailer is a sinch by yourself. Kilrtoy if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm, I live in Thousand Oaks, so I'm close if you want to check it out. Also the teflon pad is way better than running grease.